Resetting Service Reminder 09 TDI

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
With 60K on the clock on my 09 TDI, I recently had my oil change completed at a non-VW German specialty shop, and today (at 62,500 miles) for the first time ever I received a "service in X miles or x days" warning light in the mfd. (I always wondered if this car had a reminder, but even after exceeding 10K (by a few hundred miles) it has never previously appeared)

After review the owners manual, I've found that "an authorized dealer or service center" is required to "know how" to reset the service warning.

PLEASE... got to be an easy way, but it has me stumped.

Anyone with an 09 that can share the wisdom please...

Thanks

Wes

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
boerssd said:
Go to the settings menu on the MFD and choose the service option. You'll see an option under there to reset the service interval.

Sean.
Nope, not on mine. There is no "service option" shown on my MFD menu. Seriously I think they've hidden it somewhere... HELP... there is probably a logical sequence of button pushing that will result in a reset. Does anyone know what it is?

Wes

Beardrick

TDI
2009 Platinum/Anthracite Jetta wagon
It's actually in the manual: 1) Press & hold odometer reset button 2) turn ignition switch on while holding button down - don't start 3) press minute clock set button - done!

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Beardrick said:
It's actually in the manual: 1) Press & hold odometer reset button 2) turn ignition switch on while holding button down - don't start 3) press minute clock set button - done!
Thank you so much. I can assure you it is NOT in the manual I received. My manual says "to have a dealer or authorized VW service center reset"....

My Jetta is a loyalty Edition, one of the first made, and the manuals that came with this were actually the 09 gasser version, with a tiny supplement regarding the requirements of the diesel engine. I've heard there were later manuals specifically for the TDI.

I'll try this procedure later today... thanks so much.

Wes

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
Beardrick said:
My question is.. let say you change oil prior to service waning coming on. If you reset via this method, will it reset for another 10k? or does waning need to be activated first?

thanks, Gary

Beardrick

TDI
2009 Platinum/Anthracite Jetta wagon
Based on my experience it resets the mileage to the next warning (10K miles or 15K Kilometers if set correctly)

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
As I recently discussed in another thread, I recently had just the 40K DSG oil change done at my dealers, at about 39K, and I specifically told them to not do any of the rest of the 40K service, as I do those things myself. Anyway, I was surprised to realize just now that here I am at 41K and I never saw a service warning message this time around...the tech must have reset it after doing the DSG oil change. Not cool.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
DoctorDawg said:
As I recently discussed in another thread, I recently had just the 40K DSG oil change done at my dealers, at about 39K, and I specifically told them to not do any of the rest of the 40K service, as I do those things myself. Anyway, I was surprised to realize just now that here I am at 41K and I never saw a service warning message this time around...the tech must have reset it after doing the DSG oil change. Not cool.
I've changed my oil at a VW dealer every 10K EXCEPT the last one which was at a local VW specialty shop. They did not reset the service reminder. This was actually the first time I'd EVER seen it, and on all my oil changes except the first two, I exceeded the 10K by a few miles.

My point being, not sure what the factory default is for the reminder, but it's a little more than 10K, at least on my 09.

Wes

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
DoctorDawg said:
I've changed my oil at a VW dealer every 10K EXCEPT the last one which was at a local VW specialty shop. They did not reset the service reminder. This was actually the first time I'd EVER seen it, and on all my oil changes except the first two, I exceeded the 10K by a few miles.

My point being, not sure what the factory default is for the reminder, but it's a little more than 10K, at least on my 09.

Wes