Replacing Timing belt what should I expect!

Fiorelli

I'm getting ready to replace my timming belt. What do I need to know. I'm planning on getting the video on this sight, buying the belt on ebay 8025255348 and the Camshaft Lock Plate and Injector Pump Lock pin on e-bay 4600003668 or one simular to that what ever is the cheepest unless there is a better one. Anything else I should do while I'm at it?

Anyother parts you think I need. Or better parts!!!! I have never replaced a timing belt on anything before. I've done lots of repair work and rebuilt lots of engines diesel, gas, lp. I have all the normal tools. I do not have a vag-com never used one and know nothing about it.

I'm in central Nebraska anyone in Nebraska ever done one or know of some one that has that they would trust to do it. Anyone I can call and ask questions if I get into trouble! I'm not going to let someone that knows less than me do this.

Jeremy

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
you will need the tool to counter hold the camshaft as you torque it down.
you will need the tool to pull the camshaft sprocket off of its taper (unless you are a big gorilla-monster-man.)
you need the two pin spanner wrench to set tension on the new tensioner.
I'd getcha a 13mm medium deep socket, a 200mm long, 5mm ball end allen hex bit for those two nasty valve cover bolts under the intake, and a sharpie

and ya better hope your water pump aint siezed (does not apply to gorilla-monster-men/women)

And I just don't know what I'd do without my 1/4" drive deep 10mm :D

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
By the way, you and anyone else is welcome to call me anytime if they get stuck during a belt change, I'll try to help.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Nice to have a vag com after....and the cam lock is necessary....

Beyond that its pretty much just nuts and bolts. Take the valve cover off and verify the cam position(as requested) Lock the cam, and the pump, be careful not to to move the crank(it can move by pulling on the belt during installation.....I KNOW!!)

First time its about 4 or 5 hours before the first beer gets cracked when you hear nice diesel noise again...do the pump and all the pulleys, add another hour or so.

I am sure there are lots of people with vag com's local to you...take a look, most of us are willing to give a hand.

Good luck

Craig B

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
first time for me was 2 hours and No special tools used, other than Vag-com to check and adjust when done.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
craig01b said:
I am sure there are lots of people with vag com's local to you...take a look, most of us are willing to give a hand.
Fiorelli lives in central Nebraska -- nearest person with VAGCOM is probably 200 miles away. Not many TDIs out there, mostly Buicks and Crown Vics.

Considering that they may travel to Lincoln or Fort Collins on shopping trips, TDIs would make perfect sense. But most folks have never heard of them.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
l1o9s7t6 said:
first time for me was 2 hours and No special tools used, other than Vag-com to check and adjust when done.
Plug and pray.....good for those who are brave. Some in here would say foolhardy or worse. Each to his or her own.;)

CB

ThePapaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
None
craig01b said:
Plug and pray.....good for those who are brave. Some in here would say foolhardy or worse. Each to his or her own.;)

CB
More like

MARK and PRAY ~ then you'll Pay, and pay, and pay.... (when you have to pull it to someone else to do the work for you)....

I drove over 4 hours (one way) to get my timing belt / rollers / water pump changed by Jon Hamilton (I live in Lexington KY, Jon is in central OH [West of Columbus]) of www.rallyvw.com and I'm really glad I did. Having someone that has all the tools and the know how is well worth it. I did buy my parts (from Metal Man) and took them with.

My brother, with a 2003 Jetta TDI, will be driving out from Virginia Beach when it is time for his to be done.

John

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
ASE master certified. Ford master certified. I have probably done more TB replacements than most of you put together.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
runonbeer said:
And I just don't know what I'd do without my 1/4" drive deep 10mm :D
Amen, It seems to be the most frequent used tool.

Jeremy, I just got an email from a guy who lives in Lincoln, NE. He wants me to change his belt in the early spring. I don't know how many miles on your car. I am willing to drive down to NE to do both cars if someone offers their garage. (I have another car coming here on the 7th from NE also but he wants to come here regardless.) Then you don't have to buy the tools.

l1o9s7t6, I was just in that town in Sept. Saw a number of TDIs there. You must also buy a lot of duct tape. :D

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
DeafBug said:
l1o9s7t6, I was just in that town in Sept. Saw a number of TDIs there. You must also buy a lot of duct tape. :D

Never touch the crap.
(If you are referring to what most people in the world THINK DUCT tape is)

terminology is a killer...

Last edited:

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Started out as an car apprentice 30 years ago, joined an airline 26 years ago. Aircraft Mtce Engineer (A and P too)....working on cars all my life also.

b747 b777 b 767 a 330 a340, too many engine types to mention.

Work with the right tools or don't do the job.....my car doesn't fly at 35,000 feet, but taking shortcuts can be expensive, or in my life's trade...deadly.

Craig B

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
I don't take short cuts. I have the ability to think. There are only 2 reasons to need special tools. 1) The Engineer that designed it screwed up and the tool was made so that one can still work on the thing, 2) It is the only way the the company can (TRY) and stop the average person from working on their car.

I personally know very few auto techs that follow a manual to the letter every time they do a repair. Most do once or twice that way and then they have found a more efficient way of doing it.

I can explain the technique to someone, but most people are to close minded,

Josiah

TDI
'99.5 Jetta, silver, with Golf front end, otherwise stock
I wanna know!

I currently have my motor apart to do the timing belt. I have the timing belt, the serpentine belt, the tensioner, the cam seal, the crank seal (maybe I won't do this one), and the water pump. I have no special tools. I'm at the stage where it's time to take out the timing belt. I agree with l1o9s7t6 about the only reasons to need special tools. I'm going to attempt to do it without them unless somebody can loan me a cam lock tool and/or a puller. I've done a million timing belts, mostly on A1 chassis VW's or Audi 5-cylinders or Volvo 240's or older VW diesels without using any special tools, so I'm sure I can get it, but if you have a special technique, or a particularly good method, I'd love to know. also, what does the TDC mark look like on a manual trans Golf TDI? I read the PDF on how to do the timing belt, but the pics are all of an auto trans, and the -0- mark doesn't appear to exist on my flywheel - all I have is a big huge lug that appears to be at about TDC, but I remember that it wasn't the TDC mark on the earlier VW's - it was a little divot, but I can't find it on mine. Thanks!

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
If I remember right it is a small circle with a line through it. I had posted a link to a pic I had taken a few years back doing my timing belt and it would not post on the forum but I was able to get to it in the photo gallery. I can not find it now since the format changed but I'm sure its still in there somewhere. Maybe someone more knowledgeable then I can look it up. [image]http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/8257TDI-med.jpeg[/image] Thats the link to the pic from my original post. If it got lost I do have the pic at home and can try and post it tomorrow if it can't be found but you need a mirror and good lighting to see it. I put a dab of yellow paint on it to make it easier to see once I found it. Good luck.
Michael

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
l1o9s7t6 said:
ASE master certified. Ford master certified.
Yeay!!!! You can pass tests!!!

I can pass tests too and in fact have a few certications on Deere equipment.

It doesn't mean crap.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
hmmmm...

l1o9s7t6 said:
I don't take short cuts. I have the ability to think. There are only 2 reasons to need special tools. 1) The Engineer that designed it screwed up and the tool was made so that one can still work on the thing, 2) It is the only way the the company can (TRY) and stop the average person from working on their car.

I personally know very few auto techs that follow a manual to the letter every time they do a repair. Most do once or twice that way and then they have found a more efficient way of doing it.

I can explain the technique to someone, but most people are to close minded,
Happily, in the aircraft world we are not paid by the job like most car mechanics.

CB

I guess following the manual has just become a habit....:D

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
The mark on the manual tranny is really hard to see. There is a picture of it in the pdf, I found I had to move the crank the first time to make sure I was seeing the right thing.(it is just a lug or *divot*)

I agree, the crank lock is overkill, but we had the crank move on us just by pulling on the timing belt when installing it. Just check the marks to reposition it.

Good luck

CB

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
l1o9s7t6 said:
2 hours? I highly doubt it. For the belt portion maybe. add 45 min minimum at either end for R & R of the rest of the parts.

ThePapaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
None
whitedog said:
Yeay!!!! You can pass tests!!!
whitedog said:
It doesn't mean crap.
Right on the head Whitedog.
Every time I hear someone boast like that, I cant help but remember the MCSE that would call me to walk her thru formatting a hard drive..
Truth is like the Big Hammer, hurts when it hits you in the mouth.

Certified, certified, certified.... You are certifiable! And now you can wear this nice white coat, the kind that lets you hug yourself.

But, back on the subject: Tools have their uses, and procedures have been put in place for a reason. I've seen a few TF40 Gas Turbines that have had major damage because someone thought they could cut corners ~ at a HUGE cost ~ There is a method to the madness. There is a reason to torque bolt a, then bolt b, then bolt c....

And if you follow the procedure, there is NO GUESS WORK...

You are your own insurance.

John

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Runonbeer...great pic.....

Thepapajohn.....no kidding, we are our own insurance. I always wanted to avoid being called to any inquiries after an incident.....*toucheshead*...so far so good....

Craig B

Fiorelli

Thanks for the help. I don't see any reasion why I can't do this if I can find a Vag com.

Yes I live in the middle of no where.

Jeremy

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
You probably saw Metal Man's post above -- that you can buy his TB kits from his website instead of eBay. Just make sure you get the complete kit -- TB, tensioner, rollers, waterpump, serpentine belts, etc. -- and you'll probably need a gallon of G12 coolant. Replace everything now and your TDI should last a good long time. Only do a half-assed job, and you'll be doing it again earlier than you want to.

It may seem like a long way to go.. but Steve Carroll (username scarroll) in Denver is a real TDI timing belt guru. The next closest Guru is probably Glen Temple (username GT) in Sedalia Missouri. I'm not saying you can't do the job yourself, but personally I'd drive a few hundred miles each way to have the job done right.

Last edited:

Josiah

TDI
'99.5 Jetta, silver, with Golf front end, otherwise stock
runonbeer - a quick thank you for the pic! I did the timing belt via l1o9s7t6's method... he was nice enough to call me up. Very simple really, and makes a lot of sense. It's just the "mark and pray" method, really, though I'm not sure where the praying comes in. Anyway, worked fine for me, and now I have a new timing belt, though it would have been nice to be able to do the cam seal, which is the disadvantage of doing it this way, as far as I can tell.