Replacement Battery

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
You should do a search, but folks around here have bought suitable batteries at Walmart and Costco. Offhand I can't remember the group size (45?)...

Brioscooter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 and 2005 Golf TDIs
My advice is to buy the largest and most powerful battery that will fit into the alloted space. Sometimes you will need to modify or even fabricate hold downs to anchor an oversized battery, as it won't drop into the original tray, but bigger is better on those really cold mornings.
Just my two cents.

KOATDI

I performed a "battery" search, but no messages really discussed battery brand or group size and if it fit the battery case. A few did install the OPTIMA battery but the case and lid won't fit.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I just put an Optima orange top battery in my 99.5 Golf because of slow starting as compared to my 03 Jetta Wagon. It's smaller than the OEM in width but is almost EXACTLY the same depth. I just had to grind down one side of my battery hold down clamp~~~WORKS GREAT!!!

rustbugs

TDI
1998 NB TDI
I needed a new battery for my NB and I purchased it from Advance. It cost about $59.00 and I had to put it in. It fits in the case and it has worked great.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I understand the Optima is not making the orange top reverseable post battery anymore but are using the Red Top instead. This was posted somewhere else by Optima in one on the battery threads.

KOATDI

My original battery in my 99.5 Jetta is starting to show it's age with slow cranking (this winter has been tough on it). I've looked at Autozone, Advance Auto, ULTIMA and Sears web sites and they all say no battery is available for the TDI. I want a battery that will fit properly in the battery case. Do I have to buy from the dealer?

Cold in Virginia
'56,65,73,78 Beetle
'69 Ghia
'82 Quantum TD
'85 Vanagon
'91 Jetta
'93 Eurovan (2)
'99 Jetta TDI

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
This was what Optima wrote me about my 2002 Golf:

Your Golf came from the factory with a Group 47 battery. The comparable Optima is the RedTop 75/35 (part #8022-091). You will also require the end spacer adapter (part # 242-0004). For a perfect fit also make sure you rotate the battery and check its height clearance. The 75/35 is 7 5/8
inches tall. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your interest and support of Optima Batteries.

Optima Batteries
Customer Service
1800 292-435

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
My, my, a new car. I meant my 2001 Golf.

Originally posted by Mass. Wine Guy:
This was what Optima wrote me about my 2002 Golf
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Sootblower

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Atlantic Blue
I installed an Optima orange top in my 2000 Jetta. Since the connectors are closer to center, I had to position the battery so that the fuse holded cleared the battery cable ends. I was able to install without any modifications. Even after rotating 180 degrees, cable length may be a problem when installing a red top because it does not have reversed terminals.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Hi, I have installed Optima red tops in both Jettas (00 and 01), no problems with installation. The 00 fit right in without mods, the 01 I have to cut a zip tie holding the positive cable and move it a little to reach. The batteries are only rated for 800 CCA but they have a HUGE reserve capacity. I had gelling fuel the other day and it cranked for a total of 4 minutes over 3 days and still started the car fine, my old 87 Jetta has 30 seconds tops of cranking on its new regular battery. I recently learned that Optima recommends a deep cycle battery for diesel applications though, (yellow top), I paid $230 CAD for mine no idea how much more the deep cycle is. I saw the red tops for $100 USD on many websites, a much better deal!
I will never buy a lead acid battery again after owning these Optima gel cells, they are truly a cut above (like switching to synthetic oil)
Greg

Fast_SilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
I have great news for those living in Canada. My battery was getting flaky on me. Sometimes my starting voltage (under load) was 9.7-9.5V. Then sometimes it'd be higher so I decided it was time to replace. Well, Canadian Tire carries a battery that has the divots in the foot and 690CCA's which is 50 more than the original. It fits superbly. It's about 1" less wide but that causes no problems at all and all the covers fit on perfectly. The battery is 104 plus tax which is not bad for 2yrs free replacement and then a total of 72months warr. It also has a 85min reserve capacity.