Remove V-belt - 97 passat TDI wagon

CrossCountryJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi again all,

I pulled the serpentine belt but wondering what's the best way to get the v-belt off? Assuming it's not possible from the top side? Currently parked outside and I can't get underneath to work on it. I'm trying to test to see if the A/C compressor is seized because the condenser broke open letting the Freon out and that circuit has been open to the elements over winter for about 8 months. Motor is struggling to turn so want to get the power steering and A/C pulleys out of the picture.

Any tricks? (Without cutting lol) If not I guess I'll tow it to a shop with a lift to get access.

Thanks again in advance.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Remove the power steering pump pulley, 3 allen bolts. Or you could loosen the power steering pump, but honestly it's a bigger pain to find the bolts to loosen.

Are you trying to turn the engine by hand, or is the starter struggling?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If the compressor is fried you won't be able to spin the center clutch mechanism of the compressor. It should not be hard to spin by hand and you don't need to remove the belt. You should be able to spin it with a couple fingers. Don't spin the outer pulley, that should turn freely anyway.

If it won't move at all you know that the compressor innards are fried.

Steve

CrossCountryJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks all and good point Garcia.

Steve that's also a good point forgot these would be clutched like the Mk4's. So really even if the A/C was seized it shouldn't hinder the engine from turning over anyway as the clutch wouldn't be engaged and the pulley would spin freely.

So either the water pump or PS pump are seized or the starter is bad (but it does engage and turn the engine a bit doesn't completely turn over. Or worse the engine is seized but it drove fine when I parked it, would be surprised if that was suddenly the case.

Electrical seems okay, thing are engaging, can check codes with Hex-Can, did a voltage test while jumping and trying to start it and it didn't get below 11V so seems like there's sufficient power.

Annoying, I'll probably have to tow it to get it lifted so I can get into the underside and test all those bits or try bump start it I guess.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Checking the serpentine belt rollers is a 5-minute job with a pry bar on the tensioner to relieve belt tension. You don't need to take it all the way off. That would rule out something in the Serp belt circuit causing the lockup.

CrossCountryJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta
Checking the serpentine belt rollers is a 5-minute job with a pry bar on the tensioner to relieve belt tension. You don't need to take it all the way off. That would rule out something in the Serp belt circuit causing the lockup.
Thanks I did already slip off the serp this morn, that's why I was asking about the v-belt, figured I'd try that too

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
All you need is a 13mm wrench to loosen the power steering pump housing, then a 22mm (or adjustable) to move the cradle so the belt will loosen. I like to loosen the 16mm cradle hinge bolt as well so it doesn’t unnecessarily torque it.

I usually just do it on the ground since there is plenty of room.

CrossCountryJetta

TDI
2001 Jetta
If I wanted to turn the engine by hand would I be able to do that from the top with the V-belt on? Would the Water pump and PS spin freely? I don't have an easy way to lift it where it sits and I'd like to make sure the engine is good before I get a tow so I know if it's a fix I can take on myself or not :)

Thanks Abacus, now I know what to do if I have to bring a jack and stands to try this out. Nice skid plate btw.

Also, does anyone know what size hex bolts the bolts are for the PS Pump Pulley to loosen that if the bolts on the PS are too seized and rusty for me to loosen (no access to heat).

Last edited: