replacing steering wheel with multifunction wheel

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
Originally posted by alhutch:
Thom,

I would love to come by and check out the multifunction wheel and standard wheel side by side before you complete the install. I am contemplating a purchase of a multifunction wheel (sans airbag) for just the leather steering surface and wonder if the airbag mounting guts can be swapped between the two (plus remove the multifunction controls). Maybe if your install is painless enough, I will attempt it?

Thanks again for the VAG.COM help on Sunday @ the Seattle GTG!

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Al,

Glad to get a chance to play with the Vag-Com.

You're more than welcome to come by and check out the wheel before I put it in and the install process if you'd like. Drop me a line.

As far as using your airbag with the MF wheel, from what I can tell it isn't possible, even with the MF guts removed. I compared my two wheels and they're pretty close, but not quite there. Might as well just go all the way and add the MF controls...

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thom,

I would love to come by and check out the multifunction wheel and standard wheel side by side before you complete the install. I am contemplating a purchase of a multifunction wheel (sans airbag) for just the leather steering surface and wonder if the airbag mounting guts can be swapped between the two (plus remove the multifunction controls). Maybe if your install is painless enough, I will attempt it?

Thanks again for the VAG.COM help on Sunday @ the Seattle GTG!

Al

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Thom,

My car is a 2000, so I can't say much about the 2003's. Do you have wiring diagrams you can post? I don't have access to mine right now, perhaps later. And even then, I most likely do not have 2003 schematics.

FIRST: Disconnect the ground strap to the battery
2. Remove the airbag and set aside
3. Remove old steering wheel and carefully remove the caneling ring
4. Remove the top and loosen the lower steering column trim pieces
5. Remove the wiper stalk, disconnect and set aside
6. Loosen bolt and remove/disconnect the turn signal/cruise control stalk
7. Install new stalk.
8. Remove some of the wires from T10 and re-route them to T18c.
On the 2000s there are two wires that belong to the glow plug circuit that I don't think you have here at T10

9. Connect appropriate pins on T18c to T5b (cancelling ring)
On my car, this is only 1 wire from T18C to T5b. T5b already had 4 wires: 2-airbag, 2-horn

10. Connect appropriate pins on T18c to T10s (Cruise on/off)
Is T10 the black connector in the water-tight box? I'll assume so

11. Connect appropriate pins on T18c to T20 (radio)
This should only be one wire(Can-bus). At least on mine it was only one wire

12. Connect appropriate pins on T18c to T32a (cluster)
I guess this is your cruise control light?can you please tell me which pins on T18c & T32a these are?

13.Connect appropriate pins on T18c to dimmer, horn relayone wire, power, ground...
make sure you choose the correct power wire and not one that is controlled off the light switch, don't ask me how I know this

14. Install everything in reverse.

15. Recode radio with Vag-Com.I didn't have to do this, but that doesn't mean you won't

When I get home, I'll work on the repair wire numbers.

L

[ February 26, 2003, 14:25: Message edited by: tongsli ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
10. Connect appropriate pins on T18c to T10s (Cruise on/off)
Is T10 the black connector in the water-tight box? I'll assume so
T10e is the black connector in the water-tight box. T10s is the connector on the steering column for switch E45 (Cruise on/off). I think T10s/7 goes to T10e/3, T10s/6 goes to T18c/12 and T10s/4 goes to T18c/4.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This seems correct T10s/7,6,& 4 I think are accelerate/Decelerate and cancel.

On and off stay on the stalk of course.

11. Connect appropriate pins on T18c to T20 (radio)
This should only be one wire(Can-bus). At least on mine it was only one wire
Same here.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is a green connector. I'll look for the part number.

Looks like you're close. What else do you need? Repair wire part numbers??

Lito

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
I think all that's left is the repair wire numbers. The salvage yard that said they had the control unit ended up not having it, but I think I may have my hands on one next weekend. If not, it should just be a matter of scouring some more of the local boneyards.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thom,

Contact Nathan Bernard at tuningscience.com. He may be able to help you out since you're local.

Keep us up-to-date with your progress. Some pictures would be nice

Lito

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Hi Lito:

I'm toying with the idea of putting the multifunction wheel in my Golf. I just want to check with you and the others on the list to make sure I have a correct understanding of what parts I need to get before I start this project. As I understand from reading the post above, I will need:

- a new steering wheel
- the button gizmos on either side of the wheel
- a new airbag
- a new cancelling ring, if I don't already have the 5th pin
- a control module
- a replacement left side turn signal stalk

plus various repair wires.

Have I missed anything major?

Michael

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael,

The buttons for the wheel should come with the steering wheel. And, hopefully you'll also get the airbag harness with the airbag. I'm not sure where you are sourcing parts, but don't forget the airbag harness/connector.

It goes from the canceling ring to the airbag/steering wheel buttons.

L

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
Hi Lito:

I'm going back to the Helvetic Confederation Friday, will be there either for 6 weeks or until a conflict starts in Iraq. I hope to source the parts from a Swiss junkyard (or maybe an Iraqi junkyard).

Michael

Sawdust

any chance we can get the pictures back up for this. Also i really only want the radio controls to work. is it possible to leave the cruise on the stalk and just wire up the radio? thanks.

Sawdust

[ QUOTE ]
any chance we can get the pictures back up for this. Also i really only want the radio controls to work. is it possible to leave the cruise on the stalk and just wire up the radio? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mangohaggis

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS; silver
Time to resurrect this thread. I have a chance to obtain a multifunction wheel and airbag on the cheap. I really only want it for the leather surface as I don't care about the controls. Is it possible to install and still retain the cruise function on the stalk? I guess I could buy the non-cruise stalk if I had to (it's not expensive), but if I have to purchase the control module etc. etc. my cheap leather steering wheel project won't become so cheap anymore. Anyone know if this can be done? Thanks...

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, it can be done, if you can stand to look at non-functioning buttons. All you'll have to do is swap the harness for the horn from your existing wheel to the MF wheel prior to installing the MF wheel and airbag. If you don't the horn won't work. If you take a look at the two circuits it'll be pretty clear.

mangohaggis

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS; silver
Thanks for your help! I might finish the conversion later on but for now I'll go ahead and do the install.

BerKath

TDI
2000 VW Bora Variant 1,9 TDI 4motion Highline
Michael Moore said:
Hi Lito:

I'm toying with the idea of putting the multifunction wheel in my Golf. I just want to check with you and the others on the list to make sure I have a correct understanding of what parts I need to get before I start this project. As I understand from reading the post above, I will need:

- a new steering wheel
- the button gizmos on either side of the wheel
- a new airbag
- a new cancelling ring, if I don't already have the 5th pin
- a control module

plus various repair wires.

Have I missed anything major?

Michael

As far as I know this should be the one with part number : 8L0 953 513 S and not the 8L0 953 513 H.

"S" is for cars with MF steering wheels and "H" for cars without (normal cars).

BerKath

TDI
BerKath said:

As far as I know this should be the one with part number : 8L0 953 513 S and not the 8L0 953 513 H.

"S" is for cars with MF steering wheels and "H and G" for cars without (normal cars).
I now got my "S" signal stalk and it has a slide button for completely turning off the cruise control when not wanted in use (leaving the buttons on the steering wheel dead). On the steering wheel we have "Res +" who, when hit first after the "Cancel" button, activates cruise control and resets the presvious speed from memory. It increasess speed step by step when pushed after that. We also have "Set -" who activates and memorieses the speed wanted (actual speed at the moment). It decreases the speed step by step when pushed after that. At last we have the "Cancel" button wich turns of the cruise control temporarily when wanted.

BerKath

TDI
I now need som help from Lito ! Please... :)

I now got all the part that I need. I asume ! In this case I have some question for you.

1. I got control module 451. I know there is one called 452. What is the difference between them.
2. I had full cruise control on signal stalk from before. Does it make it easier regarding wiring from signal stalk to the new control module ?
3. My car model use 3LB instead of Can (I am using CAN on my tmc module. It works!). It is also known that these cars was delivered with mf steering wheels already in 2000. I then asume that these wheels then use 3LB insted of the CAN bus. Where do I so find this signal type (3LB wire) in the mf steering wheel system? Could it possible function right a way ?

I now got this stuff:

1. VW 2000 Bora Variant (Jetta Wagon) 1,9TDI 4motion :)
2. Mf steering wheel (cruise,radio) "1J0 419 091 AH E74" made week 22 in 2000
3. Airbag "1J0 880 201 K"
4. Control mudule 451 "1J0 907 487 A" (Softw.5 - Hardw.3)
5. Canceling ring (clock spring) "1J0 959 653 C" for mf steering wheel
6. Signal stalk with on/off for cruisecontrol "8L0 953 513 S"

Is it now for me just to start the project ?

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you're gonna need 452, try 451 but ETKA says 452. If I get a chance to look, I'll see what module I have in my car

navyboy65

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
I am going to try to get the stuff needed to do this to my 03! Anyone got pics of the wiring I'll need. If you do please e-mail them to navyboy65@mlode.com. Also if I can get some updated part #'s for the airbag MF, steering wheel MF, turn signal stock MF, 5 pin canceling ring, 452 module for 03 Jetta???!! So I can try and hunt down some used parts!!!
Thanks, Seth

Last edited:

navyboy65

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
Part #'s

Anyone!
I need part #'s for
connector T18c
repair wires for the following connectors:
T18c
T20
T5b
T10s
basicaly the wires and connectors I need to do the upgrade
Module #452 part #(Just found elsewhere on the site 1J0907487B or superceded to 1J0907487D)
and Maybe air bag???
Thanks, Seth

Last edited:

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
awesome thread

Great info, thanks tongsli! I'm thinking about doing this as well. One question I have is about the balance weight. The Bentley says that on TDI models, the MF wheel is installed with a Balance Weight to 'prevent transmission of vibrations from the engine.'

How important is this balance weight?

Can it be transferred from the standard steering wheel?

Thanks,

A~

mangohaggis

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS; silver
astonishedboy said:
One question I have is about the balance weight. The Bentley says that on TDI models, the MF wheel is installed with a Balance Weight to 'prevent transmission of vibrations from the engine.'

How important is this balance weight?

Can it be transferred from the standard steering wheel?

Thanks,

A~
I was also concerned about vibration when I did my MF wheel installation - I sourced my wheel from a non-TDI Jetta and it does not have the weight. I haven't noticed any vibration being transferred from the steering column thus far... I just hope it stays that way.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
ready to go...

I've got (almost) all the parts for this upgrade ready to go. I bought the steering wheel and airbag together
What does the tear shaped button on the side of the wheel do? is is right behind the cruise control buttons. see this picture.

Last edited:

waldo22

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 1981 Caddy 1.6 IDI
Difference between 451 and 452:

451 = 1j0 907 487A
452 = 1j0 907 487B or D (new one)

Difference is wiring. 451 is for 2002+ cars and uses CAN for the Cruise and steering. It doesn’t have the REM wire from the green connector on the radio, and it doesn’t need the S-cont (switched 12V power) or the ILLUM wire. It has the two twisted orange/brown wires for CAN though.

Here is a pic of the 451 wiring. Notice the twisted pair of orange/brown wires on pins 1 and 3. These are for CAN. Also notice that there are no wires in pins 5, 12, or 15. In order for 452 to work you need those wires.

(Thanks to GTi_1.8Turbo for the pic)

452 is for 1999.5 – 2001 cars and uses the REM wire at pin 5, switched 12V at pin 12, and Illumination wire at pin 15 of its connector You can probably make the 452 work, but you’ll have to add these three wires in addition to all the other wires.

As it happens, I have an extra 451 I picked up at a local junkyard recently. This guy kleinersforeigncar@gmail.com also has one. Let me know if anyone needs one.

Also, this is a great thread with pictures showing the relays

http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/forums/showthread.php?t=103&highlight=multifunction+version

Wes

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
astonishedboy said:
I've got (almost) all the parts for this upgrade ready to go. I bought the steering wheel and airbag together
What does the tear shaped button on the side of the wheel do? is is right behind the cruise control buttons. see this picture.

It allows you to disable the pretty lights on the controls.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
BerKath said:
5. Canceling ring (clock spring) "1J0 959 653 C" for mf steering wheel
I've got a cancelling ring with part no. '1J0 959 653 B' date is Jan. 10 01.
Was told this is from a MF wheel. Will this work?

I will try to write a pdf how to for this...

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
BerKath said:

"S" is for cars with MF steering wheels and "H" for cars without (normal cars).
I just picked up turn signal stalk with Part no. 8L0 953 513 M
I was told this was from a Multifunction Wheel, but it does not have a slide control for cruise func. on/off. Will this work?

BerKath

TDI
astonishedboy said:
I was told this was from a Multifunction Wheel, but it does not have a slide control for cruise func. on/off. Will this work?
Just checked with ETKA. This is a normal signal stalk without cruise function. You have most likely been fooled.

BerKath

TDI
Is it possible to use remote radio functions through CAN (module 451) with a MFD version D ? Is the MFD version D programmed to handle this kind of signals for remote operations ?

Do the 451 and 452 module also controls cruise functions ? Or is it only the radio functions it controls ?

People said earlier that I could not use an TMC module through the CAN gateway with my MFD version D. I did this without problems at all.

I suspect that the 3LB wiring can be used for MFD version A, B and C. The MFD version D is compatible with both 3LB and CAN. Is this right ?

There is something strange with 451 module (CAN) being newer than 452 module (3LB). logicaly it should be the other way around. I asume 3LB was "invented" before CAN was. :)

There is much more to learn about this stuff. Thats for shure! And I dont feel anybody in here have the complete aknowledge on the subject. But some day we will understand it together. 8)

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
astonishedboy said:
I took it back to the salvage yard, and got the switch with cruise on-off, part no. ... 953 513 T