Replacing Tie Rods next week

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Recently purchased new tires for the Passat Wagon (Michelan Primacy's). During the installation, the tech said one of the tie rods were seized. No time to get it repaired that day, so closed up the car then. I went to another location that was able to accommidate me and they said both tie rods were seized.

This led to that......and ended up ordering inner and outer tie rods from the dealer. Are their any of the bolts or other associated hardware that I should order also in the event that we have to resort to caveman extraction? I haven't picked up the tie rods yet; so don't know what type of boltage they come with.

Thank you for input!

Alan

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Alan: I am surprised that tie rods would seize up. Generally, they get so worn, they fall apart. How do you steer the car with those tie rods?:confused: Tires would squeal like all get out.

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
When they checked the alignment, the tires were a bit out of adjustment (being a commercial location, they would not let me out in their shop; nor did the car dealer).

From what I know about them, there are 2 rods (outer and inner). It is the outer rod that is disconnected from control arm elements, then you can rotate the outer rod to thread it in or out on the inner. The seizure means those rods are corroded together.....allegedly a fairly common occurance. I understand it takes a K-Bar, a lot of foul language, a torch....and a running start to get them loose at times.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
When they checked the alignment, the tires were a bit out of adjustment (being a commercial location, they would not let me out in their shop; nor did the car dealer).

From what I know about them, there are 2 rods (outer and inner). It is the outer rod that is disconnected from control arm elements, then you can rotate the outer rod to thread it in or out on the inner. The seizure means those rods are corroded together.....allegedly a fairly common occurance. I understand it takes a K-Bar, a lot of foul language, a torch....and a running start to get them loose at times.
Someone is feeding you a line of bull. Bring the car to a suspension shop that specializes in that kind of work.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I had to have mine replaced too. The shop that did it replaced the original with ones that have a lifetime guarantee from Moog. In my case it was corrosion blamed too.

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Yes....i wish i would have found it out before putting on the new tires. Then, I could take my time to hunt around for the best deal on parts.

I'm going up to one of the guru's places about 4 hours from me next Tuesday to replace a torque converter. While there, we'll do the tie rods too. I just wanted to know if there is any boltage that I should be purchasing too as if there is a stuck one that has to be cut out, i'm dead in the water there.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
1st of all there only 2 rods, left and right; each of them has the inner joint permantly fastened to the rod, the joint threads onto the rod and shaft drops into the arm on the knuckle. As long as tie rod assemblies have been properly installed when an alignment is done any adjustment to the overall rod length is done at the outer end.
"it is the outer rod that is disconnected from control arm elements" if that were the case with a tie rod you wouldn't be able to steer the car, period. That description sounds more like a sway bar hardware issue.
In any case if you are going to DIY on this find a shop that will put the car on a lift and inspect the front suspension AND allow you to watch what they are doing AND explain to you what each part is and what it does. THEN you can order required parts with confidence.