Repairing Peeled Paint?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Earlier today while going to get into my 2003 Jetta wagon, I noticed a thin strip of paint peeling at the 12 o'clock position on the front left wheel well/fender, directly above the wheel. I'd say about 1/2 inch wide and 3 inches long. When I touched it, it just peeled right off, revealing bare metal. I saw some rust stains, but nothing below the surface.

I really don't want to pay big bucks to my body shop to fix this. What is the best method of getting the section back to looking somewhat original? Roughen up the base, paint with primer, then apply several thin coats with touchup paint?

Thank you.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The New England VW rep. says the TSB coverage was 4 years/50,000 miles, so I'm out of luck. So, back to square one. What's the best way to fix this, short of replacing the fender?

tas

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2001 baltic green
i've got the same thing on the pass. side but with 150k its not covered

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Mass. Wine Guy said:
So, back to square one. What's the best way to fix this, short of replacing the fender?

The fender needs to be professionally re-finished.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Mass. Wine Guy said:
The New England VW rep. says the TSB coverage was 4 years/50,000 miles.
I would double check this information and look in your manual for a corrosion warranty. As was stated in the thread, I was able to get this work done at 97k...I'm pretty sure the dearlership was only concerned about me being under 100. If the rep is trying to pull a fast one on you, you may have to do what I did and go over his head - talk to VW directly.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I sent in the Web form to VWoA this morning asking them to help me on this. I'm sure they will probably just give me a new car.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. I was trying to get something I can print out and take to the dealer. These images print way too small, but the TSB number should help.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you, Tom!

Low: I thought this coverage was only if the metal was perforated, not if the paint just strips off. Am I mistaken?

LOWRANGO said:
corrosion coverage is 12 years, unlimited milesfor a4 body vehicles

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
the rust "warranty" covers perforation only . . .it's essentially meaningless.

LOWRANGO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Auto
the claim type listed in the waranty box of bulletin shows a claim type of "corrosion" . if the bulletin only applied to basic warranty cars it would show "w2" not "wc".

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I took my car to a local dealer (Amesbury VW) where the service manager examined the damage and the fender. He was extremely nice and helpful about it. He called today and wants me to come in again so he can get a repair estimate and take digital photos to send to his field operations manager. He said he doesn't see any reason the repair would not be approved because the damage looks identical to the photo in the TSB. He said he's looking to replace the fender. I'm still unsure what, if anything, I'll need to contribute, but so far I'm encouraged.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I took my car to the dealer this morning so they could take it to a local body shop they work with. I was told VW is paying the entire bill. To be continued...

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Success! Amesbury Volkswagen came through for me in spades. They said my new fender would be installed and the car ready this morning, and it was. The work was done by a local body shop. The new fender looks and feels great. Amazing what can happen sometimes when you pursue an issue with VW.

kirkdiefrost

TDI
Damn Dealer

I am not the original owner of the vehicle and my fenders were previously painted perhaps due to clueless previous owner, so I went to dealership because both of my fenders rusted through, but unfortunately the manager at the dealership said that cant do anything about it, due to the fenders being previously painted. Should I contact the VW directly to solve the problem or my case is pretty much lost and I have to cover the expanses myself?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would certainly contact VW and try to get some assistance. If the metal has holes in it from rust, you're probably covered by the otherwise meaningless corrosion warranty. Why would you need to mention the previous owner's paint job?

kirkdiefrost

TDI
Mass. Wine Guy said:
I would certainly contact VW and try to get some assistance. If the metal has holes in it from rust, you're probably covered by the otherwise meaningless corrosion warranty. Why would you need to mention the previous owner's paint job?
I haven't mentioned it being painted before, they figured it on their own, since the paint job wasnt done that well. I contacted VW and they told me to stop by a few different dealerships to get different opinions on the issue and who knows maybe on of the dealers would be able to help me out with it (which I find to be a fairly messed up of dealing with the issue), but i most certainly give it a try...worth after all

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Phone VW Canada (or email them from their site) and open a case. Explain how the metal has corroded and you believe this is covered under warranty. It depends on the mileage on the car. If nothing good happens, it's not a second mortgage to replace both fenders.

kirkdiefrost

TDI
Mass. Wine Guy said:
Phone VW Canada (or email them from their site) and open a case. Explain how the metal has corroded and you believe this is covered under warranty. It depends on the mileage on the car. If nothing good happens, it's not a second mortgage to replace both fenders.
That is going to be my next step after I try a few dealerships, according to the VW Rep the warranty against corrosion is 12 year no mtter the mileage, so they better be fixing me up. i wouldnt be surprised if they already fixed it before on my car and just did a lame ass painting job instead of replacing them and adressing the rust issue a bit more seriously.

kirkdiefrost

TDI
Mass. Wine Guy said:
Forget the dealers. Just write to VW Canada at the link here:

http://www.vw.ca/vwca/VwSFB/caFeedback/0,2338,40,00.html
Thank you for all your help amigo I really appreciate it, I contacted the VW canada directky see what would be the resolution of my problem. So far Dealers were very incompitent making me rethink whether I would ever want to have a DUB again...grrrrr

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, dealers are notorious. That's why I'm eagerly awaiting Honda's diesel car. If it's fun and zippy, I'm there.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Today I brought the TSB with me to the dealer and within 15 minutes they were writing up the W/O to do the work. All covered and parts are being ordered.
Another reason I love this club.

craigflyer

TDI
02 Jetta
Also recently had this TSB carried out on my 02. 100 000+ km, I'm the second owner. Complete replacement of both fenders by the dealer.

Any dragging of heels from the dealer go straight to VW Canada and things go much more smoothly.