Regarding Transmissions

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
I'm looking at a longitudinal TDI swap into a RWD car (details currently withheld), and I was wondering whether there's a possiblity of using a passat or audi 4motion transmission without using the front-wheel drive; basically only hooking up the prop-shaft to run the back wheels.

I'm asking specifically about an automatic transmission, since that's what's going to go in with the swap.

TIA!

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah...it doesn't seem optimal to use an AWD transmission for RWD; especially one where the diff is designed to be 100% FWD + slip sensing RWD. I was more wondering if there's a way to change the differential to be RWD only, and whether the cost would justify not going with some other make's RWD transmission in the first place.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
arootbeer said:
I'm looking at a longitudinal TDI swap into a RWD car (details currently withheld), and I was wondering whether there's a possiblity of using a passat or audi 4motion transmission without using the front-wheel drive; basically only hooking up the prop-shaft to run the back wheels.

I'm asking specifically about an automatic transmission, since that's what's going to go in with the swap.

TIA!
Without knowing what it is going into, I think you will have more issues. Does said vehicle have a rear differential? The output from a AWD Audi / 4Motion gear box runs through a differential, so you might be driving quite slow...

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes..it does have a rear diff. That's a good point about going through two differentials. I don't suppose there's any good way to "expose" the output shaft?

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
arootbeer said:
Yes..it does have a rear diff. That's a good point about going through two differentials. I don't suppose there's any good way to "expose" the output shaft?
I'm not a transmission expert, but I would hazzard a guess of no. Your best bet would be to use an adapter plate between the engine and existing gearbox.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got this reply back from the US westfield retailer

Thanks for your email. Off the top of my head, the only car that Westfield
factory produced using the 1.8t engine was the Audi version for the XTR4
sports racer. This was a mid-engine car with a transaxel driving the rear
wheels. As such, it would not be appropriate for a front engine, rear
wheel drive car. On top of all that, Westfield have just suspended
production of the XTR4, so I don't think they will invest any more
development into the 1.8t powerplant.

Regards,

Tom McClintock
Manik Technologies, LLC

AntonUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi80tdi, A2 ahf project in progress...
Some guy in the UK did an R32 swap into a mk2 golf and left the rear drive disconnected and just ran fwd on the r32 box. Worked apparently it was featured in a magazine in that state Ill dig it up and confirm.

shiva

Acme adapters makes an affordable adapter kit complete wiht flywheel to mate a TDI to a toyota transmission with a bellhousing pattern for a 22re motor.

For a 5spd, you can grab a toyota w55, w58, w5x transmission with the appropriate bellhousing from any early-mid 80s RWD celica. The transmission is a slick-shifting, reasonably tight ratio 5 speed overdrive, and is reasonably strong. Toyota used a weaker version of the box in the is300, and a stronger version in the 93-97 Supra non-turbo. It's a very nice box. I'd look into this for an FR set up. I actually am looking into it for an FR setup.

For an auto... grab an auto box from an old RWD celica and get a flex plate made.

Last edited:

piper106

TDI
2001 New Beetle Blue
As far as an auto trans to mate to a VW diesel;
I'll second earlier comments that trying to run a B5 chassis Paasat or Audi 4Motion / Quatro trans is NOT the way to go, too many differentials. Also saw one out of the car and cut away at the Detroit Auto Show a couple of years ago, and that transaxle is HUGE, and my guess very heavy.

Second problem mating a diesel and an auto trans is that nearly all of classic (1960s and 1970s style) Detroit auto trans used intake vacuum to adjust the shift points and pressures in the trans. Oops, a diesel does not have intake manifold vacuum, so one more work around to figure out.

If you want a classic all hydraulic 3 speed auto trans, I'd suggest the Chysler 904 TorqueFlite. Neither the small 904 nor the larger 727 TorqueFlite used manifold vacuum, you would just need to adapt the linkage that sensed throttle position.

If you want a modern 4 speed OD auto, I suggest the GM 4L60-E. In particular, I'd go with the one from a Chevy S-10 with the 2.2L engine. Bell housing is short enough to give room for an adapter plate, and small enough to clear the water outlet on the flywheel end of the VW cylinder head. No vacuum needed for the 4L60-E either, all electronic control, and aftermarket stand alone controllers for the GM trannies seem to be commonly available.

That is all I think I know.

Piper106

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
red golf tdi said:
Volvo used a VW diesel (6 cyl, 2 add'l Cyl than a VW) in the mid-1980s. Use a RWD Volvo tranny.
a different bolt pattern then the typical VW 4 cylinder. a Volvo transmission will bolt in place of a Diesel transmission

Hasenwerk

TDI
G60ING said:
a different bolt pattern then the typical VW 4 cylinder. a Volvo transmission will bolt in place of a Diesel transmission
The Volvo didn't use a four cylinder Diesel engine, so the four cylinder engines will not bolt up to a Volvo transmission.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fast_Forward said:
The Volvo didn't use a four cylinder Diesel engine, so the four cylinder engines will not bolt up to a Volvo transmission.
I never said that the volvo was a 4 cylinder. I said the bolt pattern of the Volvo was different then the typical VW 4 cylinder and that the Volovo disel transmission would not work

Ment to add in that reply that the gas volvo transmission can work in place of the volvo diesel transmission but I for some reason omitted "gas"

PPC_CGL

TDI
Westfield
G60ING said:
I've done some searching for a buy it and install it conversion so I could swap a VR6 or TDI into my Tacoma when its motor gives up the ghost (It has 245k miles now) and there are no easy options or so I thought until I read this:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=141304

sadly their website does not show a VW engine option but maybe on of the other brands listed is a VW varient: http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/buywestfield.htm
Sorry - been offline for quite a while and did not see this thread.

It is actually a partner of Westfield Sportscars, trading in the Netherlands, that does the 1.8t installations into the Westfield SEi (www.megasportscars.nl) I am currently waiting for a response from them on some questions relating to my particular application, but they definitely make gearbox adapters to mate the Audi 1.8t to a Ford MT75 gearbox.

Once I get the response and/or receive the actual hardware, I will post the details.

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
FYI the Volvo diesel was really a VW light truck engine and bell housing and has the same bolt pattern as the 5 cylinder Audi/VW gas engines. The engine displaced 2.4 liters and was a 6 cylinder and was available in turbo and non-turbo.

Hasenwerk

TDI
CoolWhiteDude said:
FYI the Volvo diesel was really a VW light truck engine and bell housing and has the same bolt pattern as the 5 cylinder Audi/VW gas engines. The engine displaced 2.4 liters and was a 6 cylinder and was available in turbo and non-turbo.
I've been pondering getting a Volkswagen LT 4x4 and they have the inline six cylinder TD engines. What are the North American models of the Volvo that have the Diesel engines? Just looking to be able to upgrade this engine if and when I get the truck.

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
Trans and engine swaps

Reading this post I noticed that nobody mentioned starters.This seems to be an issue with fit and starter rotation.Most starters are mounted on trans on VW's and not beside the engine.I have faced this problem in the past with engine swaps ,eg. 1.9 vw to GM flywheel housing .Yes running GM 4spd behind a VW engine.

piper106

TDI
2001 New Beetle Blue
Dazzler - Not only did we skip over starters, this thread has pretty well skipped over what combination of flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate can be used for a RWD application.

As far as a starter for a RWD conversion you have a couple of choices. You could use a starter from a B1 chassis (Dasher in US, Passat in Europe) or B2 chassis (Quantum in US, again Passat in Europe). These have a extended shaft that needs support from a bushing in the bell housing or adapter plate. The B5 Passat has the starter along side the engine also plus all the bearings are in the starter housing, but at least here in America we don't have many of the diesel B5s, so a diesel version of one of these starters likely would be pretty expensive. My plan is an aftermarket gear reduction starter intended for the classic air cooled VW transaxle. I've been told this pinion gear will mesh with the water cooled flywheel ring gears, plus these aftermarket starters are available in a reverse rotation version from Kennedy Engineering.

Your comment on what you have done is interesting, which GM four speed did you mate to the VW engine?? What was the clutch housing from? Did you make your own adapter plate??

Piper106