repair shops in Toledo, OH?

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
My alternator needs some help. Jetaah says that the job can be trusted to a non TDI-guru (he's a 1.5 hr drive away) locally. Anyone here have any experience with shops in the Toledo area? Unfortunately... I only know where NOT to take my car!

Thanks!
-Stephanie

P.S. Sorry for cross-post, but the midwest forum doesn't get as much traffic!

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Battery light intermittently flashes on (then off).

Took car to Autozone to see if it was the battery. No such luck. Supposedly, the alternator is only pumping out 25amps instead of the 100-120amps that it should be. There's also a strange whirring noise, which Jetaah thought might be from the regulator.

But... it needs fixing before it either won't start or the cold weather hits and the glow plugs need to kick in!

-Stephanie
-Stephanie

bear's TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Passat GL, (2) 2010 JSW
It's not Toledo but about 40 miles away - Little German Village, Ridgeville Corners OH. (On U.S. 6) Mark Harrington is owner / mechanic. I've used his services for many years and with 4 VW diesels. Phone 419-267-5255. He's honest, reliable and careful.

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
Hi Steph...

I'm sure that you have read this post by Drivbiwire, if not, it's worth your time... The pic links don't work for me for some reason but the text is most excellent...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=32867&highlight=battery

I have found that I need to put a charger on mine every so often. Especially if it sits for more than a couple of days without being started. It definitely helps the battery... I have a small 10A automatic charger that has a cigarette plug. I plug it into the power outlet in the truck and leave it there over night, then unplug the charger in the morning.

As for local shops, I do all of my own repairs so I can't comment on who would be a good choice... Sounds like a phone call to "bear's TDI" recommendation might be in order...

Keep me posted as I'm curious as to what the probelm might be as well as the solution...

Update: Here's a link with pics...
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/BatteryMaintainence.pdf

Last edited: