Registration problems in CA

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Has anyone experienced problems renewing registration on their TDI in California? I have two vehicles, a month apart in registration. My Saab shows as able to pay renewals online, even though they want me to smog it again. My TDI shows as "status changed." The only thing I could think of is related to the recall. Just wondering if anyone else encountered these problems. 2 weeks ago, it would have let me pay for renewal fees, and I don't know why I didn't do it then.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Did you get the 23O6 update? Supposedly you need that in order to register or they will not allow you to register. I had the 23O6 update and breezed thru CA smog/registration in October. I was kinda wishing I tried to pass smog without the update, just to see if they would block my registration or not.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I did not get it, because I already have a tune on my ECU. Now I'm wondering if that's why it won't let me register. I remember seeing a notice from VWoA and it stated that the update could not be applied if the ECU was tuned, not that they'd really have any way of checking.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
I did not get it, because I already have a tune on my ECU. Now I'm wondering if that's why it won't let me register. I remember seeing a notice from VWoA and it stated that the update could not be applied if the ECU was tuned, not that they'd really have any way of checking.

Yes, they electronically check. There is a national database of manufacturer recalls that is updated when the recall is performed. No emissions recall, no registration.

You'll probably need to go stock, get the recall, get the registration, and then decide to retune. You'll go through this again for the diesel gate recall.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch10/ch10_14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Lovely. And here I didn't even know the CA DMV had such a stipulation. Fortunately for me, I primarily use the car in another state (TX), so I wonder how much of a PITA it is to get it transferred through VW Credit as titled in another state.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I think you would need to provide proof of residency in Texas in order to register it in another state.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I think you would need to provide proof of residency in Texas in order to register it in another state.
And these days, before someone plays the residency game, it's good to remember we're in the computer age, and these guys talk to one another. A residency dodge will be a poor economy if some state's department of revenue sends a big bill for back taxes plus penalties in 5 years....

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.........the ghosts of Christmas past kinda sorta - - - an Orwellian (1984) concept revisited....

ez

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Lovely. And here I didn't even know the CA DMV had such a stipulation.
Really? I checked the letter I got, back in January, for the recall. It says very clearly, on the reverse side, that you will not be able to register the vehicle if the recall has not been done.

So by my reckoning, you have had 10-11 months notice of this issue.

Gunnar1971

TDI
2001 Golf 4dr
Really? I checked the letter I got, back in January, for the recall. It says very clearly, on the reverse side, that you will not be able to register the vehicle if the recall has not been done.

:confused:
They just went public 2.5 months ago with it.

On 18 September 2015, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a notice of violation of the Clean Air Act to German automaker Volkswagen Group, after it was found that the automaker had intentionally programmed turbocharged direct injection (TDI) diesel engines to activate certain emissions controls only during laboratory emissions testing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
There was an actual recall, back in January. we now understand that it was a partial attempt to improve the emissions detected by the WV folks.

there has not yet been any recall associated with the 18 sept notification

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Already done, and registration today was a breeze. Easiest vehicle registration transaction ever. I guess it also helped that there was one person in the office, no line, and this town only has 550 people.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

Not sure where I missed seeing that, but it's registered in Texas now, so I don't need to worry about that. Makes me happy, because a DPF delete is next.

And these days, before someone plays the residency game, it's good to remember we're in the computer age, and these guys talk to one another. A residency dodge will be a poor economy if some state's department of revenue sends a big bill for back taxes plus penalties in 5 years....
Not sure how it would be a residency dodge if I actually reside and work in two states. And honestly, CARB regulations are a joke anyways. I still don't understand why I used to have to get my TDI smogged every two years, when I'm shelling out 50 bucks to verify the CEL wasn't on; no tailpipe emissions were EVER checked.

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
As long as your insurance and registration are at the same address, they will assume you are a part time residence. CA is the one that might pay attention to out of state tags that are around too much. I am all for keeping your emissions as low as you can, but it is all about money when you are talking about emissions testing. I don't address a check engine light because I live in a testing area.....I address the light because I want to keep my car in good shape!!!

Donald

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What state's driver's license do you have? If it's Texas you should be fine. If not, one state or the other may object if you are pulled over. My son and daughter have both had this problem when living out of state.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Wonder if this will spread to other states as well. One's that followed California's poor judgement like Massachusetts come to mind.....

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
As long as your insurance and registration are at the same address, they will assume you are a part time residence. CA is the one that might pay attention to out of state tags that are around too much. I am all for keeping your emissions as low as you can, but it is all about money when you are talking about emissions testing. I don't address a check engine light because I live in a testing area.....I address the light because I want to keep my car in good shape!!!

Donald
CA might notice, but again, my car is in TX more than it is in CA. Thankfully, nobody here cares about emissions and ironically enough, we don't have problems with air quality. The only smoke you really see are when people like myself burn our trash, or burn green waste.

Gunnar1971

TDI
2001 Golf 4dr
There was an actual recall, back in January. we now understand that it was a partial attempt to improve the emissions detected by the WV folks.

there has not yet been any recall associated with the 18 sept notification
Ahhh, us ALHers know nothing of your troubles.

:)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Ahhh, us ALHers know nothing of your troubles.:)
Actually, some do. More than a few ALH owners with non-OE CATs have had difficulty passing SMOG in CA. The state will accept an OE CAT only on '96 and later TDIs. Dealer price for a downpipe and CAT for an ALH is around $1,200. Yikes.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Hey pkhoury, need some TDI roomates?

Even tho we would "live" there, you would barely notice our presence. Best roomates evar.

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
I have been thinking about this " angle " for my Jetta. My MTDI Passat is licensed in OR. It has no CAT or Computer + the EGR is disconnected. It also gets around 55 MPG on the highway. The Passat is not registered in my name. If I wanted to register my Jetta in OR would I need to get an OR drivers license ? what " proof " would I need to show to change the registration ?
texsize

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have been thinking about this " angle " for my Jetta. My MTDI Passat is licensed in OR. It has no CAT or Computer + the EGR is disconnected. It also gets around 55 MPG on the highway. The Passat is not registered in my name. If I wanted to register my Jetta in OR would I need to get an OR drivers license ? what " proof " would I need to show to change the registration ?
texsize
I think it varies by state. In TX, you cannot get a driver's license UNTIL you register a car here. Strange, but that's what the tax collector's office says (thankfully, our county doesn't have a DMV). As for others asking about actually living here, my car is registered at an address where I do live and receive mail. I'm honestly not worried about being pulled over, although it is difficult adjusting to the SLOW speeds of CA after driving on 75mph highways between AZ and every other state up to LA.

I suppose you could check with the OR DMV or tax collector's office to see what the requirements are. But doesn't OR adhere to CARB-regulations? I know WA does anyways.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Hey pkhoury, need some TDI roomates?

Even tho we would "live" there, you would barely notice our presence. Best roomates evar.
LOL. Keep in mind that it still costs about $200 to register a vehicle in TX the first year. It's subsequent years where registration is around $55-65, depending on each individual county. I think FL and some other states have no emissions regulations as well.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
LOL. Keep in mind that it still costs about $200 to register a vehicle in TX the first year. It's subsequent years where registration is around $55-65, depending on each individual county. I think FL and some other states have no emissions regulations as well.
FL has no emissions testing (gas or diesel) nor safety inspection. After your first year registration is ~$40/year (little cheaper for car, little more for truck).

texsize

TDI
2013 jetta DSG.
Oregon is non CARB with the exception of Portland and it could be a few other areas. The area my Passat is registered in is non CARB. Right now I am not real worried, I will wait and see what the "fix" ends up being.
I have no doubt that whatever it is it will be mandatory in CA. If it does not do any harm, if it comes with an extended warranty, and if it does not cause a loss of performance/gas MPG I have no problem with it. I like my car and will stick with it as is till I/we have some hard info.
texsize

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Oregon is non CARB with the exception of Portland and it could be a few other areas. The area my Passat is registered in is non CARB. Right now I am not real worried, I will wait and see what the "fix" ends up being.
I have no doubt that whatever it is it will be mandatory in CA. If it does not do any harm, if it comes with an extended warranty, and if it does not cause a loss of performance/gas MPG I have no problem with it. I like my car and will stick with it as is till I/we have some hard info.
texsize
I think everyone is eagerly awaiting what the fix is. You have a 2013, so I'm still going to guess it'll mostly be software. I keep hearing for the 2009-2011, it'll be software and hardware (i.e. urea-injection). My complaint is that having a wagon, I bought my car for cargo space, so any substantial area taken in the rear will defeat the purpose of my car (and mean a new vehicle).

But back to this topic - I'm still wondering if the proposed fix carries any additional or extended warranty coverage. I remember when I got the letter for the extended warranty on the HPFP, it was a slap in the face to me, as I believe the letter said 10 years or 120K (and I was at 135K at the time). I'm surprised CA didn't tell me I couldn't renew because I didn't get the gas tank nozzle fix (where you can only use certain pumps). There have been about 2 or 3 instances where I could ONLY fill up diesel with truck pump nozzles - one was in the middle of rural Nebraska.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
texsize, one of my vehicles was bought and registered in Oregon.
They send the renewals to my California address. In 28 years I've been
ticketed twice for an out of state registration and only been fined once.
The fine was much less than the cumulative CA registration fees would have been!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
texsize, one of my vehicles was bought and registered in Oregon.
They send the renewals to my California address. In 28 years I've been
ticketed twice for an out of state registration and only been fined once.
The fine was much less than the cumulative CA registration fees would have been!
I honestly don't think the cops in CA really care about out of state plates. I've been asked only twice in TX why I had CA registration and DL, and that was before I started living here half time.

BTW, has anyone heard about the new mobile smog stations that police in So Cal are using to ensure vehicles are compliant with emissions? My best friend told me they did this to him in the LA area.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The roadside sensors are placed where measured air quality overall is below standards.

this overall air quality measure drives all the compliance actions, including emissions inspection, and is set by states (after consideration of other options, like changes to vehicle inspections, powerplant rules.....)

they have the roadside monitors in northern Virginia as well. some are for research, some include cameras that read license plates which are used to send notices to vehicle owners. (in some cases it is a "you are good, skip inspection" letter)

Last edited: