Replace HPFP as preventive maintenance?

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
Anyone think that it might be a good idea to change the high pressure pump before it fails?
I thought this might be wise to do at 120,000 miles when replacing the timing belt.
As I understand it the pump runs about $700 and might save a lot of grief and money down the road.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if it aint broke, don't fix it.

(my $0.02 worth)

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Anyone think that it might be a good idea to change the high pressure pump before it fails?
I thought this might be wise to do at 120,000 miles when replacing the timing belt.
As I understand it the pump runs about $700 and might save a lot of grief and money down the road.
Or you might change it and have the untried new one crap out too.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
A CP3 pump would be a smart install if you plan on keeping your car and you're past 120K miles in my opinion. If you install another CP4 pump you're still at risk for an expensive failure.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no apparent pattern to the failure of these pumps. Some fail early in life, others last a long time and potentially never need replacement for the life of the vehicle. So, an attempt at a "preventive replacement" could very well replace a pump that was destined never to have a problem (it's already done 120,000 mi) with one destined for premature failure. The risk associated with contamination of doing the replacement job itself could cause the replacement pump to fail. They're extremely sensitive to dirt or water contamination.

Here are your reasonable choices.

- Given the emissions scandal, do NOTHING and let VW buy the car back.
- Or, given the extended warranty that is mandatory with the "fix", wait for the fix to become available (if it ever happens) and if it proves to be decent, let VW fix it. You will get some cash, and you will also get a mandatory 4 yr / 48,000 mi warranty that includes that infernal HPFP.
- Or, if you insist on keeping the car long term, change out the CP4 pump with the CP3 pump and retrofit kit.

There's no way I'd replace a (seemingly) good CP4 with another CP4. If you're going to the trouble of an injector pump replacement, replace it with something less prone to failure.