Renewable (not Bio) fuel showing up in WA state?

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
Hey folks,

A week back I filled up my '04 Jetta at the usual Costco station, and I can't exactly put my finger on it; something's changed.

It's been probably a month since the last fill-up, since this car doesn't get as much driving as it used to. Also it's the first tank of winter blend.

Right away, I noticed cold starts, even to near freezing, are instant and almost smoke free. In the past, 40s and below and the engine bumps around a few seconds, emits a small cloud, even as recent as the days before this fillup...! I thought it was the winter blend improvements, but I've been thru 18 years winter/summer cycles and this is new. Also, high RPM WOT runs are almost smoke-free, even with the KermaTDI chip. I'll usually see a little to a lot, depending on the engine's mood :)

Being aware of the new renewable diesel available today, like Neste, I'm wondering if Costco is now selling it. Google searches say they do at their stations in CA and OR....heck, it's been refined here for years at our nearby Anacortes Refinery, but they ship it out of state (why???) Maybe with the diesel fuel shortages, they're shifting stock around to keep the prices lower?

Anyone else buy their fuel at Costco, in WA? I think you'd only notice in a 2004 or older non-CR--I don't notice anything in the Audi.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Supply and local governments. However, the ratio of renewable to reg #2/#1 is paltry. There won’t be enough capacity for many, many, many years to come to even service half to complete states.

What Costco? I’ve been to the Bellingham and Vancouver locals.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
I've only tried Lynnwood Costco so far, but Woodinville and Silverdale also carry it. $4.79 yesterday (from $5.50 ~3 weeks ago)