Regen Behavior

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
I'm fairly familiar with the expected behavior during a regen cycle, but I've noticed something about my car that just seems a little odd. All temps that I list are in degrees F, monitoring is done via an Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge.

Passive regens in this car seem to be on par with what is expected. Highway trips exhibit temps around 650 degrees. When a real regen cycle occurs, temperatures typically from from the 950-1250 range. I have the scan gauge alarm leds set to light on temps above 950, so I know when it's happening, even if it's not a visible parameter on the gauge.

This all seems normal, but where things get confusing for me is when the car will raise its exhaust temps for very brief periods. Sometimes the I can feel the cycle kick in, and watch the temp bump up to 900-1000 degrees, then it will immediately drop back down, even when at a constant speed. I don't really understand why the car does this, other than if maybe the temps were lower than optimal so it bumps it up itself. Maybe so the DPF and NOx filters work optimally? I also noticed on my last major highway trip that it would do this around every 10-15 miles. It can be a little annoying at times because the car will stumble a little upon the start/stop of the cycle. This isn't what I know as a passive regen, as the car doesn't initiate that, but these little bumps are clearly caused by the car's computer. Boost will increase at these times as with a regen cycle as well, only it's not really going through a full cycle.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it normal? The car runs fine otherwise, mileage is good, power is good. I just feel like it's always doing this. I'd say just about every time I drive the car it will do it at least once.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
are you running on cruise control when this happens? I notice my cruise control I get less fuel economy when using. I think because its cycling power levels to maintain speed. I dont have an EGT monitor on my car so dont know temp levels. But I don't notice any hesitation or stumble. Good luck on figuring this out.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The brief periods of elevated EGTs are NOx and sulfur catalyst regenerations. The long elevated EGT period is the DPF regeneration. You'll notice that the NOx regens happen more frequently than DPF regens.

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
Thank you for the explanation and diagram. It appears then that it is normal. It's just something I notice a lot more than before now with the EGT being monitored. Part of the reason I installed this gauge was to monitor EGT as well as boost, etc...but I did not expect to see such frequent fluctuations.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
The brief periods of elevated EGTs are NOx and sulfur catalyst regenerations. The long elevated EGT period is the DPF regeneration. You'll notice that the NOx regens happen more frequently than DPF regens.

Do our NMS TDIs do this too, even though they use SCR? Or is that just for non-SCR diesels that use a NOx storage catalyst? I'm assuming these mini "NOx" regens are just to clear out the NOx storage catalyst, but I'm not sure if they play a role in SCR too.

Thanks!

TurboDieselPoint

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Do our NMS TDIs do this too, even though they use SCR? Or is that just for non-SCR diesels that use a NOx storage catalyst? I'm assuming these mini "NOx" regens are just to clear out the NOx storage catalyst, but I'm not sure if they play a role in SCR too.

Thanks!

TurboDieselPoint
No. The Passat does not do the frequent NOx regen because it has SCR.