Replacment Starter Parts

mako26

TDI
2004 Jetta, 1999 TDI Beetle
Does any one know of a source for replacment parts for Bosch starters and alternators in the US east coast? Thanks Mike

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
Are you looking to replace the starter as a whole unit or just parts?

I find it always more time vs cost effective to replace the whole unit.

I am personally a big fan of Peter at IDparts.com. Alternately any other big box parts supplier should be able to supply you with a OE Supplier quality starter.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Well, what do you need? maybe able to get parts out of another used dead starter . . . .

Subscribed:

mako26

TDI
Hello Guys

I do a little tdi work here in Northen VA and i would like to find a source for bushings, brush sets and such for starter maintenance. I have a Beetle here now for a timing belt and the starter cranks a little slow, battery load tests good, alt tested good, engine starts great now but i can see a possible problem in the dead of winter....Thanks Mike

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
When I relaced the brushes in my '85 Jetta TD (about 10 years ago) I called the Bosch Technical Resorce center and they put me in touch with a Bosch authorized rebuilder and I ordered the parts from them, using the Bosch number on the starter. Unfortunately, the phone number for the Technical Resource Center is in my rollodex at work and I am off work until Tuesday.

Hopefully, you can still get Bosch alternator and starter parts this way. I'll take a look on Tues. and post it in this thread.

I can see why you want to replace just the bad parts. On the '85 the starter got real slugish. I opened it up and found completely worn out brushes and a lot of dirt. For $35 I had it good as new after replacing the brushes, cleaning, and lubing it. A replacement starter would have been $350 for that car!

Try this, I just Googled on Robert Bosch Corp:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Bosch Customer Service:
888-715-3616
(Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm CST; for U.S.)

--Nate

Last edited:

mako26

TDI
Thanks for the tip PDjetta! I will check into it monday, a little maintenance goes a long way !!