Replacing front fenders. Does the front bumper cover need to come off?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Very curious about this. The answer to this will help me best understand how I am going to handle my headlight situation.

Thank you.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. As well as the fender liners. Very easy.
Thanks....not to be contradictory but at around 6:40 looks like the guy was able to get the fender off without removing the front bumper cover.

I am rather ADHD and the lighting was poor in that area but it looks like he pulled it off if I am tracking.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK well let us know how that works out for you. I guess if you drilled holes in the edge of the bumper cover to access the fender screws UNDERNEATH it...

But hey, I've had about 100 front fenders off of A4 cars, what do I know? :D Maybe there is a magic way?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
OK well let us know how that works out for you. I guess if you drilled holes in the edge of the bumper cover to access the fender screws UNDERNEATH it...

But hey, I've had about 100 front fenders off of A4 cars, what do I know? :D Maybe there is a magic way?
Nah, I won't even bother with using his methodology then.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There is a TSB out there for this, worth finding. VW has a hardware kit available, may or may not need that.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
You might be able to yank and pull it out like the guy in the video but risk breaking stuff and then have fun getting it back. If you break the part off of the bumper that clips to the car behind the bumper then the next step is a big screw on the outside of the bumper to put it back. The bumper is designed to slide on as a unit.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
You might be able to yank and pull it out like the guy in the video but risk breaking stuff and then have fun getting it back. If you break the part off of the bumper that clips to the car behind the bumper then the next step is a big screw on the outside of the bumper to put it back. The bumper is designed to slide on as a unit.
Lol, is that what he did. The lighting was pretty poor around that time and I was half asleep lol.