Replacing AC Hose, do I need new Drier and Expansion Valve

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Replacing the condenser to evap hose sometime this week hopefully on 06 Jetta TDI. http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/prod...RANT-AC-HOSE-AC-HOSE/5184490/1K0820741BD.html

Can I get by with just replacing hose (mine has hole in it from the serp belt)
I will need to do a evap and recharge with 134A.

Was wondering if I can avoid replacing the drier looks like the whole front end has to come off.
The original compressor is still in place and has no issues.

Last edited:

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
My experience

Daughter's EOS lost all the charge due to leaking refrigerant pressure switch about 6 months ago.(g65 switch , I think it's called)

The switch was replaced. Hooked up my 2 stage vacuum pump for about 5 hours to pull a strong vacuum and rid system of any moisture.

Then added the 19 oz (don't quote me). It has been running good since, no issues that I know of.

The 134a was about $5 a can, so not a huge investment to try to do your repairs, evacuate well and then add the refrigerant.

I understand the general rule is to replace the filter drier when the system is opened up. The dissicant inside the filter drier absorbs any moisture and when it's moisture holding capacity is reached, it will no longer absorb moisture.
In some scenarios the filter drier can clog up and cause an unfavorable pressure drop in the liquid line also.