review from idparts

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Great, job, Corey! Nice, legs, too. :p

Sucks that they now curse the Golf with the pano roof. I guess you can't get a regular sunroof anymore on them? Having experienced how awful the pano roof is in Jetta wagons, Audi A3s, Tiguans, and pretty much any other vehicle that has/had one, I'd steer clear of that option. It would at least be tolerable if they made the shade solid, but on a sunny day it may as well not even be there. :rolleyes:

Looks like you'll have to use the same oil filter drain adapter as the late VR6s and many of the 2.5L 5cyl engines (unless you want to make a giant mess). T40057 is the SST number, hopefully it is the same.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Thanks great video, to bad about the oil filter. But only have to deal with it once per year. I'm more in interested in the S model. Hope that we will be able to get the 2 door Golf TDI here in N.A. Please VW.
No sun roof for this Golfer that would be a deal breaker.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Great, job, Corey! Nice, legs, too. :p

Sucks that they now curse the Golf with the pano roof. I guess you can't get a regular sunroof anymore on them? Having experienced how awful the pano roof is in Jetta wagons, Audi A3s, Tiguans, and pretty much any other vehicle that has/had one, I'd steer clear of that option. It would at least be tolerable if they made the shade solid, but on a sunny day it may as well not even be there. :rolleyes:

Looks like you'll have to use the same oil filter drain adapter as the late VR6s and many of the 2.5L 5cyl engines (unless you want to make a giant mess). T40057 is the SST number, hopefully it is the same.
Shame. I love that roof. Buy the lesser model? Cant wait to hear reviews on that rood in SEL/Highline (Canada)...cars...1.8T and TDIs...

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Having experienced how awful the pano roof is in Jetta wagons, Audi A3s, Tiguans, and pretty much any other vehicle that has/had one, I'd steer clear of that option. It would at least be tolerable if they made the shade solid, but on a sunny day it may as well not even be there
Is this a design or durability issue(s)?

oilhammer

TDI
Is this a design or durability issue(s)?
Both, and a personal preference. They are complex and fragile... two things that Volkswagen already has issues with. If the car gets wrecked, even seemingly a minor crash, the top can be tweaked enough as to never ever be right again. Leaks, rattles, odd behavior, etc.

The other thing is the greenhouse effect. The shade simply doesn't do enough to block the sun out, so on hot sunny days the A/C just has a hard time keeping up. I'm in and out of a LOT of these cars, there is a HUGE difference in A/C performance with and without the pano roof.

I am (and always have been) a fan of sunroofs, but the basic ones, the old steel sliders. I've owned a lot of cars with those over the years, still have one. They work great, and I use them often. I've never been a fan of the glass ones, because the "glass shut/shade open" mode of operation isn't something I would ever care to use much. It only really works on a not-so-sunny day when it is cool(er) out. And I find it annoying that while the shade opens with the glass roof, it won't shut with it.

If a sunroof was available a'la carte with any trim level, I'd gladly select it. It is the one fluffy someone useless item on a car I would allow myself. But if the pano roof is the new sunroof, then I'd forgo it in favor of nothing at all.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The other thing is the greenhouse effect. The shade simply doesn't do enough to block the sun out, so on hot sunny days the A/C just has a hard time keeping up. I'm in and out of a LOT of these cars, there is a HUGE difference in A/C performance with and without the pano roof.
You aren't kidding about that part, my JSW is HOT in the summer & the shade does NOTHING to help. I'll say that in the Golf 7, though, the shade is much more light-blocking than in the JSW.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I do my best to skip sunroofs altogether. But like oilhammer says, the one I like the best is the metal one in the Mercedes.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Nice review guys. i am wondering if you tried to remove the rear headrests and fold the seats flat? I have no real reason to think this way but I am guessing that the golf and golfwagon will either both be fold flat or neither will be.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Oil filter and no independent rear def kinda weird but none tdi models that don't have def tanks still torsion beam?

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
All 2015 TDIs have DEF. Passat and the Jetta will retain IRS.
Any thoughts on whether or not the MKVII Golf Sportwagen TDI will have IRS or a torsion beam? It is certainly longer than the MKVII Golf TDI by about 12 inches. It is 2 inches shorter than the MKVI Jetta and a foot shorter than the B7 Passat which like you said retain IRS but they are not on the MQB platform. The MQB Audi A3 TDI has torsion beam and it is 175 inches long. You would think the new wagon would have enough room to support both IRS and the DEF tank, but I guess we won't know till we see it. I hope they don't install the torsion beam just to keep costs lower.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The 4 motion TDI Sportwagen I saw in NY had IRS. But I don't know if that's any indicator or not, as that driveline isn't coming here. I think we'll have to wait and see. My understanding is we won't see the Sportwagen until January.

oilhammer

TDI
Double (or triple) ugh. I wonder if the TSI filter is also inaccessible?

As has been stated before, 90% of the "new" TSI 1.8L engine is the same as the 2.0L turbo gas direct injection engine, which has been around since 2007. This includes the [oddly enough] screw on oil filter that is mounted upside down, right on top of the engine. It has a built-in valve that prevents spillage during service. The newest engines, though, I think have switched back to a cartridge style oil filter thankfully, but it is still in the same location.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
There's nothing wrong with that torsion beam.
The torsion beam axle actually rides quite nice compared to the solid beam axle, at least from a '13 Jett a to a '15 Golf

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
When I drove the '15 Golf and my '12 Golf back to back on the same route the differences in rear suspension were apparent. The '12 has a more compliant ride (probably my donut tires) but on hard turns the '12 rotates better, pushes less, and can be provoked to drift if you lift in a turn. The '15 just pushed (understeer).

Having said that, I have never had a complaint about the axle/trailing arm suspension in earlier VWs. I think if you drove the car in isolation you'd never know the difference.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
There's nothing wrong with that torsion beam.
Less money to make, lighter, less money to maintain. More reliable perhaps...

As Peter says, this isn't a race/luxury car that needs every inch of handling performance.

oilhammer

TDI
I'd much rather they make some of the components that are known weak spots more robust, which they may have. I'd give up IRS for a higher durability turbo actuator.

...getting good at replacing those without yanking the turbo now, though! :p

scotthershall

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd
Great video, indeed. I'm happy someone finally removed the engine cover and allow us to take a peek!! Seeing it on the lift was great too.

I'm still stuck between the Golf and the Passat. I like the style of the Golf, but I like the roominess of the Passat. I plan on keeping the car for 10+ years... if I have kids along the way, the extra room in the back seat will be nice. I also like the Golf because it's a truly global platform but I'm not sure it matters that much. And I do love the utility of a hatchback. I guess I'll be checking out the Golf Sportwagen too...

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Now that is the best car review I have ever watched loved how you show the workings of the car.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
just watched part of the video again and i was glad to see that we get the traditional style handbrake and not the rumored electric one.

alkmisc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta (6 speed)
Looks like lots of room under that rear floor. I think I could fit most of what's in my toolbox under there. Looks like a full size spare might also fit if the diameter of the spare tire well is big enough...if someone could measure...