Removed/Reinstalled Instrument Cluster - Now Immobilizer Will Not Let Car Start

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Maybe when you remove cluster ,you pill little hard harness and pull wires from key reader. They where in but not all the way. Because that wires from key reader goes in cluster harness.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Tonight I reinstalled the instrument cluster, trim around the steering column, the steering wheel, and airbag. The immobilizer still recognizes my two key fob chips and the car is running. I still have no idea why it suddenly decided to run again after all the trouble I had for 3 nights. It's a mystery. I just hope it keeps working.

Tomorrow night I'll put it on the VCDS and clear all those codes the car generated this past weekend. Before this issue, the only regular code that was generated had to do with one of the stereo speakers, which I'm ignoring.

I have a Vag-Tacho coming in the mail, and now I don't really need it. Oh well, it'll be interesting to see what it does.

I want to thank you all for your help, suggestions, and telling me to calm my jets when I got irate. Our TDI community is great! I won't soon forget the problems I had, that's for sure.

virgilutz

TDI
ALH
hi all!
I encountered the same Immo problem. It started from nowhere - no IC uninstall nor work under the steering wheel, nor "special" key handling.
In the beginning, the behavior was random, but then it aggravated and became frustrating to leave my car in the parking spot at a supermarket or other place like this (with all shopping done).
I finally got my car to the dealer and got the keys re-matched and then no problem for 2 weeks - after that dead again.
I unmounted the IC and re-soldered all pins on the PCB (from the green and blue connectors) - it worked for a few months, now... It carried me through the winter, but 3 weeks ago the problems re-appeared.

I continuously have the same problem:
Address 17: Instruments
Control Module Part Number: 1J5 920 806 G
Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V11
Software Coding: 01112
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
Additional Info: WVWZZZ1JZ3W561209
1 Fault Found

01176 - Key

07-00 - Signal too Low

From what you guys said here... the problem is only wiring related, right? 'cuz I'm determined to even change the IC, even it's expensive.
I was also thinking to see if I can change the pick-up coil to see if this piece is the problem.

I'll try to re-wiggle the connector, maybe clean them with some abrasive thing and see how it goes.

@rocketeer928 did you have any problems since you reinstalled the IC?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry about the problems you are experiencing. It's certainly frustrating, I'm sure.

Since I got my instrument cluster to work, I have not had a problem (yet).

Sarahkayjasper900

TDI
2007 vw passat
Immobilizer active

My battery is dead got a new key and I put it in web battery is charged and lites come on and radio does too but car will not start says immobilized active ....2007 vw passat 2.0 silver please someone help me fix my car.
It got stolen 2-2-18 got it back had get new key i dont think my lite comes on when i push my key in to start car. N we're i pop my hood there was never a handle to pull to pop hood always had pip siding off get pliers pull the wire to pop the hood looked other day n looked like there was brown wires down there I never seen before tied to the side down there n the wires I pulled for the hood was cut r pushed way up in the starting dash r something someone please tell me what I need do dealership wants me tow car to them $165 n prohram new key $200

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Hard to read. Won't the insurance cover this?

dbhyslop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
This is an old thread, but an FYI for anyone who finds it in a search for similar symptoms:

I had the same problem today with the same codes on my 2002 after installing an aftermarket radio. The problem was a loose connector on the cluster, reseating it solved the problem. I had removed the cluster to run a wire to the steering column for the hands-free microphone and it didn’t click fully in place when I put it back together.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
This is an old thread, but an FYI for anyone who finds it in a search for similar symptoms:

I had the same problem today with the same codes on my 2002 after installing an aftermarket radio. The problem was a loose connector on the cluster, reseating it solved the problem. I had removed the cluster to run a wire to the steering column for the hands-free microphone and it didn’t click fully in place when I put it back together.
I have seen this a lot , Specially Green connector is not plug all way in. I had 3 cars towed to me because of this problem.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I just re-read this thread. My TDI is still running great, and I hope that I never, ever need to take the steering wheel or instrument cluster off.