Replacing fuel temp sensor, tutorial

ANGELofDEBT

TDI
'06 Jetta Wagon; '03 Jetta GLS
I need some help I have the P0183 CEL (high fuel temperature) and want to replace the temp sensor. When I went on Dieselgeek it lists the part as being for the up to 03 model. Is this the same sensor on my PD engine? If not where do I go, the dealer?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
No, AngelofDebt, the afore mentioned fuel temp. sensor if for the ALH or those with IP's. On our PD's the FTS is located in-line on the left side of the engine compartment, towards the top of the cylinder head.

feverwilly

Veteran Member
I was at the Mechanic Today. The Error I am getting is Fuel Temp Sensor. They said they replaced that but the CEL still shows up and they say I need a new injection Pump (I should get a used one) and they would install it and the CEL would go away. The said their is a short in the IP. The dealer wants 2.8k for a replacement one, I can get one for a few hundred off EBAY. Would replacing the sensor solve this problem? Do you think the mechanic opened the IP up like you describle in your tutorial? I just find it hard to believe the IP is okay except for a short in the electronics.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
feverwilly said:
I was at the Mechanic Today. The Error I am getting is Fuel Temp Sensor. They said they replaced that but the CEL still shows up and they say I need a new injection Pump (I should get a used one) and they would install it and the CEL would go away. The said their is a short in the IP. The dealer wants 2.8k for a replacement one, I can get one for a few hundred off EBAY. Would replacing the sensor solve this problem? Do you think the mechanic opened the IP up like you describle in your tutorial? I just find it hard to believe the IP is okay except for a short in the electronics.
You are better off creating a new thread in your regional forum. They will be able to guide you to an experienced and honest mechanic/guru of the forum. Since this is a tutorial very few ppl will answer.

Regarding your pump, have a second opinion on it, don't go with what a JoNobody tells you. Find a mechaninc that has a reputation on the forum before you dish out so much money.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
feverwilly, did a VW dealership replace the fuel temp sensor, or a private mechanic? VW will generally not open up a fuel injection pump to replace a FTS. I would make sure that it was really replaced first. Any symptoms other than the engine code? If not, I wouldn't spend any money on it.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
Help my Fuel Temp sensor is held in by tiny nuts not screws!!! The sides of the temp sensor recesses are way to small to fit a normal 1/4 drive socket I guess these are about a 4 or 5 mm no room around the nuts fo almost anything. I wish I had problems with a screw not a nut. I have a 2000 bug with an auto so I don't know if the 11 mm pump is the differance.

jmcqueen

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hi BudsBug:

You are probably correct on the nut difference in model year. I have an 03 Jetta auto and had no probs replacing the FTS. It took all of 10 minutes. Anyone else?

john

matheson

TDI
2003 Jetta
2003 Jetta injection pump gone

I having bad luck with my car, the injection pump is very loud and the car is hard to start in the morning or if you leave it for a couple hours you have to crank it. It works goodwhen you get it going lots of power now and then you get a miss.
Any ideas ? I can get a used injection pump $450.00 90 days warrenty.
The dealer wants 1400 they said it would cost $2000.00 complete job 1 year warrenty

horsforth1

TDI
Touran
PD Engine P0183 16567 Error Code

I got the engine light on my 2004 1.9 TDi Touran and VAG diagnostic said it was the fuel temperature sensor. I looked on this forum about this error code but when I looked under the bonnet it didn't look like the photos! Bit more surfing and discovered 2004 model and couple of years after is a different engine (PD) & setup. The sensor is in the fuel line like a chunky T-piece, I found the sensor at right hand end of engine (opposite end from alternator & belt etc) tucked down under air intake pipe and behind the radiator, it's fairly obvious.
There is a piece of 8mm dia ribbed plastic harness with a couple of thin wires (approx 1 or 2mm dia) coming out the end and going through a right angle into the end of the sensor. Closer inspection showed one of these, the light coloured one, had broke. It seems a naff bit of VW design having such thin wires unprotected and assume they have gone brittle with oil/heat & vibration.
There wasn't any slack in the wire and considering what to do when I found the ribbed tube they come through is a slit 'clip on' tube with a flared ferrule on the end to stop it rubbing. I was able to prise open the rib tube behind the ferrule, pull the broken wire back and out through the side. Stripped and cleaned the end - plus there was enough wire left (approx 15mm) to do the same on the piece going in to the plug on the sensor.
Then soldered a short piece of pre-tinned wire between. Was a bit fiddly & awkward as working in a confined space, but consoled myself with thoughts of what the VW dealer would have charged to fix....
I did consider trying to feed the patch piece back inside the ribbed tube but in the end decided to leave as was coming out the side and bind the whole lot up in electrical tape from where I'd pulled it out before the ferrule right along and onto the plug, also wrapped in the other intact wire. This will also give a bit more support and protection to these wires.
The broken wire took a bit of cleaning with emery cloth before I could get the solder to tin it but otherwise fairly straightforward. I think you would struggle getting a crimp onto the shortish piece remaining on the sensor so soldering is probably best/only way to fix?
I understand that the Golf in same years is similar layout as the Touran with this engine, so if you get the Fuel temp sensor error message worth a quick check on the connection between the harness and sensor before you splash out on a new sensor.
After connecting back up reset the error code using an ebay USB cable on my laptop with VAG installed - which I got working using the instructions on this site (much appreciated) and so far all seems ok.
Hope this is of use, there doesn't seem a high instance of this sensor failing on the PD engine from what I found on the web, but wouldn't surprise me if other folks get a broke wire given the sharp angle it has to go through and how fine they are.:)

Last edited:

mikeklawrence

TDI
2004 Golf
Anybody have an idea of what the resistance across the temperature sensor should be when cold? I've got a P1162 code ("Fuel temp. sensor circuit short to ground"). I took a few measurements and it doesn't seem like the wire coming from the ECM is shorted. I thought perhaps abnormally low resistance at the sensor is making the ECM think there's a short to ground. I'm reading 116 ohms (across pins 4 and 7 on the 8-pin connector going to the injection pump.)

Jerry_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Silver, 2006 Jetta White & Red, 2014 Passat
mikeklawrence said:
Anybody have an idea of what the resistance across the temperature sensor should be when cold? I've got a P1162 code ("Fuel temp. sensor circuit short to ground"). I took a few measurements and it doesn't seem like the wire coming from the ECM is shorted. I thought perhaps abnormally low resistance at the sensor is making the ECM think there's a short to ground. I'm reading 116 ohms (across pins 4 and 7 on the 8-pin connector going to the injection pump.)
You can also check the resistance of the fuel temp sensor and compare it to the old sensor. It should be about 1300-1800 ohms at room temperature. Note that with the ignition on, one side gets 5V and goes to the ecu, the other side is ground. Also inspect for unusual wear or dirt in the injection pump area. It should be very clean with no visible wear. Inspect for bubbles or specks in the electronics and plastic - there should be none.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I noticed recently my injector pump is leaking (appears to be both upper and lower seals). Ordered the kit from DG and was wondering if I should replace the fuel temp sensor while I am in there as I recently seem to have hesitation while accelerating. Boost seems fine according to the boost gauge, MAF is good (unplugged anyways and car ran terrible!), new CAT filter installed. Intake is clean, so I am assuming fueling is an issue. Might also be my Walbro lift pump mod too that I added this summer. No codes in VCDS. Just curious if the hesitation issue could be a sign of a failing fuel temp sensor? Going to try and get my laptop working so I can do a road test with VCDS to see what the deal is with the G81.

Last edited:

dilkie

TDI
'01 Golf, '06 Golf, 90 Jetta
Thanks for the post. I studied the pics, bought the sensor and tool online, washed the top of the IP housing with hot soapy water to get all the dirt off beforehand and the job took all of 3 minutes. Cleared the CEL and she's working great (seems quieter too).

I love this fourm!

-lee

bashoro

TDI
2002 Jetta
Vw parts counter= incompetent thieves

I have this same code and attempted to pick up a fuel temp sensor from my local dealership parts counter. The same place I paid $22/liter for transmission fluid which is a glorified mineral oil.

So after convincing the guy that the fts is an actual part of a tdi and after his ten minute conversation with a mechanic at another vw dealership he informed me the sensor is an integral part of the injection pump and cannot be sold separately and I had to buy a new IP which they would be happy to install.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
This is one I wouldn't blame the dealer for. VW doesn't list internal parts for the pump. You have to go to a Bosh dealer.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
"Sorry, I don't have exact torque specs for the bolts. I put them back on about as tight as they were. They were not very tight at all. Of course, I tightened them in a cross pattern, to help it seat properly and evenly. I'm sure someone around here has the proper torque specs... -Jesse"

Torque Specs for the 3 T30 Torqx screws in IP cover: 18lb ft
Torque Specs for the special triangular bolt in IP cover: 18 lb ft
Torque Specs for the Fuel Temp Sensor: impossible to find - replicate tension used to remove.

See Bentley Manual p. 23-13.

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
Hey guys,
I had this code 17656 - Injection Start Regulation: Control Deviation, P1248 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent. I am wondering if changing the fuel temp. sensor would be the cure.

The symptoms were:
The car runs really loud all of a sudden, I could hear the engine click even when the windows were up. I measured the resistances for certain pins of the 10-pin wire harness to the injection pump. One of them was off, but right now I forgot which one it is. I checked the #3 injector and was sure that the injector/sensor has no problem. Oh yeah the timing was way off! And the car has next to no power!

Hope someone is still manning this thread, thanks so much for the info above and thank you for more replies!

Wai

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I've been getting the P1248 code, too, on a Y2K NB but I believe it is because the timing is just ever so slightly advanced. However, what are the chances the fuel temp sensor IS bad? Could it throw this code? I've replaced this sensor on my B4 and it helped quite a bit especially with cold weather operation.

wai-ho.lo

TDI
'03 VW Jetta TDI
I am going to get my old "broken" injection pump out and check it over. The mechanic told me the timing was way off, and of course I felt it already. I just had the timing belt done and it is unlikely that a tooth skipped. I did just changed the fuel filter and I did not prime the fuel or remove the air, I just kept on cranking it! Anyways, I will check the fuel temperature sensor resistance and I will give an update

cheers,

Wai

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
The FTS I took out of my B4 Passat showed adequate resistance, but it definitely was not reading the way it is supposed to. I do not regret changing it. I don't know if they stop being linear or arithmetic over time, but I had no CEL. The car runs better now.--Steve

wai-ho.lo said:
I am going to get my old "broken" injection pump out and check it over. The mechanic told me the timing was way off, and of course I felt it already. I just had the timing belt done and it is unlikely that a tooth skipped. I did just changed the fuel filter and I did not prime the fuel or remove the air, I just kept on cranking it! Anyways, I will check the fuel temperature sensor resistance and I will give an update

cheers,

Wai

adam_10

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
hi
tired, got my sensor everything ready,but did not find any tool to open 4th triangle bolt, lordco, vw dealers no 1 has that tool, can some 1 help, where i can find that tool. i am in vancouver. bc. can any one plzzzzz

sk8rdi16

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf
I've just replaced my FTS due to a CEL and a reading of 255 in block 9 when setting the timing. I'm still getting the 255 in block 9 and Fuel is too hot message when setting the timing. Anyone get the resistance specs on the FTS so I can test if the new one is good?

2006TDI4Me

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
Hi Gents
I wonder if the Fuel Temp Sensors are all the same. Or are they Year specific?
I have a 2006 GL TDI and I can't seem to find the part # from the vendors that have been mentioned in this Thread.
If someone knows then Thanks in advance.
Regards
Thomas

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
On the pump duse (04-06 TDIs) the fuel temperature sensors are in the fuel line on the cylinder head. I am not sure about the BRM engine (which you should have), but on the BEW engine (the one I have) it is near the tandem pump, but near the front left (from the driver's perspective) corner of the cylinder head. Fuel flows through it and there is a 2-wire connector going to it.

On the ALH cars ('99.5 - '03) the fuel temperature sensor is inside the injection pump.

The sensors are completely different for the ALH and the BEW/BRM engines. And they might be a little different between the BEW and BRM engines.

I got a CEL yesterday for a fuel temperature sensor (FTS) open or short to positive (P0183) and this was right after I pulled the glow plug harness of of the glow plugs. I suspect I broke a failing FTS wire right where it makes a sharp bend coming out of the main wiring loom. The GP harness wiring exits the loom here too and I stessed the area. I reset the CEL and it appears to be working, since my VCDS shows the fuel temperature increasing as the engine warms. But if the wire is hanging by a thread, I would not be surprised if the CEL returns. The FTS wiring is 0.35 mm, according to the wiring diagram and it does look like it vibrates and fatigues right where it exits the harness and it is bent at least 90 degrees.

I may have to open up the harness and make a splice on the FTS wire.

--Nate

Last edited:

vwgolf4

TDI
VW Golf Mk4
One simple newbie question:What are the symptoms of a bad working fuel temp sensor,except to check engine light appearing,Is there any change to engine idle or start?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
One simple newbie question:What are the symptoms of a bad working fuel temp sensor,except to check engine light appearing,Is there any change to engine idle or start?
some possibles- from the Ross Tech WIKI-

17571/P1163/004451 - Fuel Temp Sensor (G81): Open or Short to Plus

Possible Symptoms

• Fuel consumption higher then normal
  • Starting the engine is not as easy as normal
  • Emission Levels not met
Possible Causes

• Wiring/Connectors from/to Fuel Temp Sensor (G81) faulty
  • Fuel Temp Sensor (G81) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Fuel Temp Sensor (G81)
  • Check/Repair Fuel Temp Sensor (G81)
Retrieved from "http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17571/P1163/004451"
Category: Fault Codes