Replacing an axle

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
Had the passenger side outer boot throw its grease the other day. I hear general consensus it's better just to replace the whole axle rather than spend the time repacking a new boot. Its 105k miles old, so I would agree since the inner boot is possibly right behind it.
Does anyone know if it's easy enough to r&r an axle on an mk6 without undoing the ball joint nuts? I just paid for an alignment after replacing the struts and shocks, so I would like to avoid having to do that again less than 1000 miles later.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
It all depends on what you are going to replace the whole axle with. Even if you buy the top of the line axle from the local parts store they are not going to be as durable as the OEM ones.

If the boot is torn, replace and repack with some cv grease. Its not that much to do it.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
It all depends on what you are going to replace the whole axle with. Even if you buy the top of the line axle from the local parts store they are not going to be as durable as the OEM ones.
I would counterpoint that axles made by Raxles are at the very least equal to OEM if not better (in the case of a lowered vehicle). Totally worth the price.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You *can* get the axle loose without removing the three nuts, but it can be a pain. There is not much wiggle room on those nuts and studs (like on earlier platforms), so I'd just put them back where you found them and you should be fine.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
Always fix the OEM axle. Never replace it with a Chinese piece of junk.
You are exactly correct. I put in a cheap Chinese one as they worked in the past for me. But on my 01, it literally didn’t last 50 miles. Ended up doing both sides with oem and have made it 100k miles so far

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
I never would consider a Chinese piece of anything to replace on my car. Especially something as essential as this.
Always fix the OEM axle. Never replace it with a Chinese piece of junk.
What of Gkn? I see vendors selling their stuff. Looks like they are out of the UK. Can anyone speak for their quality?

Also, oilhammer, you are the first mechanic I've talked to that suggests I repair the boot. Im not discrediting you by any means, but I find it peculiar that 2 other veteran mechanics who are friends of mine tell me not to waste time with the boot.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Raxles does not "make" anything, they rebuild OEM ones.
Yep, so the OP either can rebuild his own or pay someone to do it, or buy chinesium-lifetime-replacing-part from a box store or equivalent.

I never would consider a Chinese piece of anything to replace on my car. Especially something as essential as this.

What of Gkn? I see vendors selling their stuff. Looks like they are out of the UK. Can anyone speak for their quality?

Also, oilhammer, you are the first mechanic I've talked to that suggests I repair the boot. Im not discrediting you by any means, but I find it peculiar that 2 other veteran mechanics who are friends of mine tell me not to waste time with the boot.
If you read or search enough on this forum you will find that rebuilding OEM is the best way to go, whether you pay a source like Raxles or do it yourself.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Of course another option yet is to buy one in good condition/low miles from a wrecker and DIY the old one (or have rebuilt) when it's convenient. Presto, spare part!

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yep, so the OP either can rebuild his own or pay someone to do it, or buy chinesium-lifetime-replacing-part from a box store or equivalent.

If you read or search enough on this forum you will find that rebuilding OEM is the best way to go, whether you pay a source like Raxles or do it yourself.

Where should I buy the rebuild kits for the original axles?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Where should I buy the rebuild kits for the original axles?
I got mine from idparts.com They have all the boot kits for inner or outer for auto or manual trans. They also have the full joint kit too if you need to do that.

I could never find a local box store that would carry the kits. It seems no one rebuilds them because it's cheaper in the short run to by crap axles and keep replacing them. No way I would want to be doing that over and over considering the mileage that gets put on a TDI.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I got mine from idparts.com They have all the boot kits for inner or outer for auto or manual trans. They also have the full joint kit too if you need to do that.

I could never find a local box store that would carry the kits. It seems no one rebuilds them because it's cheaper in the short run to by crap axles and keep replacing them. No way I would want to be doing that over and over considering the mileage that gets put on a TDI.
I was going to go this exact route but found a low mileage axle at a local wrecker for less money than the repair kit (after shipping+duty+tax) so it was a no brainer. It's got considerable mileage since then and no signs of any issues. Not to mention I have a spare on the shelf I can rebuild if the used one I installed starts to go with little to no down time.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Good call, I always recommend either getting a new OE axle, rebuilding your existing one, or going used rather than getting a Chinese one. Hope it works well for you!