Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Be very Careful with this guy !

Read my post "Bad Guru"

$3500.00 he got me for !!!!

Just Saying!

Lied to me for 2 Months......
Take your complaint to the vendor accountability thread, please.

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
For what it's worth - my recent experience...

For what it's worth:
I had been needing to find to find a trusted TDI mechanic for last 3 years since I moved to the South Atlanta area for my '09 Jetta...just so I would not get gouged by dealers' prices, etc on regular maintenance...and just recently ran across the thread here under:

"TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > South Eastern USA >
Repairs at Richard's.

After reading through the whole thread, spanning from 1/2013 to the present, I figured the guy had done a few good jobs and seems to have built a rep as a decent mechanic on here. So, I wrote him then talked on phone and made appointment for last weekend.

Nothing major, just a DSG oil and fuel filter change, plus taking a look at car overall and doing a VCDS diagnostic on my CEL and code "P047A - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 2" (which we decided dealer would look at since I had that $500 TDI Goodwill Package Dealer Service money to use - a separate story for which I will post separately, as I welcome others' input and experiences, some of which I've read up on here... :) )

AAAnyways, all I can say is, this mechanic treated me with nothing but respect, took his time answering all my questions patiently (before AND after service), fully, and found him to be as others described in the mentioned thread. All the while, hobbling on his recovering ankle and enlightening me in various TDI topics and my vehicle... ran through a full VCDS diagnostic, explained much, etc.

So, no one is perfect, I dunno what happened in this other, particular instance, and need not know; it's none of my business.

Just saying, for balance and fairness' sake, how my experience has been. I felt I paid a fair price for fair work and guidance.

Lastly, as some wise/elder forum members mentioned in the other thread spawned, under "vendor issues", I also hope that the parties involved can dialogue in proper manner, and come to some sort of settlement, based on facts, even repentance and forgiveness and making amends, if necessary, and not driven by hurts, emotions or other "non-constructive forces". There's enough of that yuk in the world.....

We're all humans...sometimes we get stuck in moments unforeseen, or awkward, or whatever. Whatever happens, I hope things can cool off, and true, constructive justice can be arranged.

Blessings and good vibes to all.
md.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I find it interesting how this guy left out so much of the information on his repair. 1. He hydro-locked his motor causing two bent rods and that was fixed. 2. then he destroyed the turbo, sending both impellers thru the entire intake and exhaust and would not repair it correctly as advised. Then he said I should pay for all repairs when he is the one who destroyed the motor. wow. All of this is addressed in the "Vender accountability" thread.

Last edited:

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
I find it interesting how this guy left out so much of the information on his repair. 1. He hydro-locked his motor causing two bent rods and that was fixed. 2. then he destroyed the turbo, sending both impellers thru the entire intake and exhaust and would not repair it correctly as advised. Then he said I should pay for all repairs when he is the one who destroyed the motor. wow. All of this is addressed in the "Vender accountability" thread.
How does the impeller make it threw the inner cooler to even touch the intake that one has me stumped.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
lol This intercooler had over two quarts of oil in it, all the way to the intake and head. It is the small particular metal that flows with the oil that gets thru the intercooler. The intercooler does not a filter in it to keep small pieces from flowing thru it into the motor. lol No the whole impeller can not get thru the intercooler just the pieces that were in the oil that got it the intake system
I'm also interested in how when an engine blows metal gets past the oil filter but it does.

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
wow it has been a year now since I had my ankle replaced and it sure is different than before, I can walk again without the intense pain that was there before.
I have been working on all types of TDIs though out the this past year, but doing it a lot slower then in the past. All at my pace, lol and that sure can be slower.
I have completely torn my NB engine apart again as it had an oil leak and a head gasket starting to leak. I also have installed my long awaited modified transmission this time and it is so sweet. It has higher 1st, 2nd, 3rd, stock 4th and a higher 5th. I highly recommend this gearing to anyone who wants to extend these gears. It is super.
It is really cold out this week, but going to be warmer by the end of the week so I will be able to get back into the garage again.
It is nice to be back. Happy New Year to all out there, hope to see or hear from you all soon.