remote issue

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I replaced the battery but remote is dead or at least something's amiss. need help pinpointing if remote is bad or the module it communicates with is.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The module it communicates with is the comfort control module... Under the drivers side footboard. See if you can access via vag-com. Hopefully it's not had the common water intrusion issue... I just replaced mine for that.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I will look into that module but still don't know what to look for. Will check it out and report findings. Would be nice to have the remote functional. This is the first A4 B4, B5.5 I've had any remote issues with.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I will look into that module but still don't know what to look for. Will check it out and report findings. Would be nice to have the remote functional. This is the first A4 B4, B5.5 I've had any remote issues with.
Start with connecting to the convenience control module in vcds. Make sure your remote is programmed in there too.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question.. Does the remote LED light go on when you press a button?
yes, I put a new battery in it. Today I couldn't get the obd2 connection to vcds. Also noticed the interior lights stopped working at the same time. Maybe a ground somewhere? Car starts and runs fine and all the dash is illuminated but getting the 'no response from controller' prompt now for everything and the light on the cable is not turning green. wiggled it but no help. I connected to another car and everything worked so it is something on the car. I removed, checked and cleaned fuses 5, 12, 14, 31, 38 and all are functional. There is a major bad connection somewhere. Could the convenience module cause all this?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a ground splice in the harness that runs down under the driver's seat area. It can cause all sorts of problems.

Neglected cowl drains allow water to get in either side of the floorboards. Keep the drains clear, and none of this ever happens.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Uh oh! That's what happened with mine, though it would connect to the car, but not the convenience module. Here's what the wires looked like. My interior lights didn't work, and neither did my sun roof and the locks didn't work right. I had codes in some of the other modules for the comfort control system can being in the one wire mode, because one of the comfort can wires were corroded off.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I try to lock the doors manually, they lock when you twist the key and immediately unlock when you release it. Windows don't operate by key in the door either. They should roll up and down when you hold the key in the lock and unlock position. I guess it's time to pull the seat and work on the convenience module and all the wring connections in the floorboard area. Should be some indicators if moisture has intruded. Fortunately I have a known working convenience module to try. Sunroof won't work either so I can't even flush the drains. This tdi wagon is a manual conversion I recently bought so I don't have to worry about the tcm.

I'll check that ground strap too Oilhammer.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
When I try to lock the doors manually, they lock when you twist the key and immediately unlock when you release it. Windows don't operate by key in the door either. They should roll up and down when you hold the key in the lock and unlock position. I guess it's time to pull the seat and work on the convenience module and all the wring connections in the floorboard area. Fortunately I have a known working one to try.
You actually don't have to pull the seat. If you pull the trim in the drivers side front, you'll have to pull the foot rest, and the kick panel, and then pull the side trim up then you can pull the carpet up and you'll see a plastic box down there. Push it forward to release the latches holding it down and then pull it out that's where the convenience module is. I had to get a new module and pigtails... That was fun [emoji53]

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bet replacing the pigtails was fun. Did you get the pigtail back to the harness connection or did you have to splice? yours looked really bad. Must have had standing water for awhile

Mozambiquer

TDI
I bet replacing the pigtails was fun. Did you get the pigtail back to the harness connection or did you have to splice? yours looked really bad. Must have had standing water for awhile
I had to splice. I know that getting the whole harness would have been best, but that would have been a lot more involved. I used waterproof connectors though.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pulled the carpet up this morning and sure enough it is a photocopy of yours. I do have a donor 2004 1.8t wagon and also a 2005 tdi sedan. probably should get the connectors and the cm out of the wagon since this one I'm fixing is a 2004 tdi manual wagon. 50 wires to splice-ugh. Do you think I should attempt to get the harness out of the 1.8t wagon or too much work? I'm thinking about at least untapping it and see where it connects. I bet it terminates on the fuse and relay panels and ecu. I would love to see a wiring diagram to the cm. It should show the connectors on both ends. I have the vw shop manual for A4's but no B5.5.

You can see where the water comes in-the rubber grommet on the harness. Why would vw use a nice sealed case on these modules and not even a dab of silicone where it needs it. Also they should not be in the floor. Sunroof drains, windows left down......

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
It's good that you have a whole donor car! I had to wait for shipping from Canada to get mine [emoji53] I'm not sure where the other end of the wiring harness terminates, but it would be up to you whether you want to splice, or swap out the harness.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like a mess up under the dash so I'll most likely splice using a 2ft long piece of donor harness so I can make the splices away from the floor and staggered.What a PIA

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the donor tdi sedan cm has 17 and 9 wires on the connectors. The wagon I'm fixing has 18 and 10. Probably more on the wagon because of the rear wiper I'm guessing. Luckily I have a 1.8t donor wagon.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I know that I heard you have to get the one for the wagon if you have a wagon. Didn't know why though.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know that I heard you have to get the one for the wagon if you have a wagon. Didn't know why though.

Yeah, most likely the rear window wiper like I said. Electronics should be identical other than that.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
We got two fobs with the Passat

One quit working. The other is fine. Sometimes those things die. Cross test

Agree on the cowl issue, ours got enough water to mess with wiring but affected the trany. Got it cleaned up and dried out, good repair place.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The new module and pigtails worked wonderfully. I did notice I have two brown with green stripe wires on one of the plugs, so I had to guess. Everything works but the rear hatch release. Can anyone tell me why I have the two brown w green stripe wires going into separate pins on the one plug? Same on the donor wagon wires. I put them under a powerful magnifying glass and can't see any difference. Should I switch them from my guess and see if that makes the hatch release work?

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
The new module and pigtails worked wonderfully. I did notice I have two brown with green stripe wires on one of the plugs, so I had to guess. Everything works but the rear hatch release. Can anyone tell me why I have the two brown w green stripe wires going into separate pins on the one plug? Same on the donor wagon wires. I put them under a powerful magnifying glass and can't see any difference. Should I switch them from my guess and see if that makes the hatch release work?
Those are can wires. I don't think that will make the hatch release work if you switch them, though I'm not sure, since I had the exact same problem and my hatch release still doesn't work. I need to dig in and figure that out.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did switch them to no avail. When I attempt to open the rear lid with the remote, I get 2 quick flashes from the signal lights. All other remote functions are working properly. The key in the driver door functions properly for locking and unlocking. I'm gonna do a vcds scan in the morning to see if I can pinpoint this annoying problem. I thought there was a lockout on the door but not. My 2005 sedan has a key lockout by the controls but this 2004 variant does not. The lockout on my 2005 sedan only locks the switch in the door-the remote is still functional. Hopefully there's a relay or fuse somewhere but I haven't been able to spot it. Hopefully the scan will shed light on this but right now it's looking like a faulty release mechanism in the hatch. if so, thank God for donor cars. bet that's a high price item. Will remove it from the donor tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
I just found out that my remote will unlock it just not the switch in the door...

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like yours is a door switch problem. I'm dead in the water with door switch and remote. I did a scan and got some communication faults in the passenger rear door. nothing on that door is responding to the remote. Sounds like a harness connection into that door. Hopefully that has some influence on the tailgate actuator as my actuator tested fine when I removed the trim, disconnected it and put the voltage to it.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I finally got my variant hatch to open. Nothing seemed to work so I cycled the lock/unlock key in door and noticed the windows would only fully open after repeated twists of the key. I repeated the full lock/unlock cycle about 10 times and on the 10th try to lock, the horn beeped once which I'm used to all my B5.5's doing when everything is functioning properly. Lo and behold, the hatch remote unlock also started working. I think there is a learning cycle when things have been changed (like my new convenience module) which can only be performed with multiple key in door full cycling. I guess the various modules need a little practice to talk to each other correctly. I may be nuts but it worked. Hope that can help someone out there!

Last edited:

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
I replaced the battery but remote is dead or at least something's amiss. need help pinpointing if remote is bad or the module it communicates with is.
50 HARLEY...SORRY for late reply, i have a similar issue.....Ground Wire Oil Hammer Mentions I " think" he means a ground terminal ( big single strand) which heads towards the front of the car to 1 point where it bolts to the floor (i'd say almost in front of the break pedal but it bolts to the floor).

My CCM looks new.....I see no water damage on my Comfort Control Module...No popped solder joints like on our AC Relay which failed on many of these cars with the same popped solder joint. .I see no bad fuses....batter in key fob is good.....i see no bad wires around the CCM Box...I followed the harness from the Box to that cluster just in front of the door or where your left foot would rest when driving. I wonder if Oil Hammer is talking about a ground spice that head out from under the seat and heads towards the rear seat on the harness?????? Any clue?

So dunno where to start either. .....BUT......I if u don't like the price of a Comfort Control Module from dealer..i think north of $400...i got one on Ebay used.....$33...and I saw on Ebay....a new CCM out of China....I think $79....it has the same number code on the box. ( white print on black box cover) as my wagon......ahhh just changing the CCM Board or computer did nothing for me...i assume it needs to be programmed?

Hope the Ebay used or China new helps you or others in the same boat.

Blair