Request for recommendations for competent Garrett rebuild shop for a 1722

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 Golf, 2016 Q5
Please does anyone have recommendations for competent trustworthy Garrett rebuild shop for rebuilding a 1722?

Mine very old and the vane mechanism does not work well anymore... no major failures on it but needs a rebuild for sure...

I wish Garrett still made the 1722

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Turbo lab America .com are very competent for turbo repairs, rebuilds, and making hybrids too. They made my hybrid for me and I have no complaints. The prices they charge are very reasonable, and that might be why they are so busy They are always busy and turnaround times can be somewhat lengthy. My VNT-15/56 is a great turbo, and I have solid boost right around 2k RPM. How old is your 17/22 and where did it come from? I ask because some of the early 17/22's were not built with performance in mind and have a habit of developing surge issues. If you do have a "real" 17/22, and it doesn't require a total rebuild, have it bumped up to a 17/56 for more consistent boost and faster spool, and no surging. I have recommended T L A on this site before and there are quite a few very happy customers with T L A. IIRC, a new billet wheel is around $100.00, machine work is around $100.00, and a rebuild-without major machining-is around $100.00. Looking at theses number I am sure by now there has been some increase in their prices. I sent them a junked VNT-15, they rebuilt it, added a billet wheel, machined it and VSR balanced for $450.00 before shipping. At the time that was about half of the price to buy a replacement VNT-15, and i got a much better turbo too.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 Golf, 2016 Q5
Nevada_TDI

Thank you for the detailed info on TLA. This is exactly what I was looking for. The one I am considering rebuilding is around 13 years old w/ +- 240,000 miles on it. It came from TDI parts at the time, now IDParts and has always performed very well. Lately the vane mechanism are sticking and it is no longer performing well. I am getting no boost at all then surging boost. I think it came to the end of its expected life. I want to rebuild it before it fails suddenly. I will replace it with a GTD1752VRK which just happened to come in today from DHL.

After the rebuild, I am intending to upgrade the one on my Golf, also another 1722 coming near the end of its life. I am not currently in a big rush so waiting now will not be a big deal. Hoping to get my turbo swapped out next week and I will reach out to them.

Much appreciate the help and advice

Turbo lab America .com are very competent for turbo repairs, rebuilds, and making hybrids too. They made my hybrid for me and I have no complaints. The prices they charge are very reasonable, and that might be why they are so busy They are always busy and turnaround times can be somewhat lengthy. My VNT-15/56 is a great turbo, and I have solid boost right around 2k RPM. How old is your 17/22 and where did it come from? I ask because some of the early 17/22's were not built with performance in mind and have a habit of developing surge issues. If you do have a "real" 17/22, and it doesn't require a total rebuild, have it bumped up to a 17/56 for more consistent boost and faster spool, and no surging. I have recommended T L A on this site before and there are quite a few very happy customers with T L A. IIRC, a new billet wheel is around $100.00, machine work is around $100.00, and a rebuild-without major machining-is around $100.00. Looking at theses number I am sure by now there has been some increase in their prices. I sent them a junked VNT-15, they rebuilt it, added a billet wheel, machined it and VSR balanced for $450.00 before shipping. At the time that was about half of the price to buy a replacement VNT-15, and i got a much better turbo too.