Relay for trunk release

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I am trying to troubleshoot a semi-working trunk release on my 96 B4. It does some weird stuff when you press it, like lighting up the dash near the odometer, and IIRC the center brake light. I pulled the relay near the switch and it looks corroded. The one in there is made in Japan and I am wondering if it is the right part.
CB1F-M-12V H14 is what it is labelled? Anyone know if this is the right part?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
There’s a relay at the switch, for the trunk button…? I don’t recall seeing that.

-Todd

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
You might check the bunch of wires at the LH side trunk hinge. They fray and can cause a bunch of different issues related to the rear electrics.

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
That is on my list to do next. I think there may be a problem there. I just wanted to put a new relay in there to see if it changed anything. It looks corroded.
Yeah I didn't realize there was a relay in there either until I found it when I was looking at the wiring under there.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don’t recall seeing a relay under the rear console with armrest/lid, and I had the entire interior removed from my B4. The only relay I remember seeing was under the front portion with the pocket, but it’s related to the AC.

I Googled that relay number and it comes up as a Panasonic. Looks like a typical aftermarket relay.

Does this have crimped on connectors or the OE style connection block?

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does this car have an aftermarket alarm system? I’m wondering if someone added that relay to utilize an output channel for trunk release.

-Todd

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
It could be for an aftermarket alarm. I haven't seen any evidence of it anywhere, but I haven't really dug into the wiring underneath the dashboard.
Some of the symptoms that I am seeing are pretty wild, like I can hear the trunk release do something when brakes are pressed, pushing trunk release button brightens the green in instrument cluster around odometer. Also license plate lights go out when brakes are pressed, so there's some wires connecting that shouldn't be. I am going to start with where the wires travel to trunk lid.