Resale value in light of recent events

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
?......Like all of us I am curious about how VW is going to address this. Some money would be nice. :cool:
Me too, on the money. I'll keep my TDI. Don't need no steekin' software reflash, just a few hundred bucks from VW for more D2.:D:D

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
it's better to be able to trade the car in at 30k miles and not loose your shirt

Let's face it. VW service is expensive. If you buy the car at a good price, take care of it, and trade it in at a non VW dealership you should do great.. but you can't because of #dieselgate

I didn't plan on paying for a DSG service, LNT service, timing belt replacement. In my mind I figured trade it in at 30k.

My commute changed, no longer require 108 miles/day. my daily commute is back down to 38 miles/day. I would prefer a Wrangler again. Roads are terible in New England and.. offroading with my sons is a lot of fun.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Let's face it. VW service is expensive. If you buy the car at a good price, take care of it, and trade it in at a non VW dealership you should do great.. but you can't because of #dieselgate.
Of course you can. Look on Craigslist. Plenty of diesels for sale, and prices don't seem to have changed much since the EPA notice of violation. You might do better in a few months or a year when the dust settles, but maybe not.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Asking price and actual selling price aren't the same thing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Never has been. But asking prices on CL haven't changed much, if at all.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I see the TDIs on Craigslist still for sale for a long period of time.
It doesn't matter what the price might be if the car doesn't sell.
Cheap enough and it will sell.
Too high a price and you see the ad for a long time.

Q400Pylot

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Id be really happy if they gave us a trade in incentive or lowered the price of GTI's for us. I love my TDI but I want a GTI now.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
I had a 2016 GTI S with performance package, lighting package and DSG on order July 2015. Build date was early October and early to mid November was delivery and I was going to trade in my 2015 Golf TDI until this recall happen and I had to take my deposit back because the dealer told me my car is only worth $13,000 and the GTI hadn't even arrived. It was a pretty upsetting hearing what they offered me so I just told them f$#k you I want my deposit back and now I'm patiently waiting hoping that VW will have a buy back program so I could get myself into a Golf R. I honestly like my ALH better then CRUA. Out of curiosity I recently went to another dealer and they offered me $16,000 and that's no where near my book value for a dealer trade in. VWoA is supposedly buying used TDI's off the dealers lot for book value and dealers are still trying to take advantage of their customers. Another nice sales man walked out after I did and told me to hang onto my car because he thinks they're going to have a buy back program. THE DEALER WAS A GRAVEYARD I was the only customer.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I looked on Autotrader today for used 2015 cars and 2015 used Golf TDIs are $22-25K. I think your dealer was lowballing you, big time. But even if you do get a fair offer you're going to take a pretty big hit on a car that is one model year old. Whatever you trade in the first year of ownership, it's going to be expensive.

I've been shopping for 2014 and 2015 TDIs to see if there are any deals out there, and I haven't found any. As others have posted, who knows if cars are selling, but asking prices aren't exactly in the basement.

I don't think VWoA is buying any cars back, at least not now. And if they did it's unlikely yours would be eligible. They're more likely to buy back cars that aren't worth repairing, and by most accounts all yours needs is a reflash to comply with EPA regs.

Unless you try to sell privately before the recall is announced, it sounds like your beset bet is to wait.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
I looked on Autotrader today for used 2015 cars and 2015 used Golf TDIs are $22-25K. I think your dealer was lowballing you, big time. But even if you do get a fair offer you're going to take a pretty big hit on a car that is one model year old. Whatever you trade in the first year of ownership, it's going to be expensive.

I've been shopping for 2014 and 2015 TDIs to see if there are any deals out there, and I haven't found any. As others have posted, who knows if cars are selling, but asking prices aren't exactly in the basement.

I don't think VWoA is buying any cars back, at least not now. And if they did it's unlikely yours would be eligible. They're more likely to buy back cars that aren't worth repairing, and by most accounts all yours needs is a reflash to comply with EPA regs.

Unless you try to sell privately before the recall is announced, it sounds like your beset bet is to wait.
VW needs to offer a buy back program for all TDI's sold on the market with a lie if they want to keep their reputation in the OKAY zone. I was aware of my negative equity trading in my golf, but it wasn't anything crazy and the down payment was going to cover it.

exbauer

TDI
MK7 Golf
I am dealing the limbo of resale value of my TDI. Things have changed and I need something bigger with AWD. I ordered a new car from the dealer and it's suppose to come in this month. The trade in value before Dieselgate and now is a joke. I don't blame the dealer since I'm not buying a VW and the car goes to a wholesale/auction from what they said. I talked to my local VW dealer to trade it in and they came back with a really low number as well.

I mentioned to my VW dealer that VW will buy back the TDI at prices before Dieselgate if they sat on the lot a certain amount of time. They knew nothing about it.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...-price-guarantee-on-used-diesel-vehicles.html

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
My thoughts are a car is a tearable investment. If you buy a Tdi to save money and pay for service you will lose money in the the long run. Example Buick Onclave 40 dollar oil change at Buick, wife Touareg 400 dollar service at VW. 2015 golf Tdi 20 k service 350 dollars at VW. Any thing else would be 50 dollars tops. I am starting to rethink that the money you save on fuel get quickly eating up mantanince.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
exbauer, it looks like that buyback program is for vehicles dealers in inventory on September 18, not ones taken in since then. Doesn't look like that will help you.

If you have a 2015 I would think you'd be able to sell it privately without a lot of trouble, as most agree that all those cars will need is a reflash.

dlhovland, sounds like you're comparing apples and oranges: oil changes to complete routine maintenance. I don't have any experience with GM vehicles, but I know Subaru, Honda, and Toyota maintenance costs at the dealer are similar to VW.

HSG

TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
exbauer, it looks like that buyback program is for vehicles dealers in inventory on September 18, not ones taken in since then. Doesn't look like that will help you.

If you have a 2015 I would think you'd be able to sell it privately without a lot of trouble, as most agree that all those cars will need is a reflash.

dlhovland, sounds like you're comparing apples and oranges: oil changes to complete routine maintenance. I don't have any experience with GM vehicles, but I know Subaru, Honda, and Toyota maintenance costs at the dealer are similar to VW.
Can confirm. My mom just bought a Subaru Impreza and the dealer maintenance cost for the first 36k miles (they recommend maintenance every 6k miles) was almost twice as expensive than combination of VW Care and VW Care Plus. Subaru, Honda, Toyota are always raging about how inexpensive and easy the maintenance is. But of course, for any car of any type you are going to save a lot of money if you don't go the dealer maintenance route.

Also just checked autotrader.com for used Golf TDI S prices, and they're pretty much in line with what i paid for the car in July. All listings from dealers.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Also just checked autotrader.com for used Golf TDI S prices, and they're pretty much in line with what i paid for the car in July. All listings from dealers.
I've seen those listings too, and I bet they're for cars the dealer cannot currently sell but haven't been pulled from third party sites for one reason or another. If I were a dealer I'd leave the ad up because it means the salesperson will get a phone call and may be able to cross sell a different car to the customer.

exbauer

TDI
MK7 Golf

That's what I seems like with the wording on TDIs already being in their inventory. I wish it was that easy selling it on my own. I want to trade it in for tax benefits. Either way, my car has depreciated more than before Dieselgate. It'll be harder to sell privately and will sell for less than before all this happened. I'm now stuck with my car or take a bigger bath than I was already prepared to take. I will wait this out and see what VW proposes as a fix and recourse.