Replacing fuel temp sensor, tutorial

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Does the bit look like its interchangable in the 98 injection pump? I can't get a part number from 4 dealerships already. The one they gave me is 1HO 191 183 andits 134.62 what the heck is that all about. I doubt that's it.

Impex not showing it through part search, but i can never find anything through part search

Wypij

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat '96 blue
Looking at the amount of rust and deposits shown on your pic makes me think your fuel quality is horrible. And it may not only be water, but some reactants from poorly washed biodiesel as well.
One thing worth reminding to anyone attempting this procedure is that absolute cleanliness is required. Remember, you will be working past fuel filter and any dust or rust particles may well do damage to pump head or injectors. This is probably obvious to most members of this forum but worth mentioning anyway.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
I've replaced my fuel temp sensor twice...and it needs replacing again. Does anyone know if these sensors are incompatible with biodiesel? I use only ASTM spec product and the inside of my pump is spotlessly clean.

Sleet

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 98, black
Gigitt,

you mentioned doing this to your A3. I'm trying to find the part number / source for it and was hoping you or someone else could help me out. All I've been able to find were parts for the A4.

Thanks,

-J

Larry Larson

Veteran Member
The A3 and A4 part numbers are the same-- it is the same part. I researched this thoroughly because I had to replace these on both my 96 passat and my01 Jetta. As far as whether these parts are incompatible with biodiesel, I don't know. I think they may just be incompatible with BAD biodiesel. I'm making better quality fuel now after replacing these sensors. Larry

ThePapaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Gigitt said:
Anyone know the part No. for replacement Temp Sensor Screws?

Edit: Yuk!
I have two stripping torque screws (holding the temp sensor) and I as well need a part number to replace them. Anyone have it????

John

ThePapaJohn

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Bump for the question of the day!

Anyone have a part number for the torque screws to hold the temp sensor?

John

silverstar03

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI
FYI future temp sensor replacers: after I replaced mine I still had to go back with VAG COM and clear the code--it didn't go away by itself. Then the power was back and the light was gone! thanks for all the info everyone

silver2000TDI

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver
Fuel temp sensor replacement

FYI,
I also replaced the Fuel temp sensor at 175,000 KM no rust at all in the area. I was having a check engine code saying that the Fuel temp sensor was bad (couldn't clear the code before replacing this sensor). After replacing this sensor I was able to clear the code. The power was back to normal.

Cue555

paramedick said:
Part number listed in first post of the thread. Read the thread if you want the part number for the top cover gasket.

It would be easier for you to have just posted the part number instead of telling me to read the thread if you thought that was the one I was looking for but it seems people on internet forum like to be difficult. :rolleyes:

Anyway I found it on the Impex site.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Ya know, I read the thread to get it for you. I did post the part number at first and then went back and deleted it.

Why? Basically a resentment of folks that want everything given to them with no effort expended on their part.

We love to help, but why should we do all the work?

EDIT: BTW, you've posted in exactly three threads since you've been here. 1 cross-post, and 2 that you displayed an attitude in. Not a great way for a noob to get help.

Last edited:

Cue555

Thanks for your attitude, its people like you that make forums no fun or to get help in with your holier than though attitude. It took more effort for you to delete the part number and then type up your post that you replied.

Just because I have not posted here with this name much does not make helping me any less desireable.

paramedick said:
Ya know, I read the thread to get it for you. I did post the part number at first and then went back and deleted it.

Why? Basically a resentment of folks that want everything given to them with no effort expended on their part.

We love to help, but why should we do all the work?

EDIT: BTW, you've posted in exactly three threads since you've been here. 1 cross-post, and 2 that you displayed an attitude in. Not a great way for a noob to get help.

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
Cue555 said:
Thanks for your attitude, its people like you that make forums no fun or to get help in with your holier than though attitude. It took more effort for you to delete the part number and then type up your post that you replied.

Just because I have not posted here with this name much does not make helping me any less desireable.
It does not make wanting to help you any more desireable either.

fricker3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 and 2001 Jetta, 2002 New Beetle
Gigitt,
I think I would have pulled that rusty low pressure head off at the middle seal and cleaned it on the bench (following dieselgeek's instructions for marking the middle seal position). I hope that rust doesn't plug anything up.

Eric

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
FWIW, I just got off the phone with my local dealer. Price on the part was $30 and change, while it was $32 from Impex. Finally, something cheaper from the dealer!:D

...watch, now it'll be the wrong thing when it arrives on Friday.

oh, and what's the # for the metalnerd tool?

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
with a grinder and some patience can one whip up the tool? I have been wanting to take a peek inside there? Perhaps one could use an easyout tool to remove the bolt, then replace it with a regular.

Last edited:

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
ta79pr said:
with a grinder and some patience can one whip up the tool? I have been wanting to take a peek inside there? Perhaps one could use an easyout tool to remove the bolt, then replace it with a regular.
I just spent 20 minutes thinking about how to do that to the bolt with a dremel. It looks like the bolt is pretty long, though, so I'm going to hold out and do it right; it'll keep what looks like a 10 minute job from turning into a disaster...these things tend to happen to me.

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks to Wypij:

"I remember reading that one can make their own tool for this special head bolt by rounding off three surfaces inside a 7mm metric socket. Since you have a dremmel tool this might be the best way to go."

This is the route I'm taking.

Thanks again,

-B

jmcqueen

TDI
2003 Jetta
P0182 Fuel Temp Sensor Replacement Parts

Hi All:

If you're seeing the P0182 code on your Vag-Com, you need to surf over to http://www.dieselgeek.com/ cause they now sell the fuel temp sensor and special triangular bolt socket *and* the top gasket which you will definitely need when doing this simple repair. Got mine ordered last night and the total for all three items is around $60. :D

The VW dealership here in Columbus, OH said the only way to get rid of the check engine light permanently was to replace the entire Fuel Injection Pump for $1720.00 + tax. After I picked my shaking self up off the service manager's desk after he quoted this, I thought to myself, "...this is total bullpoop (G-Rated version)..." :eek:

Boy, am I ever glad I found a simple fix. I will re-post to let you know how I come out with my $1660 + tax savings.:)

j
~ 2003 Jetta TDI ~
***** RESULTS*******
It is now 3/29 and I got my kit from dieselgeek. This was a very straightforward part replacement. I am still getting the code and waiting for my cable to arrive in order to clear the code. I will edit this post again to let you know whether this takes care of the light for good.
** *RESULTS PART 2***
It is now 4/2. I received my cable from a seller on eBay, downloaded 409.1 VAG-COM software (free on the archives section of the ross-tech.com site), hooked the car up, turned the ignition on (do NOT start motor), got a connect to my laptop, ran the "01" diags check, saw the P0182 code, clicked on "clear code", shut down VAG-COM, unplugged cable from the car, turned the ignition off, removed the key,reinserted the key, started the car, and..........(drum roll please)............. the check engine light is off and has stayed off. ahhhh....sweet success!

Test drove the car (15 mi or so) and ran it through its paces ~ everything from light to heavy acceleration from different speeds and WOW...the car is PEPPY!

What I've learned: 1. Don't take what the dealer says at face value. They are telling you what they are trained to say and what is good for VW (at least in this instance). Dealer said I needed a new Fuel Injection Pump at $1720 + tax, knowing fully what the error code was, and even more likely, what actually needed to be done. Bald-faced lie. 2. This is a VERY simple repair that anyone who can find the injection pump on their car can do, assuming they can follow a simple list of instructions posted on this thread. An oil change on my scooter is actually more complicated. 3. Dieselgeek.com ships their stuff FAST. 4. Researching stuff like this resulted in over a $1700 savings to me. I paid $60 to dieselgeek for the fuel temp sensor, gasket, and metalnerd socket. I paid $22 for the cable. The software was free from ross-tech.com (you don't have to register the software in order to be able to clear an error code producing a check engine light). So, with literally 20min of my time + $82 total for the parts and cable, I was able to avoid a $1720 + tax ($1831.80 to be exact) repair bill. Total savings = $1749.80

For any of you with a P0182 code producing a CEL, this is the fix. I have heard that some of these codes can have other things that will need to be replaced (O2 sensor, MAF sensor, etc...), but the software will tell you what to look at next. Cool thing is...just about everything on this way-cool engine is able to be reached. I really like this.

Good luck!

j

Last edited:

shox75

TDI
2000 Golf TDI - previous, 2002 Jetta TDI current
Uuummmmm.....

ta79pr said:
This is my BUTCHER METHOD!!!
Get a 1/4" inverted torx socket and hammer it on the bolt till it seets down fully. It should come loose without problems. My car has 236,XXX kms on it and it came loose. Don't remove the socket from the bolt yet, re-install it then use pliers to wiggle it off. It didn't seem to destroy the bolt head, and I'm pretty sure the bosch socket will still fit onto it.

Just the backyard mechanic way! Do this if you don't have the patience to wait for the tool, but don't blame me if you round off the bolt head.
Sabi

vw754

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A3 2.0 tdi
would fuel temp sensor fitted to the a4 1.9 tdi b6 awx engine give mad mpg?,no faults via vag-com,just thinking if it would?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
jmcqueen said:
...What I've learned: 1. Don't take what the dealer says at face value. They are telling you what they are trained to say and what is good for VW (at least in this instance). Dealer said I needed a new Fuel Injection Pump at $1720 + tax, knowing fully what the error code was, and even more likely, what actually needed to be done. Bald-faced lie. ...
Well, just to present a slightly different cast to what happened to you (I sometimes enjoy being the devil's advocate), it very well may be that since VW knows it is a simple fix, and VW knows the same things that you do about the dealerships, i.e. that the service technicians see diesels only on occasion, that they are not specifically trained in diesels, and that such a dealership service department is not a hospital-operating-room-clean environment, and that a (very) little bit of dust/dirt/crud/sweat dropped unseen (or seen, the technician may just simply not care) into the injection pump's innards could be a quick disaster, then the service instructions are as they are simply to protect themselves as well as the dealership from themselves. Therefore it indirectly protects you from incompetent service techs.

But it is a very expensive way to do it, and you are correct in general because it is you that gets to pay the bill.

You are one of the lucky ones that can read and therefore help yourself and save yourself.

In the end: caveat emptor.

Cheers!

jmcqueen

TDI
2003 Jetta
Thanks Powder Hound for the insight. As a footnote, after I fixed my IP with the new fuel temp sensor and got rid of the upper limit CEL by doing the hammer mod, I had Jeff at Rocketchip.com install an RC2 in my Jetta along with some slightly larger nozzles and all I can say is WOW! I have posted elsewhere about this.

Since the original fixes on my Injection Pump, I have travelled over 3000 miles without incident. The pump was *NOT* bad and my car now runs much better than it did before with the chip.

It would be great to hear from some current or former VW service techs on this issue. Do we have any out there who would like to comment?

j
;)

Last edited:

THOMO

TDI
2002 BORA
My van keeps cutting out when it warms up, it only started when the glow plug light didn`t come on, if i keep trying the glow plug light will come on and it will start. i put on the computer and it give me fault 17571 so i ordered a fuel temp sensor. When i took the top off the pump it had wet glare and corrosion around the sensor.

I fitted the sensor and now it wont start at all any ideas ????

Last edited: