Relay 109 - Main Power Supply Fuse

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Because jillybobs is referring to a RHD Golf, instead of saying "driver's-side", it might be better for clarification to say the fuses are on the left side. I suppose they might have moved them from left to right, so that they would still be under the steering wheel, but probably not.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Because jillybobs is referring to a RHD Golf, instead of saying "driver's-side", it might be better for clarification to say the fuses are on the left side. I suppose they might have moved them from left to right, so that they would still be under the steering wheel, but probably not.
I wasn't sure, so I posed the question of where they are, thinking that it would be a mirror of LHD. The power distribution would be best near the instrument cluster.

jillybobs

TDI
2000 Golf and 2004 Golf
OK guys, to be clear, when I sit in the driver's seat (Right hand drive) and open the door I can get to the fuse panel on the end of the dashboard (to my right). There are three screws along the lower edge of the panel in front of my legs. Am I right that if I take these three screws out I can get to this relay?

jillybobs

TDI
2000 Golf and 2004 Golf
Thanks guys, Just a thought. The mechanic who "hot wired" the relay to get my OH home said it was for the immobiliser. Is this included in the duties of the 109?
Thanks,

TDI-newbeetle

TDI
2015 Golf
regulator on alternator buzzing and drawing .5 amp load

On my 2006 Beetle TDI I have a constant buzzing coming from my alternator regulator. Key off and been siting for hours, it buzzes all the time drawing the new battery down after siting for a couple days. If I unplug the two wire connector to the regulator, the buzzing stops and my amp clamp shows the draw is gone. I could install a aftermarket generic relay to kill power to the regulator, but I would rather know and repair the real problem.
I wonder if the 106 relay is an issue on the 2006 TDI Beetle?
Has anybody had this issue? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Magni3d

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle 1.9L
So as an emergency road repair, you can jumper the fuse connector from fuse 12 to fuse 28 and bypass relay 109 altogether. Just pull the wire when you shut off your car...

Fuse 12 is the unswitched power source for DLC.

All you need is a short piece of wire with male fuse size pins at each end... If you don't have nice pins, you could probably just jam a wire into the fuse recepticles.

Quick and easy...
Has anyone tried this? is this verified? :confused:

I would like to try it because 109 just became suspect for me... however the thought of roasting parts on my car curbs my desire to try it... :eek:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone tried this? is this verified? :confused:

I would like to try it because 109 just became suspect for me... however the thought of roasting parts on my car curbs my desire to try it... :eek:
You can pull the R109 and jump the two pins there. I don't know if what is mentioned there will work, but if you suspect the R109, it would be best to bypass it and not wire around something else because this will test not just the relay, but the integrity of the entire circuit.

tdipod

TDI
2 2000 Beetles
Helpful Hints on 109 Replacement

I thought I had the trouble when hot starting issue this summer 2012, Paid $135 at the stealership for VW battery, which cured the issue. Had a couple of times in the past six months where the car had trouble starting. Yesterday, car wouldn't even push start. After changing the fuel filter, and checking for vacuum leaks, and mighty vaccing the fuel system, checking codes.... came across this thread. I diagnosed by aligator clipping from positive terminal of battery directly to the single post on top of the fuel shut off solenoid, and car started instantly. (only attempt this if you understand the dangers of initializing an unfused circuit and waving around a positively charged terminal in an engine compartment full of negatively charged metal.) I suspect this relay was the hard starting issue that I had this summer and that the new fresh battery with all its cranking wonder, masked the failing relay. BTW, I love this website.
Couple of procedure hints:
1. The three screws holding on the access panel that you need to remove to get to the 109 relay, are the three screws in the horizontal black plastic cover directly above the pedals. They are not the three same size torx screws that you will immediately see when you look under your dash, that secure the bottom vertical part of dash that is under the steering column.
2. The 377 relay, the one you need to remove to be able to access the 109 relay, is so big I didn't even recognize it as a relay. It is literally 6 times bigger than the other relays. It is black and approximately 3"x3"x1".

tdipod

TDI
2 2000 Beetles
I called BMA Auto Parts in Glendale, CA. I gave them the VW part number, they said in their system that it matched a Meyle fuel pump relay part#357 906 381 AMY. Cost $8. (Glendale and Pasadena Stealership wanted $45.) The Meyle box did not have that number on it. The box had part #100 830 0003/E, and below that number was reference #1J0 906 381A (which matches the VW #). I picked up the part. It is a small grey relay, about a quarter inch smaller cube than the original black one. It is in the car and for now all is well. Hint, when you are upside down looking up at the empty relay sockets, (there are several empty slots) 109 goes in the purple one.

Last edited:

loopdiloo

TDI
VW GOLF 1.9 AUTO (03)
Hi guys, I know nobody's posted on here for a while but only just discovered this website. I have a Golf 1.9 auto tdi 03 (53 UK), and been having trouble with it for a few years now. It randomly have a non start, and seems to happen mainly during the summer. So far I have changed a crankshaft sensor twice, tried a new battery,had the egr valve cleaned no one can find the problem. The fault reading always seems to give a faulty crankshaft sensor but I know now it can't be that. On another forum I was informed it could be a faulty ECU,but I am wondering if it could be this 109 relay. I've just had it back to VW who put it on their diagnostic machine and it spat out 2 faults, a faulty gearbox sensor and..a faulty crankshaft sensor ! Please can anyone help ?. Thanks guys.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I would say that you need to check the wiring for the crank sensor. Remember that the code tells you that something is wrong with the CIRCUIT, not necessarily the component.

And as cheap as the relay 109 is, I would throw a new one in there just to be sure.

loopdiloo

TDI
VW GOLF 1.9 AUTO (03)
Thanks whitedog,

I'm going to try the 109 relay first. I know at the moment the little spiral icon is coming up on the dash, glow plugs, and that's a sign that the 109 is ok, but can't understand why I only get this no start problem certain times of the year, summer, and rest of the year the car is ok. I don't think there's a fault with anything VW have found either, I personally think it's just the ECU giving false readings. I will keep you/this thread posted on any outcome. Thanks again.

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
Not sure if part numbers were listed, for relay 109, position 12 on the 13 fold panel.

Old: 357 906 381 A (Black)
New: 1J0 906 381 A (Grey)

Last edited:

loopdiloo

TDI
VW GOLF 1.9 AUTO (03)
Ok guys,

Just to update you all, had the 109 relay changed, and my car is still having the same problem. It seemed to be running ok for a day or two, then today got stuck in the parking of the supermarket as it wouldn't start up. Waited around for a while, tried a few times in between, then after a while, tried again and it did kick in. Has anyone got any ideas to what I should do now ? I think I've changed/done everything it could be. Anything would be a help. Thanks.

Jeff Strachan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
not the relay itself, or the sensor, but the wires ?

I would say that you need to check the wiring for the crank sensor. Remember that the code tells you that something is wrong with the CIRCUIT, not necessarily the component.

And as cheap as the relay 109 is, I would throw a new one in there just to be sure.
I think this is a wise statement.

I have what I believe to be a problem in my relay 109 *circuit*. I am still not seeing my GP or CEL lights come on with a new (gray) 109.

I'm posting this so I might ask a) what, say, fuse number(s) should I check continutiy with or voltage at which pin(s) at the ecu connector?, and, b) how in the name of god does one open the connectors at the end of the wiring harness at the ecu?

Jeff Strachan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
The one I picked up from a dealer last week here in greater Denver is an A, and is gray, plugs in upside down, made in Portugal. I noted to the parts guy that this was the 'new improved' one over my original black one. He kind of looked knowingly and said 'yeah, you'll get another 60 hp and go 200 mph'. ? I replied I'd just be happy if the car started, thank you.

I want to note that this part didn't fix my problem. In fact, as I write this, my car starts and runs with my original, black, 109 in there. The new one didn't fix my problem, then I was chasing an ecu power problem (I think), then that mystically went away. So I put my original 109 back in. I did, however, re-solder the spots on that one that looked questionable, but I think they were ok. Never know about that now.

One would guess the B is for Better still... ;-)

TexasWren

TDI
2000 New Beetle ALH, 2006 Jetta BRM
Just had a 2000 Beetle TDI with 200k on the clock cut out on the road. The first time it quit, all the gauges (including the speedo) dropped to zero. It came back after a couple of seconds, and the oil alarm sounded. My wife and I turned around and started heading home, but we only made it another mile before it died and stayed dead.

After towing home (with my wife threatening to call CarMax and get a GOOD car every mile of the way), I checked it with VCDS, but couldn't connect to the ECM. Looking online, I found the thread about relay 109. I did not notice what color mine was, but just wiggling it was enough to bring the ECM back to life and let me read the codes (there weren't any, except for an "intermittent ECM communication" error on the CAN bus). I pulled it and noticed that there seemed to be some slight burns on the pins, like you would expect if it wasn't making good contact. I polished up the pins, smeared silicon dialectric grease on them and reseated it. I didn't note what color my relay was (the dash is back together, now, and I'm lazy), but the "109" was printed right-side up, so I'm thinking it was an original. If it ever cuts out on me again, of course I'll replace it, but I really think that a bad connection to the socket is as likely as a bad relay.

I haven't seen it referenced anywhere, but I'm wondering if that relay also supplies the air bags, because that system showed intermittent low voltage also.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the "109" was printed right-side up, so I'm thinking it was an original. If it ever cuts out on me again, of course I'll replace it, but I really think that a bad connection to the socket is as likely as a bad relay.
People with newer TDIs than yours, and newer relays than yours, keep a spare in the glove box.

They are cheap -- much cheaper than a tow, and especially if you get stranded in a place where there's no mobile phone service so you can't call for a tow. Still $11.95 at IDParts.com and about the same everywhere else.

Rob99

.Got a new relay 109... have read all the threads that I can find on replacing it and I'll be darned if I can find it. Took off the lower plastic panel below the steering column and the fuse cover on the driver side end of the dash. Not much room to get my hand around in there and looked around with a flash light. I can see a 53, 180 and 377 relays, but cant reach them....I am missing something

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
.Got a new relay 109... have read all the threads that I can find on replacing it and I'll be darned if I can find it. Took off the lower plastic panel below the steering column and the fuse cover on the driver side end of the dash. Not much room to get my hand around in there and looked around with a flash light. I can see a 53, 180 and 377 relays, but cant reach them....I am missing something
remove relay 377 and it'll be right above it.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
So Cousin Louise had a flakey 109. She dug out the old one and this is what she pulled out:

The replacement was black. I am pretty sure she got it from the dealer. Her car is a 2002 I think.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Maybe something new has come out?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
So Cousin Louise had a flakey 109. She dug out the old one and this is what she pulled out:

The replacement was black. I am pretty sure she got it from the dealer. Her car is a 2002 I think.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Maybe something new has come out?

sometimes you can pop the cover off and take a file or sandpaper to the points bringing a troublesome relay back to working order...

I did that to several relays in a friends 05 TDI jetta recently....He thought it was a bad pickup pump when it really the fried points in the fuel pickup control relay...

A couple of fine small flat screwdrivers is all it take to pop the cover off.....

Kattzia

TDI
2000 VW Golf GLS, Flash Red, 417k and still going!
My 2000 Golf TDI with 420k has been experiencing an intermittent no start for the past month and a half. All lights turn on except the glow plug light. Engine cranks normal, but then the car starts to vibrate and shake but won't fire. The Dealership determined it was the instrument cluster and swapped it out for a used one - $450 parts & labour. Car has been starting fine until last Thursday. It was towed back to the dealer Friday morning. They've had it all Friday & all Sat and still can't figure out what's wrong. Sat afternoon, I call for an update and am told they haven't been able to get it started for the past 2 days but they just ran diagnostics on it, no codes come up but now the car starts and is starting every time.

I'm leaving a message for the Service Manager to check the 109 (601) relay. Hopefully the car won't start and then start when they swap the part. Do you think they'll pay me 110$ cdn an hour for all the reading I've done to find the trouble? I still take my 14yr old car to the dealership because I want the experts working on my car and me (who knows nothing about fixing cars) is the 1 researching the trouble for them!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
sometimes you can pop the cover off and take a file or sandpaper to the points bringing a troublesome relay back to working order...
I did that to several relays in a friends 05 TDI jetta recently....He thought it was a bad pickup pump when it really the fried points in the fuel pickup control relay...
A couple of fine small flat screwdrivers is all it take to pop the cover off.....
She pulled it apart and found the cracked solder joint for Pin 30. She would have soldered it again, but she already had a new one in.

But I'm confused about the colors. I don't ever recall anyone mentioning a 109 the color in that picture. And the new one was black instead of gray.