Repair wire

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Can someone help me with the part number for a thick repair wire?

I need the wire size for the AC compressor clutch wiring. My current repair wires are thin and one finally broke. I want to replace it with something beefier but it's hard to tell wire gauge from the part numbers.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They list the size in ETKA right next to the part numbers, in mm. '0,5', '1,5', etc.

What is the part number of the connector shell itself?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
They list the size in ETKA right next to the part numbers, in mm. '0,5', '1,5', etc.

What is the part number of the connector shell itself?
I see lots of wires on ebay and I want to order one of them.

I don't have ETKA. I don't know the part number of the connector and it's flash flood raining here at the moment to go check it.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, I understand about the rain, LOL.

When you can get a part number, I can better tell you which sizes. Although you may just consider replacing that whole harness, as it is VERY common on higher mileage stuff that they get a bad connection or broken wire at the big connector atop the starter.

I keep an assortment of repair wires here, though, so I could probably tell you exactly what you need if you want to piece it together. I do not have a car that old here today to check the connector number. I will tomorrow.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
OK, I understand about the rain, LOL.

When you can get a part number, I can better tell you which sizes. Although you may just consider replacing that whole harness, as it is VERY common on higher mileage stuff that they get a bad connection or broken wire at the big connector atop the starter.

I keep an assortment of repair wires here, though, so I could probably tell you exactly what you need if you want to piece it together. I do not have a car that old here today to check the connector number. I will tomorrow.

Yeah. i got one wire broken on that side of the harness. I don't know what it goes to and it's been broken for about a year i guess. Do you have the harness part number?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
ALH alternator/compressor harness is:
1J0-971-349-FQ
:)

Thank you for that. Can you tell me what the repair wire i should use based on the connector part number? I've replaced the main alternator cable a few years ago and it's really in great shape. I suppose I could go cheap and run a bridge wire for the broken wire on the harness.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
So I believe the repair wire you will want is 000-979-133-E which is 1,0 mm.

Each one of those has two ends, so you will only need one to attach to your housing, then each end is spliced into the existing wires. Use the heat shrink red butt connectors. I can get the part number for those but we just get them through a local electrical supplier.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So I believe the repair wire you will want is 000-979-133-E which is 1,0 mm.
Each one of those has two ends, so you will only need one to attach to your housing, then each end is spliced into the existing wires. Use the heat shrink red butt connectors. I can get the part number for those but we just get them through a local electrical supplier.

Right on. I fixed it with a repair before but i didn't have the correct wire size in my stash and just.. what do the young kids say... "sent it".

Thanks for the help.