Resale value in light of recent events

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
Here is my take. Thank you VW for attempting to deliver want the driver wants. Driver wants fun fast and efficient. So VW attacked a loop whole and over took bland toyota in US sales. I bet the majority of drivers would of paided for said defeat programing... i know i would have.. maybe they should have gone that route. Sell a compliant car that under an aftermarket own company sold the fun. They knew what we wanted and tried...will i file class action? Yes. will i participate in a buy back? Yes. Will i lose my strong affection to VW Adui and German engineering. Nope... gota play to win... my two cents

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
my 2016 was due to be built in about 12 days....crap. you can't even buy another car that has a manual and the tech features available in the golf/jetta. there's literally nothing else available.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Hard to say the resale value of all affected TDIs, but for the 2015's specifically, it could be a really funny scenario.

I actually don't think this is the end of the TDIs in the USA, but if it were, we'd have the very last of an extinct species! That could be interesting.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I think this whole thing will be old news in a year from now. And just like most of us, when the price of GASOLINE rises again, there will be plenty of people who will want a TDI to save money on fuel costs. Our cars will still be worth what their worth. I have no fear over this whole situation.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
People tend to want what they can't have.

The government wants to ban them, they must be good, is what a lot of people might think.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Four points to ponder. Only one is not going to happen in the next year (guess which one):

1. The American public will forget about the “dieselgate” fiasco in one year.

2. Our TDIs will still be running just fine and be fun to drive.

3. Used TDI values will be back to normal

4. Elon Musk will be running for President

:D

avvblanc01

TDI
2015 TDI sportwagen
Yeah I think if you sold your car currently, then its resale price would take a hit. A year from now no one will even remember. heck even now, the only people that really know or care about this are the ones that own a TDI or are car enthusiasts.

Did the EPA mpg rating scandal effect other car makers a few years back? nope. I can't even remember who was involved. I think it was nissan?

anyway, the one thing both of these scandals point out though is that the EPA rating system is a joke, which is something we have all known for a while.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Well my 73 year old father said he saw it on the news. I told him about the sky falling talk in the other thread and said with confidence I will continue to drive like nothing is going on. Really until there is a fix that's what I'm going to do. If folks want to dump their cars or debadge them then they should do whatever helps them sleep better at night. As for me and my TDI we will motor on until the details of the fix are released.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Huh :confused::confused::confused: VW cheated on the test no way around that, maybe the test was unfair but if so do not sell TDI's here or find a way to comply , it may cost them more money and maybe they felt we would not pay the premium but the fact is they cheated and got caught, are they the only one my guess would be no but they got caught. VW sales in the US suck, they do not understand what most US drivers want, they are not competitive in trucks, cuv or Suv. I assume you meant passing Toyota in world sales not US sales. And they sold them as clean diesels and now they are no where close to clean. For those who do not care about emissions they delete the DPF and go on their merry way. I think a good amount of TDI people do not do that.

Here is my take. Thank you VW for attempting to deliver want the driver wants. Driver wants fun fast and efficient. So VW attacked a loop whole and over took bland toyota in US sales. I bet the majority of drivers would of paided for said defeat programing... i know i would have.. maybe they should have gone that route. Sell a compliant car that under an aftermarket own company sold the fun. They knew what we wanted and tried...will i file class action? Yes. will i participate in a buy back? Yes. Will i lose my strong affection to VW Adui and German engineering. Nope... gota play to win... my two cents

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Lots of misinformation out there. Every Audi and VW 2.0L diesel since '09 is affected, including 2015s. All NMS Passats are affected as well, even though they don't appear on some lists.

You're right and there shouldn't be. Per the EPA, 2009-2015 2.0 TDIs. All of them. Per VWofA, 2009-2015 2.0 TDIs. All of them. Any article that says otherwise is wrong. I can't understand why peole are having great difficulty wrapping ther heads around this simplistic concept. The EPA and the US subsidiary of Volkswagen are the only two sources that matter in the US. In Canada, Transport Canada and VW of Canada.

I can't believe people are going to Volkswagen's UK site and using the VIN check there. You have two press releases; one from VWofA and one from the EPA. They don't contradict each other. They are clearly written and explicitly clear. What is the problem? EU regulations are different. Any information not thru official domestic sources in your home market doesn't matter.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Technically 2016 are affected as well as they have a stop sale on them and are holding them at port.

On the topic of resale value there is a WSJ article saying there has been a 13% drop on the value of our beloved TDIs. I'm not worried at this point as I will be in a holding pattern until this mess is sorted.

With all that said I am very unhappy with VW over this.

Last edited:

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I did check with the dealer last night, to see if it's worth trading to a GSW. Yeah, there is a $2000 bonus, but the dealer said they are dinging trade ins by $1500+ compared to blue book. So really you are still worse off, and the dealer is the only one that benefits (unless you are trading in a non-TDI ).

gnuworldorder

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I did check with the dealer last night, to see if it's worth trading to a GSW. Yeah, there is a $2000 bonus, but the dealer said they are dinging trade ins by $1500+ compared to blue book. So really you are still worse off, and the dealer is the only one that benefits (unless you are trading in a non-TDI ).
Good thing to know my car with 3600 miles on it is worth less than the loan I took out for it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SpecialTest

TDI
'15 GSW TDI S
Good thing to know my car with 3600 miles on it is worth less than the loan I took out for it

That's kinda how new cars work. As soon as you sign the papers, the car is usually worth about 20-25% less than 5 seconds earlier before you signed the paper.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man

I wouldn't worry too much about it. This is with pre-adblue models, which they believe will need an expensive retrofit. Comparatively, they said my MK7 shouldn't need that, so the $1500 adjustment was high. They said they would get back to me, since my car is too new so they don't know what bluebook is and needed "manager" approval to quote a trade in.

But keep this is mind:
1) The $1500 adjustment is WORST CASE scenario on the worst affected vehicles, and the dealer is doing this to save their own butts (they don't know the reality either). They will offer less to be cautious, rather than offering a lot and assuming the risk.
2) I have been to that dealer MANY times, and I have never seen 1/2 as many people in there. The $2000 bonus REALLY got everyone's attention, and the dealer is probably using that to their advantage.

If you have a MK7, they probably wouldn't ding you by $1500, and if they dealer was desperate, they probably wouldn't ding you by $1500 either. I'll add to the discussion when they give me a firm number.

gnuworldorder

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
That's kinda how new cars work. As soon as you sign the papers, the car is usually worth about 20-25% less than 5 seconds earlier before you signed the paper.
Before this whole thing I was looking at my car being worth about 23k now kbb says its worth 20k but after a 1500$ hit on top it is worth 18k. Which happens to be how much my loan is. Honestly i m not planning of ditching it any time soon I'm just concerned if some yinzer jagoff hits me and totals it I won't be able to cover my loan

SagaciousB

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
After seeing the loyalty incentive, I just got a quote over the phone at a local dealer for my 2013 Golf TDI 4-door DSG with 24k miles.
$12.5k-$13k, depending on condition. What? Are they kidding? Prior to the scandal, my kbb trade-in value was somewhere around $19k. Are they honestly trying to tell me my car has de-valued like $6k because of this? That's not a very big vote of confidence from the dealer.
Listed prices for my model are still in the $17.5-19k range on Auto Trader.
It is probably best to just wait this out, even with the incentive. Then wait for gas prices to go back up to $3.97/gal

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
It's not a good time to trade or sell. It is a good time to hold onto your TDI and let this thing blow over. I honestly want to get rid of mine because I am mad at VW but it just doesn't make financial sense. I truly feel for those in a bad financial situation who are forced to sell....for me its hold hold hold. Hold onto your TDI folks!

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
What you owe on the car and what the car is worth is mutually exclusive. I owe nothing on my car, does it mean I should get what I owe? I never understood, why people think they should get what they owe.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I wouldn't trust KBB too much. Dealers use this to sell cars, not buy/value cars.

The most accurate value is wholesale auctions (which is usually limited to dealers). Second to that, I would try NADA.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
It's not a good time to trade or sell. It is a good time to hold onto your TDI and let this thing blow over. I honestly want to get rid of mine because I am mad at VW but it just doesn't make financial sense. I truly feel for those in a bad financial situation who are forced to sell....for me its hold hold hold. Hold onto your TDI folks!
I'd second that. It's classic panic mentality. I was checking in out of curiosity, and because they have the exact model/options/color I want on the lot. I actually tried the same thing a few months ago, but we were about $1000 from having it make sense. I figured I would see if the bonus would fix that issue. Anyone who sells for a huge loss is going to regret it in a few months.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Car values provided by dealers (or just about anyone else, including KBB) are pretty fungible. Whether or not it's a trade, if it's a car a dealer can CPO or will auction off, and many other factors affect the quote.

Keep in mind right now if you ask a VW dealer for a quote on your TDI they're facing taking in a car without any indication of when they'll be able to sell it. That will affect the appraisal.

And selling a vehicle because you're angry is pretty much a guarantee of taking a financial hit, no matter what the reason for the anger. Patience will win out here.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
And selling a vehicle because you're angry is pretty much a guarantee of taking a financial hit, no matter what the reason for the anger. Patience will win out here.
I couldn't believe how busy the dealer was yesterday. The salesman I have been working with had basically no time for me. He handed me keys, threw a plate on the car and walked away. "Take it on the usual test drive loop, or not, wherever you like!"

If the 'bonus' is having the same affect at all dealerships, they have zero incentive to help anyone out. It was like a Labor Day sale, but it's a rainy Tuesday night.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Really? That's the reason you want to get rid of your car? And then purchase from a manufacturer that has never had a blemish on their record?
We get lied to all of our lives.
True story. 'Up to 40x' means rarely this much, probably not even 1/4 of that for most people. And that's just for CARB emissions, not EPA.

But which is more likely to kill you? NOX from a VW or a gas leak (Mazda 3), locking up front wheels (Honda Fit), random ignition failures (GM), stuck throttles (Toyota), etc.

I get that everyone is up in arms because it involves cheating, but let's be rational and realize when it's just a big deal because it's part of the current news cycle. Once a fix is proposed, it will drop out of the news within a week.