Replacing DMF without dropping trans

Gonx

TDI
2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI/DSG
Hello all,
I have a new dmf on the way and am going to be replacing soon in my dsg. I assumed I was going to be dropping the trans like everyone does but I have seen a few people post on the forums that you can get to it without dropping the trans instead just kinda move it out of the way. Supposedly it’s very tight but is achievable. Does anyone actually have experience doing it this way? If this is the case I should have my dmf done in 30 min lol. Thanks for the help guys

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
This request reminds me of changing clutches on old school Saab 900s.

Remove the clutch cover, remove the clutch input shaft, install clutch retainer spring, remove clutch.

You could do a clutch in 1/2 hour. No trans removal needed. However, it was designed that way because the transmission case was also the oil pan and required a complete engine re&re in order to separate from the engine.

Ahh the good old days.

TLDR - remove the trans anyway, not worth it to shortcut.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Having done this exact thing recently, I can say it's easy in the sense that it's straight forward and not difficult on a scale of jobs if you have basic skills and can follow instructions/videos. If you work in a shop, have access to vehicle lifts, transmission jacks and specialty tools, its a cake walk. If you are doing it on a driveway, garage floor or in a dirt lot while positioned on your back with limited resources, it does in fact take some time to R&R the tranny. Really depends on your access to resources that make it easy or difficult.

Gonx

TDI
2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI/DSG
Having done this exact thing recently, I can say it's easy in the sense that it's straight forward and not difficult on a scale of jobs if you have basic skills and can follow instructions/videos. If you work in a shop, have access to vehicle lifts, transmission jacks and specialty tools, its a cake walk. If you are doing it on a driveway, garage floor or in a dirt lot while positioned on your back with limited resources, it does in fact take some time to R&R the tranny. Really depends on your access to resources that make it easy or difficult.
I got all the tools and a lift not worried about doing the job just questioning if it could be done that easy. Only thing I don’t have is a trans jack but I’m hoping a couple buddies and a carjack will do the trick. Did you remove your subframe to do yours?

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yes, I dropped my subframe. It can be done without dropping it, but the axle flange will have to be maneuvered around the subframe to clear it. Not difficult, but an annoyance. I have the subframe locater pins that I used when dropping the subframe, so re-aligning it was not a problem on the re-installation, it lined back up without an issue. Removing the subframe is no big deal and it just gives you that much more room to get the tranny in and out while working. You can try it without removing the subframe and if it doesn't work, remove the subframe in a few minutes and carry on.