Replacing fuel lines (2003 Jetta)

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I've developed a leak in one of the injector fuel lines after running B100 (no idea if the two are related -- it was the biodiesel dissolving an oil spot from a now-fixed gasket leak and leaving a spot on the driveway that clued me in to the leak). I'm planning on replacing the injector lines with either viton or polyurethane (leaning toward viton).

What I'm wondering is:

1. What size of line (internal diameter and length) do I need,
2. What type of line do people recommend,
3. How involved is the process (e.g. do I need to have a mechanic do this),
4. and since I'm going to have way more line than I need, considering the sizes they sell it in, does anyone want what I have left over, in whole or in part?

Here is a link to the post on my thread, with a picture of the leak in question and some further details.

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
You can get pre-cut kits of Viton tubing that will be B100-compatible here:
http://www.greaseworks.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_40&products_id=212

I haven't used them myself so I cannot personally vouch for their quality, but it looks convenient and even includes a Viton end cap. They have a link to an installation video - very simple procedure, though you'll want to keep everything very clean as you're operating downstream of the fuel filter.

Edit to add: the injector return lines are a known B100 vulnerability on these cars so it's not unreasonable to assume this was the cause of failure. The other vulnerable spot are the seals in the injection pump, particular if alternating between B100 and D2 (lots of info about that available with a forum search) - Greaseworks also sells replacement Viton seal kits, if you're paying for shipping anyways it might be worth it to pick up a set so that you're ready if your IP starts to leak. Resealing the pump is a significantly more involved procedure than replacing the return lines.

Last edited:

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Those prices in your other post for the replacement line seem very cheap - are you sure they are biodieel compatible? I would look at the viton.
And I thought a 2003 would have bio-d compatible lines from the factory.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Those prices in your other post for the replacement line seem very cheap - are you sure they are biodieel compatible? I would look at the viton.
And I thought a 2003 would have bio-d compatible lines from the factory.
The Dalco lines were certified biodiesel and ethanol compatible by the manufacturer -- they also have similar ones that are not, and are a little cheaper. The polyurethane ones are not certified compatible, and I've read posts by users of them that say they discolor and harden over time, so I eliminated that as a possibility pretty quickly.

A 2003 does have lines of material that is incidentally biodiesel compatible in every part of the fuel system except for the injector return lines. The reason, as far as I can tell, is that they were chosen for durability and longevity, but not with a specific eye to fuel compatibility. Since the return lines are under very little pressure, more durable materials were not needed, and fabric-wrapped rubber was chosen. Hence the issue.

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
congrats man:) bet it was easier than you thought;p
That it was, although those old lines were fairly stubborn coming off. Putting the new ones on was a breeze. Freaked out a bit when the car didn't seem to want to start on the first couple of tries, but that sorted itself out and everything is purring along nicely now.