Removing axles - Grease on inner joint-to-transmission

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hey guys, I've removed both my axles off my car to do the outer boots on them and noticed that the inner joint part of the axle (that bolts to the transmission) has grease on it.

As it took me a bit to remove the axles, some debris got onto the innner part grease on the axle.

Is there any grease I should use when re-installing the axles for the inner part that matches onto the transmission?

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
The inner CV joints definitely need to be greased. Some high-quality molybdenum disuplhide (aka Moly) grease should do the trick.

Edit to add: also keep in mind that the inner CV joints have paper gaskets where they meet the transmission. If those gaskets were damaged, they will need to be replaced. Also, a trick for re-assembly: use some contact adhesive to stick the gasket to the CV axle. Then you won't need to fuss with the gasket while you're trying to re-install the CV axle.

Last edited:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
The inner CV joints definitely need to be greased. Some high-quality molybdenum disuplhide (aka Moly) grease should do the trick.

Edit to add: also keep in mind that the inner CV joints have paper gaskets where they meet the transmission. If those gaskets were damaged, they will need to be replaced. Also, a trick for re-assembly: use some contact adhesive to stick the gasket to the CV axle. Then you won't need to fuss with the gasket while you're trying to re-install the CV axle.

Thank you.

I'm not opening up the inner joint, I just want to clean up the surface a bit and add grease.

I just purchased LM 47 Long-Life Grease + MoS2 - Liqui Moly so hopefully that should be fine.