*REPLY ASAP* Garage about to use Oil that was reffered to Trading Standards

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
Hi I have a MK4 TDI ALH that is getting an oil change tomorrow and asked what they where going to, they said Kerax Hyperdrive KXR C3 5w30 and upon going home and searching it I found this article https://pmmonline.co.uk/news/vls-escalates-engine-oil-case-to-trading-standards/ stating that this exact oil has a failure to meet HTHS specs! I did some research and some have said this oil is bad for cars with a DPF but for older cars should be fine. Is this okay or do I need to tell them to use a different oil and if so what would be the best that fits every spec? Thank you please reply with any info asap as its due tomorrow

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Any 5w40 oil with an API rating for diesel engines, so anything that starts with C, like CJ-4, CH-4, etc.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Why do you have 2 threads about this?? Annoying is an understatement...

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
Why do you have 2 threads about this?? Annoying is an understatement...
Because I'm worried if it's only in the fuel and lubricants thread it won't get replied to in the three hours I have before I go down and leave a note telling them to use different oil. I'll delete both by then don't worry yourself.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Any 5w40 oil with an API rating for diesel engines, so anything that starts with C, like CJ-4, CH-4, etc.
That's the type oil you want. But the Kerax Hyperdrive KXR C3 5w30 should be O.K, it has the C rating.

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
That's the type oil you want. But the Kerax Hyperdrive KXR C3 5w30 should be O.K, it has the C rating.
I'd be happy with the hyperdrive oil if It hadn't of been for the investigation that showed it lacked HTHS specs, I do like to give it a good booting every now and then so the engine will be under some stress, is it a problem that it performs less than it was rated for?

I'm reading rotella T6 is best choice for MK4 TDI ALH?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
MOAR OIL WARZ!!!

(btw, pretty sure someone in the UK wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't give an F about anything "API", LMAO! :D )

Mk4tdi2022

TDI
Vw ALH MK4 TDI
MOAR OIL WARZ!!!

(btw, pretty sure someone in the UK wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't give an F about anything "API", LMAO! :D )
It's more about it failing HTHS when engine is being pressed. Thinking of just going Rotella T6? Would you use this oil knowing its not living up to its own specs?