Results are in 3-4 MPG increase!

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I will have to look into those; the tires on it now are some generic brand and starting to get noisy...will check into those Michelins and see what I come up with. Thanks!
For VW owners, don't bother with the hydroedge because they are not the correct load rating.

I used to have a 2000 Saturn SL with Hydroedges and they worked very nicely.

Also, they're great for MPG, especially when worn in a little... just don't ever try them in the snow.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I filled up the Saturn TDI on Friday, and found that I got 67.49 mpg out of it, so I am more than happy with this figure! Now I'm looking at what it will take to hit the 70 mpg mark...
very impressive.

what is the weight difference between the saturn and a jetta?

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Today I had my son assist me to set my timing to 4.2-4.5 in adaption, the car sounds wonderful , it seems to have better umph and I will now need to carefully log mpg and report back later. Happy for now! :D

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Today I had my son assist me to set my timing to 4.2-4.5 in adaption, the car sounds wonderful , it seems to have better umph and I will now need to carefully log mpg and report back later. Happy for now! :D

That's a super nice running avg MPG to start with, it will be cool to see what it goes up to now. I'm staying tuned! BTW, I'm at 4.5 degrees myself :) I meant to ask you, I know you fairly recently changed your T-stat since it was only getting to 170, and you are now seeing 195 or so. Did you realize any MPG increases from that? 25 degree change, I would expect that you would have seen 2 MPG or so.

Last edited:

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
Josh... really don't want to highjack this thread... thought I'd replied on your other thread on t-stats and I really don't know with any certainty that I realized anything substatial... sorry. :)

TTBalticBlueMKIV

TDI
03' Golf TDI
I've read this entire thread and decided this was something I wanted to try. However after I did the adaption. Every I'd say 30-40 seconds the motor makes a droning sound for about 5-8 seconds. Other than that it sounds more like my big trucks and it revs nicely. What I would like to know is if this is normal? I haven't heard anyone speak of this yet. My timing is at 33268 now went from factory .1 to 1.0 after the adaption 4.6btdc to 3.5btdc after watching for awhile. That is the first box at-least and the second box varies with +.0 to +.8 btdc. If anyone can shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it. I just did a TB on my car and figured while I was setting the mechanical timing I would go ahead and adjust the adaption. Thanks ahead of time.

manual_tranny

TDI
I think the droning noise is unrelated, but I don't know. Maybe take a look at the EGR and perhaps try the adaptation mod that reduces the EGR cycles?

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I went from the factory setting to 4degress BTDC. I seem to have lees power on the bottom end.

Anyone else notice this after making this adjustment?

df

seaglf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Automatic
low MPG

I have been having [problems for awhile now with MPG's I have a 2002 TDI golf Auto and when I first got it i was getting about 45 on the highway, now I am getting 35-37. without going into a long list of things Iv'e done. I did have the timing belt changed with an dieselgeek 100,00 mile belt, by a TDI guru from this site. Is it possible to have the belt installed incorrectly and if so how do I check.

I have a Rosstech VCDS now.

TTBalticBlueMKIV

TDI
03' Golf TDI
I think the droning noise is unrelated, but I don't know. Maybe take a look at the EGR and perhaps try the adaptation mod that reduces the EGR cycles?
I did the tb and then I drove for a little bit. Everything was like before except it was a little quieter. I then did the adaption and now I have the droning noise. I'll have to check the egr adaption. I know the numbers in vcds are really high for the egr, but that is the nature of this timing adaption.

manual_tranny

TDI
I went from the factory setting to 4degress BTDC. I seem to have lees power on the bottom end.

Anyone else notice this after making this adjustment?

df
Yes and no. Depending on your tune and modifications you may or may not notice a loss in power at lower rpms. Shifting the entire map forward seems to help the engine rev freer and give a little extra power at high rpms. (2500-4500)

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm reporting back as promised..... my car runs great, MPG have gone up 5-6 mpg and I achieved my first ever 70.79 mpg tank in my 187k history! No guff.. I filled the tank right into the filler neck to runnout (I'm vented as well). THis works! My car just purrs happily away to boot. Now we'll see if this can be repeated tank to tank? Thanks to Cage, Boundless, and all you other engineers! For the nay sayers your negative input keeps us all in spec. ;)

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
216's 11mm pump tried this mod and kept it 4.5 advance 4 + mpg better good mod. if my motor blows I will let you all know. keeping 4.0 to be safe.

Last edited:

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Almost 500 posts and I did not see one that has had any problems with adaption advance. For the record my beetle had over 350k with adaption at the max (stock except larger injectors for the last 150k or so) and my Golf has been at max from 70k.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
To add some icing to this cake, this is exactly what tuners do when you by various levels of tune. I was told I would be too advanced it I bought this particular tune due to his tune advancing timing as well. Of course, they change other parameters (boost level, fueling amount, etc) but timing plays a role as well.

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
Okay, so I did the TB change last weekend, and to time the IP I followed this procedure in the FAQ (since I don't have a factory service manual):

Section 7. K. of the TDIFAQ's:

If you don't have the factory service manual, select "Measuring Blocks", and go to group 4. Do NOT use "basic settings" for this method. The displays show the requested injection timing, the actual measured injection timing, and the duty cycle of the advance solenoid. At warm idle in neutral, requested timing should be between 0.4 and 2.0 degrees BTDC. If the actual timing is not more than roughly 3.0 degrees BTDC, and the duty cycle of the advance solenoid is not more than 10%, the timing is good ... don't do anything further. If actual timing is more than 3.0 degrees BTDC, you need to make a mechanical "retard" adjustment. If the duty cycle is more than 10%, you need to make a mechanical "advance" adjustment.

The engine started and idled fine, though I remarked to my wife that it sounded a bit "growly". Anyway, after plugging in my VC and following the steps above I saw these readings:

Specified advance: 1.8 degrees
Actual advance: 16.4 degrees
Duty cycle: 2.x%

I made a mechanical retard adjustment, which brought the actual down to 7 degrees. A second brought it down to 4.4 degrees, and a third down to 2.9 degrees, so that's where I left it. Specified advance and duty cycle didn't change. The engine sounds very smooth, starts the instant the button is hit, and seems to make full power (never impressive, but that's not why I bought this, my third VW diesel).

I'll check the numbers when I get to work.

Here are the numbers after a 20 minute drive to work.

Specified: 0.4 *BTDC
Actual: 2.9 *BTDC
Duty cycle: 2.8%

Off to read about adaptation, I guess! ;)

Last edited:

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
mechanical advance is still a tad too much. The 2.8% duty cycle means the ecu isn't advancing the timing at all and it's still 1.5 deg advanced from requested.

are you trying to set it up to be stock or the 5 degree advance talked about in this thread?

you could leave it where it is and not have any problems.

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
mechanical advance is still a tad too much. The 2.8% duty cycle means the ecu isn't advancing the timing at all and it's still 1.5 deg advanced from requested.

are you trying to set it up to be stock or the 5 degree advance talked about in this thread?

you could leave it where it is and not have any problems.
I'm trying to set it up to be 5 degrees advanced.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
you'll want to do the adaptation to 5 degrees and then set the mechanical to 5 degrees as well (actual matches specified) with duty cycle at 2.8% would be dead on.

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
Well, that was interesting...I changed the adaptation from 32768 the full 500 points to 33268 and here's what I see in the timing boxes:

Specified: 7.0 *BTDC
Actual: 7.0 *BTDC
Duty cycle: 74.9%

Took it out for a short spin and the car seemed peppier than it has been in years, but I'm going to roll it back to 5 degrees.

VWRacer1

Veteran Member
Wow...almost a simulpost! ;)

Reduced the adaptation to 33075 to get the advance down to 5 degree specified and actual, but the duty cycle is 69%. Is that bad?

vag_man

TDI
audi a4 b5 1.9 tdi quattro
Hi
My timing is slightly advance but i am a bit confuse??. on vsdc graph
the horizontal yellow line on timing is between 140-150. Its that right setting?
I checked VCDS online demonstration and should be on 120( I don't know what that means?) i know the 2 yellow lines are ; horizontal one is timing at the pump(my one is 140-150) and vertical is fuel temperature.
Can any one tell me if the horizontal one is set up correctly or the timing is to far out??:confused::confused:
thanks

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
First thing to check is the dropdown list and make sure you've selected the correct engine series. If not, the numbers and red/blue/green lines can be significantly off. If you are correct, then it would seem your fuel temperature is pretty (more like very) hot. Can you post a pic of the graph?