replaced antenna mast and now crappy signal

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
Guys,

I replaced my factory mast on my 01 golf the other day and now i get far less signal than before. My factory unit was missing a seal and rusting so a threw it out :mad:.

The new "bora" unit came in and was a nice looking unit, looked just like factory.

I live out in the sticks so it has made my morning drive pretty miserable so i need some help boosting my antenna service.

Any help is much appreciated.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Guys,

I replaced my factory mast on my 01 golf the other day and now i get far less signal than before. My factory unit was missing a seal and rusting so a threw it out :mad:.

The new "bora" unit came in and was a nice looking unit, looked just like factory.

I live out in the sticks so it has made my morning drive pretty miserable so i need some help boosting my antenna service.

Any help is much appreciated.
The amplifier is in the base and that may well be corroded thus your poor signal.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Out of curiosity, was it a factory antenna mast you ordered?

If so, what was thepart number you received?

I ask because the Golf uses part number 3A0-051-849. It is a 450mm antenna.

Whereas the Jetta/Bora uses a 1J0-035-849. I do not have the length of it, but I am wondering if the 3A0 antenna is tuned slightly different to accomidate for a longer or shorter antenna harness from the radio.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
People over here stick little ones on all the time but don't lose signal, was it the base and the antenna or just the antenna itself? How's the wire underneath where the base clamp on?

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
it was the base itself. The wire underneath fit great, nice and snug and perfect length. I had another one i bought off amazon that was junk fit so i threw it in the trash. The one i have now fits perfect but has terrible reception.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I wonder if either the one you took off was amplified or if that one needs something extra. From what I could find on vagcat previously it seems only cars with satnav had the amplified antenna though