Renting a TDI

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Does anyone know of any companies (or,perhaps,dealerships) that rent Jetta TDIs? I've come up dry searching in the US.I'm looking for New England...CT,MA,RI.

TIA!

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
Miss-fueling them runs somewhere up to $11,000. I highly doubt *anyone* rents them. Hell, I would not let anyone outside my immediate family borrow it!

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Become a New York City TAXI driver and you can drive one. I saw few TDI clean diesel in New York city with yellow paint :eek:

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Turbine Suburban said:
Miss-fueling them runs somewhere up to $11,000. I highly doubt *anyone* rents them. Hell, I would not let anyone outside my immediate family borrow it!
That never occurred to me.You're correct.It's funny,however,that my search showed evidence that diesels can be rented in Europe...but then,diesels are far more familiar to Europeans than they are to us.

And is it *really* $11K? Even if you don't start the car after having made the error? :eek:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H
Is the Hawaiian island of Maui part of the U.S.? There are rentals there.
Granted it isn't New England, but then Connecticut isn't either.

Last edited:

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
dariod said:
Become a New York City TAXI driver and you can drive one. I saw few TDI clean diesel in New York city with yellow paint :eek:
Hmmm...interesting.I get to Manhattan on a semi-regular basis and while I almost never take cabs (the subway being so much fun :D ) I've seen plenty of hybrids but never a diesel.I guess I need to pay closer attention!

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Lug_Nut said:
Is the Hawaiian island of Maui part of the U.S.? There are rentals there.
Granted it isn't New England, but then Connecticut isn't either.
No,it's not New England.Our palm trees are far more tropical...and elegant...than theirs.And as for my typing....the Army taught me to type many years ago.Need I say more? ;)

It's interesting,to me,that one can rent them anywhere in this country.As previously mentioned,the risk of mis-fueling would be high and the consequences would be enormous.

liQuid03x

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi 300,000+kms
listerone said:
That never occurred to me.You're correct.It's funny,however,that my search showed evidence that diesels can be rented in Europe...but then,diesels are far more familiar to Europeans than they are to us.

And is it *really* $11K? Even if you don't start the car after having made the error? :eek:
It only cost me about 1000$ when someone who borrowed my car and put some gas in it. Correction: it cost THEM 1000$. The fuel pump went, that's it. Found a good fuel pump at a local junkyard for 250$ (bargain!). Works fine since then (2 years ago). I don't see how it could cost 11,000$?

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
listerone said:
Hmmm...interesting.I get to Manhattan on a semi-regular basis and while I almost never take cabs (the subway being so much fun :D ) I've seen plenty of hybrids but never a diesel.I guess I need to pay closer attention!
I was in New York last week and in 3 days walking around Manhattan I saw like 4 TDI and I think they are 09-10 models because on the gas cap it says "clean diesel" now think about thru how much beating do those TDI go thru. I would buy one of those beaters later but they are yellow.:eek:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
listerone said:
<SNIP>

If you haven't started it, you just drain the tank and refill with D2. If you somehow manage to drive it until the engine is destroyed, it is a different matter. I have never heard of this happening.... YET.

EDIT> Reading the post above mine, I see we have a 'winner'. <EDIT

Bill

Harden

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, Black, 6-Speed Manual
I hardly ever let anyone drive any of my vehicals, especially my TDI. Of the 8 cars/trucks I've owned over the years, While I was the owner, excluding my wife, there have only been 6 other people to drive any of them. Breaking that down further, each of them only drove one of my cars, 2 of the cars, had only myself as the driver the whole time I had them.

With my TDI, I think I remember someone else making this same comment too: I'd probabilly let a TDIClub member drive my TDI before any other friends/family. My Wife hasent even driven it yet.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H
listerone said:
It's interesting to me, that one can rent them anywhere in this country.As previously mentioned,the risk of mis-fueling would be high and the consequences would be enormous.
I believe the rentals all have locking fuel caps and the keys are not provided. :D
It's necessary to return to the rental / biodiesel location to have THEM fill it for you.
Hey, it's on a island, it isn't that far back to the start point.