Removal of the filler tube insert

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Is there a write-up of how to remove this? This is the part that only allows car diesel nozzles to be inserted. I have a '14 Golf TDI and filling it up is a pain compared to my old TDIs.

Thanks,

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I locked mine out. As I fill from my own bulk tanks I don't buy all the new nozzles. if you reach in with the index finger of each hand you put out on the black tabs. then you can push the guard towards the ground. once moved down, I pushed a #10x1" screw in to hold it there. If I ever have to take it to the dealer pulling the screw will be a breeze.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Murphy. What advantage does this give while filling up?

I am looking for a method to remove the filler neck piece. This is the piece that allows only diesel nozzles to be inserted. I'm sure this not a one piece filler tube all the way to the tank--or is it.? I always fill my tank until I see liquid at the neck but this makes it a lot time consuming.

I was hoping that maybe the tube was designed to attach the diesel end piece or a gasoline end piece--depending on application.

When I get the time, I'll remove the fuel door, wheel, and wheel liner to look at the configuration of the filler tube. I was thinking this may have already been done by someone here;).

Thanks for your help.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Putting the screw in there makes it so the metal flap is "unlocked" you can push in ANY nozzle that is not to big. Anything from a garden hose to the current diesel nozzle. You still can not use the high flow truck pumps. but at-least you don't have to worry about not being able to put it in. The Nozzle on my bulk tank is an old gas one, so its small and the car didn't like it. Fixed it after the first fill up.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
My dealer removed mine for me. I said that it won't allow filling up at some stations.

Donald

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Thanks for this thread, and for #4 response linking to other thread.
I found this yesterday... read it... went out to garage and removed the trap door device from my very recent JSW TDI 6M. Car has barely 400 miles on it. Today, I went to fuel the car up for the very first time. Wouldn't you know... the one automobile type diesel pump (15/16 inch) at the local Sunoco station wasn't working, so I had to use the big rig pump. I was able to do it, though the big pump doesn't go in all the way so I had to pump at wayyy reduced flow. But... if I hadn't removed the trap door device at all, I would have had to go to another station for fuel.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for this thread, and for #4 response linking to other thread.
I found this yesterday... read it... went out to garage and removed the trap door device from my very recent JSW TDI 6M. Car has barely 400 miles on it. Today, I went to fuel the car up for the very first time. Wouldn't you know... the one automobile type diesel pump (15/16 inch) at the local Sunoco station wasn't working, so I had to use the big rig pump. I was able to do it, though the big pump doesn't go in all the way so I had to pump at wayyy reduced flow. But... if I hadn't removed the trap door device at all, I would have had to go to another station for fuel.
I haven't done this yet but thought that by doing it, I would be left with the same filler tube opening that my '01 Jetta TDI had. Is that not correct or is it just that the semi nozzles are that much bigger. I had TDIs since '00 and have never had to use the truck pumps--I guess I'm lucky:)

Thanks,

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
jettajim- your understanding is correct; even with the the trap door device removed on the new 2014 JSW TDI, the opening is a bit smaller and won't allow full insertion of a big rig diesel pump. The older TDIs like your 2001 and my 2002, have larger openings that will allow insertion of the big rig pump.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
[edit...] Elaborating on my reply #10 just a bit... once the trap door device is removed, the opening diameter is large enough that a big rig diesel pump can be inserted, but the depth of the opening is not enough to allow the big rig pump to be inserted all the way. The older model TDIs (2002 etc.) have a large opening that is deep also, allows the big rig pump to be inserted fully. But... my experience in the few times I have used big rig pumps on my old 2002 jetta anyway.... the big rig pumps have such a huge flow rate, I don't think I have used "full bore" flow in that situation anyway.

I want to share another angle....

Quick back story- My brother bought a new 2014 Passat TDI 6M in June. I was sufficiently smitten with the car and deal / dealership he got, that I went and bought my 2014 JSW TDI 6M in July. Now discussing the fuel filler trap door (same in the Passat and Jetta...), (see my reply #8 above...), my own attitude was to get the trap door thingy out of there. My brother's attitude (his first diesel, having driven gassers all his life) was that he's going to keep his trap door in his Passat, to avoid the possible mistake of putting gasoline in it, which he fears he could do out of habit. So.... this past weekend he took first road trip in the new Passat. Wouldn't you know it... he ended up at a fuel station in Avon, Ohio... pulled up to the automotive diesel pump, went to put diesel fuel in his Passat... discovered the nozzle they were using on their automotive DIESEL pump is a 13/16 gasoline one, same as for the gassers... so the nozzle didn't want to go in to his Passat diesel filler neck. He said he fudged with it for a bit and got the trap door to open for the gas nozzle anyway (a separate ugh, maybe...). So he was ultimately able to refuel his car, but spent a few minutes with beads of perspiration on his forehead. He tells me his trap door filler neck unit will be coming out very soon. The scenario he ran into... is one I hadn't even thought of!

Re "Corsair"... Also one of my favorites. I was acquainted with several members of the original WWII Marine Fighter Squadron VMF-214 "Black Sheep". They flew the Corsair in combat. I had a book published with one of them back in 2005. Many fond memories.

Last edited: