replacing steering wheel with multifunction wheel

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
WooHooo! I finally got it working!
I'm going to write a simple how to for this, if there is anyone interested. this thread is great, but there are some missing images. anyone mind if use their pics?

Now i can move on to the ASR Mod.

Thanks for trailblazing, tongsli!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Please post....PLEASE. This is something I want to do very much. :)

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Okay so I have been reading through pages and pages trying to make sense of all this. Here is my situation. 2004 Passat TDI without MF wheel. Purchsed the MF steering wheel with airbag and installed on car. Of course nothing works right now including horn. So I think I need the 452 relay and the non cruise stalk to start and then wiring from there? Anything else required for a 2004 Passat? Reason I ask is different year cars seem to have different set-ups. Newer cars seem simpler. Is there an easy way to at least get the horn working for now?
Thanks

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
First off, I think you need the 451 relay. I've got one if you need it. You can keep the turn stalk that you have, but some of the buttons on it can be transferred to work from the steering wheel instead. (ON/OFF will still be on the stalk)

Also, If you are going to wire up the horn, might as well wire up the whole thing while you are at it. No simple way to do this from what I remember, since the horn relay is now tied in with the 451 relay.

Do you have a Navi?

Sorry I never got the 'how to' finished... Now it isn't likely to happen, as I'm heading out o town.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No Navi. If I can keep my stalk perfect. Even if buttons dont work I dont really care as the ones on the steering will. I will answer your PM. What do I need as wiring afterwards?

PharoahTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have still not got around to installing the relay. The steering wheel has been in place for two months with no working horn (or anything else). Does anyone have a simple wiring diagram for this? From what I have found so far it is confusing as to which wires to tap into etc...

skicrave

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat 1.8T 4Motion Wagon
Where did you guys end up getting your wheel/airbag combo from? It seems like the regular supply that can be found on The Vortex has dried up, and I haven't seen them on ebay lately either.

I just picked up an '04 Passat, and not having steering wheel controls is killing me!

Thom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, 2008 E320 Bluetec
skicrave, I happen to have a complete wheel/airbag/harness/controller from an '03 sitting in my garage, and I'm local. PM me if you're interested.

pliko

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Guys -

I recently inhereted an '04 TDI Wagon and with the help of these forums have been having waaay too much fun adding mods...

Adding the multi function steering wheel with buttons to control the headunit in my case would definitely be very cool since I constantly find myself with one hand on the radio while scrolling through mp3's (the kenwood reads off jump drives w/several gigs of music). I have read and reread this thread a few times so far (it has been extremely informative) and I think it probably holds all the information I need. But, to make sure things go smoothly, I am asking the group for any guidance on my specific situation.

I guess, in a nutshell, I am just looking to control my aftermarket Headunit with the new multi funciton steering wheel buttons. I am pretty sure this means I will need the following replacement hardware, but could you please correct me if I'm wrong so I start on the right foot:

- Airbag for multi function steering wheel (ordered...it's in the mail)
- 4 spoke Multi function steering wheel (still looking for a good one)
- Airbag Harness (in the mail)
- Clocking ring w/5th pin for multi function steering wheel (still looking for)
- Turn signal stalk w on/off only (optional...looking)
- #451 relay (need to confirm I don't already have...then I will look for one)
- Various harnesses / wires (I'm still tyring to understand what these look like and where they all go)
- Kenwood DNX 5120 aftermarked head unit (already installed)
- PAC/SWI aftermarket steering wheel control adaptor (still need to order)

By the way, I am more than happy to document my installation with pics and post it to this thread...I am not yet familiar with some of the terminology (TMC, CAN) nor the physical location of some of these harnesses (T18c, T10s, T5b etc) so any help to give me a clear picture before I get started would really be appreciated.

Also, can anyone confirm for me that I don't need to have a VAG to make this work since I am not using/recoding an OEM radio?

Chris

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone have more info or pics yet? I have not had time to finish my install yet.

pliko

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Radman - Here is the wiring diagram for 2002 and up in flow chart format. BIG thanks to waldo22 for listing it out in a previous post!

I am still struggling to get mine working too and will let you know when I do.

peterdiesel

TDI
2002 black Jetta auto
Some work, some don't!

I just upgraded and installed the Multifunction Steering Wheel on my 2002 Jetta.

The following functions work:

Cruise Res+
Cruise Set-
Horn

The following functions do not work:

Cruise cancel
All radio buttons (station select and volume)

I used the 451 Rev. C relay (superceeded Rev. A). I recoded the Steering Wheel controller to 00118, which the Bentley manual indicated for Rev. A. Before recoding the steering wheel controller, the radio/ cruise button lamps blinked at a 1 second rate. The lamps worked correctly after recoding to 00118. Using Vag-com, I can see all of the switch closures toggle in "Measurement blocks" Group 0, which tells me that all of the switches are seen by the controller.

Can anyone help?

peterdiesel

TDI
2002 black Jetta auto
Possible solution

Coding the wheel to 00008 doesn't work at all. I think I may have solved the radio button issue, although I haven't tried it yet. I turns out that m.y. 2002 can have one of two radios (per Bentley), a Premium V or Premium VI. I have a V. The V doesn't have Can bus. So I think I need to add the T18C pin 5 to radio wire (REM) wire. Hopefully this will work.

That leaves the Cruise control "Cancel" Issue.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
peterdiesel said:
Coding the wheel to 00008 doesn't work at all. I think I may have solved the radio button issue, although I haven't tried it yet. I turns out that m.y. 2002 can have one of two radios (per Bentley), a Premium V or Premium VI. I have a V. The V doesn't have Can bus. So I think I need to add the T18C pin 5 to radio wire (REM) wire. Hopefully this will work.

That leaves the Cruise control "Cancel" Issue.
Ok, I guess I know what the problem is... I have also a test-case for that... I makes sense only if you have the signal stalk with +/-, cancel and on/off function... If you do (so that you connected the wires from the MFL relay in parallel) then the problem is that you have to connect the cancel signal in series, and not in parallel... +/- signals are active by +12 volts... Cancel is active by 0 volts (so it has +12 volts normally)... so if you have 2 cancel buttons in parallel, you have to activate both CANCELs at the same time, so that there are 0 volts in the ECU pin.

In the event the my guess is right, you can fix-it by connecting the wire from relay, at pin T18m/14 (cancel output) to the signal stalk pin t10/4 (there will be a wire at that pin, black/white)... you can cut it 2 cm. far from the connector and connect the wire from the relay to that piece of wire going to the t10/4 pin. Isolate the other part of the wire, since it has +12volts when you activate the cruise control...

Hope this helps... If you installed the proper On/Off only signal stalk, then sorry for the post ;)

peterdiesel

TDI
2002 black Jetta auto
Good news! The radio buttons work. This required T18C/5 connected to radio REM pin. It also required recoding of the steering wheel to 00108.

The cruise CANCEL still doesn't work. I did replace the signal stalk with the one with the ON/ OFF cruise only, however, my original stalk only had SET/ RES as a rocker switch on the end of the stalk and the ON/ OFF switch; no CANCEL switch. It appears that this signal was not generated by my original signal stalk. So where is the CANCEL signal on the T10s or T10e connectors?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
The original stalk you had has a CANCEL function. You just slide the ON/OFF switch slightly towards OFF until resistance is felt without actually switching it off.

It took me about 18 months to work that out on my car! :rolleyes:

The new switch probably does the same.

:)

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
No, the switch only stalk does not have the CANCEL function... since the wire goes directly to the clutch... it is a +12 volts signal in series with the clutch pedal... hmmm, in the US you have mostly Automatics... could that be the problem? I am always looking for wiring diagrams for the euro model, but maybe it goes to a different place if the car is automatic

peterdiesel

TDI
2002 black Jetta auto
Problem Solved!

The cruise CANCEL button now works. It turns out that the new stalk does have the CANCEL function as well as the ON/ OFF switch. This is the signal at T10s/5. The Bentley wiring diagram shows this pin not connected for the Multifunction wheel setup. In my installation, I tapped into the T10e to T10s cruise lines. By having the T10s/5 connected, it paralleled the CANCEL signals from the stalk and the T18c/14 signal. This what Magelgado was saying. The solution is to cut the T10s/5 at the stalk if you want to use only the CANCEL button on the wheel. If you want to use both CANCELs, I think Mageldado's solution will work.

Thanks Mageldado!

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Good news then, I am happy to hear that... that serial connection is what I have in my car, with the full cruise control stalk (the first one that I installed) and with the MF SW (added some months later)... Now I have dual cruise control. So you replaced the stalk, but not the wiring, ... so my first suggestion was right. Tell us what happens in the end, please. Cheers.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am unable to get mine to communicate with the Vag-Com. Ill recheck my connections. When the cruise is on the lites in the controls flash every 10 seconds or so... kinda bizarrre? Nothing works on mine, horn, radio or cruise controls.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Radman said:
I am unable to get mine to communicate with the Vag-Com. Ill recheck my connections. When the cruise is on the lites in the controls flash every 10 seconds or so... kinda bizarrre? Nothing works on mine, horn, radio or cruise controls.
One question... do you have 2 pins for the can-bus? If you have those two pins, and you didn't connect those pins to the comfort can-bus, then the module may be resetting itself every few seconds... that's why you cannot initiate diagnostics session. If you have it connected to the can-bus, then try to swap the can-bus wires... Since both of them are orange, it is easy to make a mistake.

If the module is coded to have can-bus and you didn't connect the relay to the can-bus, it will not work. If you don't have the can-bus connected, you can run a twisted pair wire, 120 ohms, like those used inside the UTP-5 network wires, to the driver's door connector, near the hood stalk.

Good luck

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I connected my CAN wires at the OBD port. They may be reversed as it is not clear as you stated. Ill look into this over the holidays when I have some time.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Radman said:
I connected my CAN wires at the OBD port. They may be reversed as it is not clear as you stated. Ill look into this over the holidays when I have some time.
That's not the right can-bus bus... The multifunction steering wheel must use the comfort can-bus. You can find-it on any door (in the connector in each pillar), in the CCM, in the tacho or in the climatronic. That's maybe why it doesn't work. Radman, if your car is golf or jetta, then then CCM is right under the instruments cluster, left of the steering column... In the 23 pins connector, you will see two twisted wires, orange with a brown or violet (or green) strip... That is the right can-bus. If your car is passat, then the best place to connect to is the coupling station right under the stalk to open the motor hood, black connector, 10 pins, up-left of the coupling station... that's the connector for the driver's door... There you will find the comfort can-bus. Hope this helps!