Replacement Ckra turbo failed

samb91

TDI
2013 passat tdi
2013 passat
146k at time of new turbo being installed
Currently at 148k
Should have gotten pics but got oil leaking out of the bottom of the compressor side.
Now burning more oil than the original turbo I replaced.

Anyone have experience with the warranty through idparts?
To avoid the car being down for extended time period they say you can order another turbo, but seems like a risky gamble waiting on borg warner to determine if it will be covered or not.

Are these turbos hit or miss on if they will be garbage from the start?

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
what is the part number on the turbo you have. To only go 2k miles and then fail is unusual.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Could it be that you have a clogged or mostly clogged DPF - supposedly that can lead to turbo failure. If it was my car at 146K miles and I had to replace the turbo (and was planning on keeping the car a long time) I would strongly consider replace both the turbo and the DPF at the same time. I know this adds a lot of the cost, but that DPF does not last forever and this would be a good time to do it.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
There was a great video by Diagnose Dan on YT about turbo replacement. Basically a shop replaced a failed turbo without identifying the cause of original failure. Once new turbo was installed, it failed very quickly. The culprit was the issue with oil delivery, causing new turbo to fail from oil starvation from the same cause as original.

Did you identify the cause of the original turbo failure? Second, the part numbers ending with X signify remanufactured unit (not brand new), I guess it is possible for a reman unit to be defective. I would ask if there is adequate oil delivery and outflow? Subscribing to this thread, curious as to the cause/outcome. I can't imagine classifying Borg Warner turbos as complete junk, since they still last for so long. My personal favorite are Garrett turbos, I seem to see better luck with these.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I also going to ask how was the new turbo was installed? A shop, did the OP installed it. Was the turbo primed with oil before firing the engine, did they do a full oil clean/flush if the old turbo failed.

I hate to say it but the CKRA have a stupid issue with it's turbo.

samb91

TDI
2013 passat tdi
I installed the turbo. Turbo was pre lubed with the little tube of installation lube. And then primed with extended cranking. Previous turbo replaced for shaft play and eating oil not any catastrophic failure.

Consumption definitely increased over the one I removed. For how much oil is being used I would have thought this thing would be smoking like crazy.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
How much oil accumulated at the bottom of the intercooler? Did you drain all that out (pull the big hose going into it)?

two passat man

TDI
2013 passat black on black
I had a replacement turbo from ECS that went at 9000 miles after replacing it. I sent it back to them and after a few months they sent me a new one. You might have to take it out and ship back to them so they can check it out and replace.