Replacement 01M Not Available from Dealer

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
01M 300 039 CX replacement transmission for my 2000 TDI Jetta is no longer available from VW.

01M 300 032 GX which fit some 2000 TDI's is still available for ~$3,600.

Does anyone know what the differences are and what it would take to fit the 01M 300 032 GX into a car that came with the 01M 300 039 C(X)?

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks OH, do you think the 01M 300 032 GX will plug and play?

The transmission is stamped:

ELT 29109
3169ZD4

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, it'll work perfect! :)And if your local dealer knew how to do their job, they'd see in ETKA that the ELT code is also replaced by the 032-GX transmission. Most ALHs were bolted to the FDB 01M, though.

The 01M-300-032-GX is for trans codes FDB, EPB, ELT, and ECN.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Thanks!

YOU are THE MAN!
FWIW, there is 1 01M-300-039-CX left in the country, in the NJ warehouse. There are 2 01M-300-032-GX trans here, one in TX and another in FL, and several in Canada. But as I said, both are listed as suitable for ELT trans codes, so take your pic. But I am pretty sure the 039-CX one is obsoleted, and if you get that one, you may also need to buy the newer style VSS sender 095-927-321-B. I'd just get the GX and be done with it. It'll come complete, you will only need the trans mount vertical bolts, reset the TCM memory, swap the VSS head, and correct the ATF level (they come filled, you just need to drain a wee bit out). Diff will be filled, too.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01M 300 032 GX ordered!

New plan:

No Kerma or other mods.

No more WOT wheel spinning launches even though 1st and 2nd gear are still solid in the dead 01M and will still do burn outs now with no problem... in other words I don't think that is what did in 3rd and 4th gear... the Kerma mod's decrease of clamping pressure in 3rd and 4th and the added RocketChip power may have significantly contributed to Freddy claiming another 01M. But 161k miles, 101k of which were ours, isn't bad really in the scope of 01M's in Freddyville.

From now on, OEM fluid and filter at 10k miles or ~10 months to inspect inside of filter prior to 12 month 12k mile warranty expiration.

Then OEM fluid and filter every 20k miles... if for nothing else, just for me to inspect the inside of the filter to see if there are any early warning signs.

Goal: Get at least another 100k miles if not the 161k miles of reliable service this original 01M gave.

Reason: Engine has many nice mods like VNT-17, 357 injectors, RC-II, new DG TB, and runs flawlessly with enough power to not be a slug like a stock TDI. Fuel economy is still excellent. Body is in fair shape with no rust and minor door dings and scratches. Interior would clean up like new.

There is just too much life left in this 10 year old car to part it out now and I fear I don't have the stamina to do the 5-speed swap at this time... Plus wifey prefers an automatic because of her bad knees.

oilhammer

TDI
With those mods, I would recode the TCM to be in Sport Mode, I think that will help the ATF pump move more fluid as it will hold the gears a bit more.

You can easily do a drain and fill on the 01M in just a few minutes without much mess or hassle. The check plug also allows you to get in and unscrew the red tube, allowing much of the ATF in the trans to drain. If you do that frequently enough, you should be able to keep most of the ATF clean.

You are right, 160k miles, much of the modded with spirited driving, that 01M owes you nothing, you did good. :)

Also, make sure the round connector atop the trans is squeaky clean inside. That connector goes to the shift solenoids and the ATF temp sensor, and is often a source of issues from water intrusion. People driving around with no shielding underneath are the worst for this (along with all the other stuff that gets tooefed).

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
It'll come complete, you will only need the trans mount vertical bolts, reset the TCM memory, swap the VSS head, and correct the ATF level (they come filled, you just need to drain a wee bit out). Diff will be filled, too.
Is the mount different that the one that is on the car now?
Could I trouble you for the P/N?

Are all the vertical bolts the same? I keep some new ones on hand...

Isn't there a special brace that is needed to hold the engine in place when the trans is dropped?

Is the TCM memory reset with VAG-Com?

Where is the VSS head?

oilhammer

TDI
The bolts are the same ones as on the t-belt side (the 18mm head ones).

I use the same brace as I use for other jobs, but I use a threaded hook so I can lower the trans down a couple inches so it will clear the body.

Reset the TCM memory with VCDS, in the TCM, yes. First, go into fault codes, clear them (even if none are preset). Then go into adaptation and read/reset Group 00, then go back.

Then go into coding, VCDS will have a pop-up helper box, you will basically just be changing a 0 to a 1.

The VSS head just screws on the top of the diff, little black guy with a plug, real simple. Just snug it (it is plastic!).

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
With those mods, I would recode the TCM to be in Sport Mode, I think that will help the ATF pump move more fluid as it will hold the gears a bit more.
Yes, that was my first "mod" and I think the adapt is turned off, does that sound right? Also I believe the slightly higher shift points are less stressful on the trans and even engine and worth the very slight ding to fuel economy.

You can easily do a drain and fill on the 01M in just a few minutes without much mess or hassle. The check plug also allows you to get in and unscrew the red tube, allowing much of the ATF in the trans to drain. If you do that frequently enough, you should be able to keep most of the ATF clean.
Every 10k I have done the drain and fill, about ~2 quarts of ATF. Then every 20k it's filter dissection time. I heli-coiled the four pan bolts long ago for insurance since I expected to be doing many filter changes over time, and even though I use a torque wrench on the bolts every time.

Also, make sure the round connector atop the trans is squeaky clean inside. That connector goes to the shift solenoids and the ATF temp sensor, and is often a source of issues from water intrusion. People driving around with no shielding underneath are the worst for this (along with all the other stuff that gets tooefed).
Panzer plate and OEM side "curtains" with screws to Panzerplate to insure a good seal. Inner fender liners replaced when damaged as well as removed once a year to clean debris from behind them to help avoid rust forming agaist firewall and rocker panel.

Should I put a dab of dielectric silicone grease inside the connector?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
...I'd just get the GX and be done with it. It'll come complete, you will only need the trans mount vertical bolts, reset the TCM memory, swap the VSS head, and correct the ATF level (they come filled, you just need to drain a wee bit out). Diff will be filled, too.
Could I trouble you to get me the correct trans mount part number that I will need?

I already have the new bolts in hand but I am unsure of the mount.

I am assuming the mount is different if I need to replace it, unless it is an issue of the threads failing?

Thanks!
-Mike

oilhammer

TDI
You should not need to replace that bracket. But if you did, the part number is 1J0-199-117-N. I have never had to replace one of these.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
oilhammer, when you get time, could you post up the correct current VW ATF p/n?

I know that the manual trans has gone through several newer backwards compatible gear lubes and I am curious if the specified ATF has also changed over the years?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
So far, so good...

This replacement 01M is definitely a new case.

This "new" 01M shifts into drive and reverse much faster than the original 01M did when we got it in 2006 with 60k miles on it.

It feels much more solid in 1st gear than the original one did before I did the KERMA mod to address those issues in 2006... I really think that original 01M was already not very healthy when we first bought it.

How much slippage is acceptable and how much is enough to worry about when I log the torque coveter clutch slippage and in which situations?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
The TCM monitors clutch slippage. "Too much" is when it tells you so and sends a message to the ECU to send a message to the Instruments to turn on the MIL. :p

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
Lurker Mike! So what happened?

As I recall, you wew like the ONE guy here who had successfully swapped from VW ATF to Amsoil ATF.

From reading this thread I get the impression that you feel that the kerma mod was a negative? Didn't you also put in an IPT valve body at some point as well? Seems liek a couple years ago you siad you were going to buy the IPT trans when it came time over the VW. You've changed your mind, why?

More details please.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
It is my wife's car and she's my bestest customer.

Her report to me was the check engine light "just" came on and the transmission "just" started slipping.

Fine.

Slap a rebuilt valve body on it and buy the time needed to orchestrate a 5-speed swap.

But what she really meant, that didn't come out till after the rebuilt valve body made no difference, was that she drove the car some additional 40 or 50 miles in Drive, *AFTER* it started slipping and the check engine light came on. Toasted.

After struggling with her not having a car for the few days it to to do the valve body swap, then finding out that the situation was not as she had initially described, I was in a serious crunch for time to get the car back on the road.

I called IPT the Friday afternoon that I realized that Freddy had indeed claimed another 01M to get a time-line on what the deal would be with them. I had to ship the trans to them and wait for it to be rebuilt and shipped back to me. They were supposed to call me back before 5:30pm, but that never happened.

I called the dealer and found out the 01M part number specified for my wife's car was "unavailable". But a fast response from Oilhammer got me straightened out on what part number 01M I really needed and they said they could have it by Tuesday. This made waiting for IPT no longer an option for me.

I called local TDI Guru Troy Sentz to ask him about the particulars of what I would encounter in swapping out the 01M since he does not have a lift either. He told me I would need help and it would be no fun as you can't get the car high enough on jack stands to use a transmission lift. He said he had always gotten someone to help him manhandle the 01M in and out and it has to be rotated 90* in the process.

My back was giving me trouble so I asked him if he could either do it or help me do it. He refereed me to a shop that specializes in German cars, nice late model BMW's, Benz and Porches mostly. For $500 they said they would do the swap in a single day.

So I drove Whitey the some 50 miles to drop it off, by manually shifting it. 1st and 2nd were still solid. It flared some going into 3rd but I worked the throttle to minimize the flair. Since 4th was like 50% slippage, I never shifted out of 3rd, except to downshift so that I could control the upshift back to 3rd. I never got over 45 mph, but at 2:00am on the side roads, it was actually a nice ride.

Tuesday I picked up the new 01M and delivered it to them late in the day. Wednesday they did the swap and we picked up the car and ofter returning Thursday for the core, I was done.

Whitey is truly a very nice driving car. We did the struts and shocks with OEM standard replacements a year or so ago. It drives smooth and quiet with no rattles, no play in wheel or looseness on the road. With the RC-II, 357 nozzles and a VNT-17 turbo, Whitey is no slouch, and is in fact how all ALH TDI's *SHOULD* have come to start with. If Cadillac made a TDI, it would be a Whitey.

My assessment of the failure: The 01M was wounded when we purchased it in 2006 with 60k one owner miles on it. The fluid was mud brown and thick. The shift into Reverse or Drive took ~3 second to complete and the 1st to 2nd gear shift was extremely soft. The Amsoil ATF probably neither helped nor hurt the 01M significantly, but doing a thorough fluid change over and then frequent fluid and filter changes probably did help. And while the 32 clicks of the KERMA line pressure mod solved the long delay going into Reverse and Drive and it firmed up the 1st to second gear shift to the point it would sometimes "bark" second gear under hard acceleration, ultimately it robbed line pressure from 3rd and 4th gear and this reduction of clamping pressure coupled with the age and wear of the valve body probably explains this mode of 01M Fail.

So to sum up this saga... it became a case of "sudden failure" that I had to resort to "crisis management" and this is why the decision was made to "Fight FAIL with moar FAIL" and slap another new completly stock 01M in there.

I believe my goal is realistic... if she can get another 100,000 miles out of this new 01M, with frequent fluid servicing, the same as before, but maybe not with Amsoil, it will have been a cost effective successful solution. The car could not be replaced for what this repair cost and it required the least amount of downtime of all the other options.

I have been told that BG makes a VW approved ATF for around $9 per quart that I will investigate. That's less than 1/2 what the dealer charges for the G-052-162-A2 ATF.

Unless there is some other "approved" ATF that others have had good success with?

Yes, 01M's suck in terms of their high repair/replacement costs and their "short lifespans". When VW says the 01M has a "lifetime fill" ATF, what they mean is the 01M will probably fail long before the ATF would fail an oil analysis.

Does that answer your question?

TDeanI

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Wagon w/ 286K mi.
Yes, 01M's suck in terms of their high repair/replacement costs and their "short lifespans". When VW says the 01M has a "lifetime fill" ATF, what they mean is the 01M will probably fail long before the ATF would fail an oil analysis.
That is scarey, as that is 100% correct. The fluid will last the lifetime of the tranny. I guess that could be VW's new Slogan for 2011. "We have Lifetime Loyalty Owners" meaning that we have loyal owners until the car dies, we (the dealer) can't fix it, warranty it, or get parts for it, and the owners will buy another brand of car when their car is dead or cost more to fix than it is worth.

I find it really scarey that a TDI is only 10-years old and now nearly impossible to find NOS parts for. Wait another 10-years.
I don't like lifetime or 100K miles anything, it is just eliminating a routine maintence item, and turning it into a severe head ache and major expense at 100K miles down the road. Try replacing a "100K mile" sparkplug at 100K miles in an aluminum head in a minivan.