Replacing the turbo unit

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
when you replace the turbo unit, is it necessary to replace the actuator or can u simply use the old one since it is mostly electronic (assuming it works fine)? There is a price difference with significant savings if you use the old actuator versus buying a new one. Or, should it be replaced regardless? My car has 205K.:confused:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Check out the PD140 with smart actuator from IDPARTS. Stock Brm turbo is known to have actuator issues so i elected to but a whole new setup from Peter and sold my still good actuator to another club member with a bad brm actuator. Also the PD140 was a straight bolt on for me.. No tune update needed.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Confused: Is not the stock USA MY05.5 thru MY06 1.9 BRM motor, with Borg Warner turbo & actuator only available as a complete unit? Alternately said, the BRM's actuator is not available as a stand alone component? No?

Please advise.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
The OE actuator is not "mostly electronic" at all. It is a vacuum actuator with a position sensor that doesn't seem to figure in to engine management really at all. I am of the mind it is for emissions DTC setting and not much else having tunes with and w/o it. One of the best parts of upgrading a BRM turbo is to be able to use a more robust Garrett turbo w/o the position sensor. Just tune the sensor out of the ECU tune and be done with that.