Renewable Energy Group Launches REG Ultra Clean™ Diesel

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
LONG BEACH, Calif. - May 1, 2018 - Renewable Energy Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: REGI) launched the company’s latest innovation in diesel fuel, REG Ultra Clean™ Diesel, at the Advanced Clean Transportation (ACT) Expo in Long Beach, California, today.

REG Ultra Clean Diesel, among the lowest emission diesel fuels on the market today, is a patent-pending fuel made of a proprietary blend of renewable diesel and biodiesel. REG Ultra Clean Diesel is California Air Resources Board (CARB) approved for year-round use throughout California under the Alternative Diesel Fuel Regulation. Versus CARB diesel, REG Ultra Clean Diesel reduces total hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide emissions by 15 percent, particulate matter emissions by 40 percent, and, emits less nitrogen oxides (NOx). The fuel offers even greater emissions reductions when compared to conventional diesel....
(bold emphasis added)

http://regi.com/news/2018/05/02/renewable-energy-group-launches-reg-ultra-clean-diesel

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
...is a patent-pending fuel made of a proprietary blend of renewable diesel and biodiesel
This is kind of a funny statement. Whether 80-20, 41.4324-58.5676, as if there is a specific, special, magical and miraculous blend that makes Diesel engine exhaust come out as unicorn farts lol. I fantasized about "magic formulas" when I was about 6 years old and proceeded to mix anything I could find around the house together. Thankfully nothing that ended up poisoning me or burning the house down. :D

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I don’t get it. What is renewable diesel, other than biodiesel?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Propel hpr is renewable diesel. The same feedstocks used to make FAME biodiesel can be used to make it, plus things like slaughterhouse waste. It's refined through a distillation process, much like petroleum fuels. It also has chemical properties almost identical to petroleum diesel.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
And because it's chemically almost identical to petroleum diesel, it works just fine in the newest cars with common rail injection, DPF, and other modern emission controls. Which bio-diesel has problems with. :)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Biodiesel is from transesterification of fatty acids. Renewable Diesel could come from other biomass that undergoes a thermal process in an atmosphere largely void of oxygen like pyrolysis that generates liquid hydrocarbons that can be upgraded or converted to Diesel-like fuels, or gasification that generates syngas that undergoes the Fisher-Tropsch process into similar Diesel-like fuels (BTL).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I guess it's more of a hydrotreating/hydrocracking process. One cool advantage over traditional biodiesel besides the wider range of feedstocks is the glycerine is converted to propane rather than being a waste product.