Replacement Engine

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Ok, I have a 2003 replacement ALH engine for my 2003 Golf. It is from an automatic, with 80,000 miles on it. Comes complete, minus the turbo.

My car is a manual, so I was advised by folks on this awesome forum, to get the engine from an auto, and swap over the manual's injectors. I will also be replacing the clutch as well, as my car died with 400K miles on it.

Engine will arrive next week.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Correct - the auto had the larger (11mm) fuel pump, the manual got the larger injector nozzles. Definitely use the replacement engine's pump, when combined with your manual injectors you'll see a bit of a power increase over stock manual configuration.

But, here's another thought - since you'll have two sets of injectors, if the ones from your manual are in need of a refresh you could send them out for that and use the auto ones temporarily, then swap in the refreshed ones once you get them back.

With only 80K on them, the auto injectors should be in great shape, and with the auto engine's pump should feel pretty much the same power as your old engine did new.

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
As far as I understood 90hp automatics had smaller injectors but bigger plunger in the injection pump (11mm vs 10 mm in manual) If you have plans on increase power, keep injection pump from auto as it will allow you to reach higher HP

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You will also need to change the coolant flange on the head and the coolant crossover pipe, as those are also different.

OkiHero

TDI
04 Golf BEW
I'm just gonna ride this wave since it's here. What's is a suitable and direct swap for a BEW with 09A?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'm just gonna ride this wave since it's here. What's is a suitable and direct swap for a BEW with 09A?
Another BEW.... With another 09A, or manual swap it.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I do plan on keeping the lower mileage IP. Getting the manual injectors rebuilt is a good idea. I wonder who in the DFW area does that. Any ideas?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I do plan on keeping the lower mileage IP. Getting the manual injectors rebuilt is a good idea. I wonder who in the DFW area does that. Any ideas?
M&D in Dallas probably will. There is also Abel injection in Lewisville. Im sure there are others, but those are the ones I know of.