remaining miles or time before service

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I have the wrench icon showing up along with the miles countdown showing. what baffles me is I thought I just did an oil change only a few thousand miles ago. normally its close to 10k miles with my driving style which I take as normal interval between oil changes

does the service reminder look at anything other then the engine oil such as transmission fluid? timing belts or other services? from reading up on this it does appear to be triggered by a time or milage separate from oil changes.

now come my real question. is there anything with Vag Com that can read remaining miles or time, etc for what ever is triggering the service reminder? basically what is due?

at least on my Duramax it tells me remaining oil life, fuel filter life and maybe others but my TDI only shows a wrench

this is for my 06 in the signature

alpine4

TDI
2012 Audi A3
You have to service reset with a VCDS diagnostic tool. RossTech VCDS is what most of us use. You can go to the dealership and have them reset it for you as well.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes the dealer will charge you oh $70 -$100 to reset it and you just buy VCDS and take control of the diagnostics on your car. My wife's car is a 2013 Golf and just like you I had changed the oil and it came on. So in VCDS Hex-Com there is a reset SRI screen where you can reset them.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
maybe I wasn't clear. I have VCSD and can also reset it through the buttons on the dash. what I was hopping to find out is, does the service wrench only show for oil change or does it present for other services that become due? like transmission fluid? if so is there a way of finding out what is due and causing the service reminder message?

thanks

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Not specific to any particular service. I think the interval can be adjusted with VCDS.

Use the maintenance schedule for your car. With a 10k mile service interval, the service reminder isn't really needed anyway.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
maybe I wasn't clear. I have VCSD and can also reset it through the buttons on the dash. what I was hopping to find out is, does the service wrench only show for oil change or does it present for other services that become due? like transmission fluid? if so is there a way of finding out what is due and causing the service reminder message? thanks
A quick look at the Ross Tech threads associated with Service Reminder Intervals has some info that might be helpful. The drop down menus provide mileage or time associated with various SRIs, although NA cars don't have always have the sensors associated with these reminders, etc. If you check out these threads it may clarify how the SRIs work for your car.

SRI Reset Procedure

The following Tech Tip demonstrates the SRI Reset procedure on a 2006 Audi A3 (8P) chassis vehicle. Similar models include the 2006 and newer VW Jetta, Gti, Rabbit, Eos, Passat and Tiguan.

Special Notes
  1. Vehicles in the US and Canadian markets normally do not use Flexible or Extended service intervals. Vehicles in other markets generally have additional sensors, such as oil temp and oil quality sensors, which are used to calculate more advanced service strategies. Changing a vehicle from the standard Fixed Interval settings to the Flexible Intervals would have undesirable results if the additional sensors are not installed. VCDS will prompt you to check the Instrument cluster coding if you attempt to alter this.
  2. Some vehicles do not use service intervals at all. If VCDS reports that adaptation channels could not be read check the Instrument cluster coding to see if service intervals are applicable.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
A quick look at the Ross Tech threads associated with Service Reminder Intervals has some info that might be helpful. The drop down menus provide mileage or time associated with various SRIs, although NA cars don't have always have the sensors associated with these reminders, etc. If you check out these threads it may clarify how the SRIs work for your car.

SRI Reset Procedure

The following Tech Tip demonstrates the SRI Reset procedure on a 2006 Audi A3 (8P) chassis vehicle. Similar models include the 2006 and newer VW Jetta, Gti, Rabbit, Eos, Passat and Tiguan.

Special Notes
  1. Vehicles in the US and Canadian markets normally do not use Flexible or Extended service intervals. Vehicles in other markets generally have additional sensors, such as oil temp and oil quality sensors, which are used to calculate more advanced service strategies. Changing a vehicle from the standard Fixed Interval settings to the Flexible Intervals would have undesirable results if the additional sensors are not installed. VCDS will prompt you to check the Instrument cluster coding if you attempt to alter this.
  2. Some vehicles do not use service intervals at all. If VCDS reports that adaptation channels could not be read check the Instrument cluster coding to see if service intervals are applicable.
thanks, I did look at that and tried making adjustments but nothing would take other the the basic reset. also some of the fields weren't populated as ross tech said it should be. not sure what was going on. maybe it due to being a NA calibration as mentioned