Regarding Spare Fuel Containers

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Not sure what the standards are for fuel containers outside of the Province of Ontario but here there are colour codes associated with the types of fuels in portable containers. Red being Gasoline, Blue being Kerosene and Yellow being Diesel.

Problem is, I see a lot of variety to the red/gas Jerricans in terms of volume but nothing but 25 Liter or 5 Gallon containers for the yellow/diesel containers in their chubby polygon shaped containers. Now for most big truck users, that's no problem but being in a smaller vehicle, space is critical and I really don't need that much fuel in case of an emergency. Does anyone know if the red/gas jerricans can be filled with diesel fuel? Are there smaller diesel jerricans out there?

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
As I understand it, the colours are to identify the contents for emergency responders in the event of an accident. The containers themselves are suitable for any type of fuel, and gas station operators don't care as long as it approved for fuel. If you like yellow you could paint a red can.

In my situation, misfuelling is a possibility since I use straight gas, mixed gas and diesel. Colour coded containers would help me, but are not necessary.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
All of the above. Be considerate about wrong fuel/container. Mark it appropriately, or...just don't do it!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
As I understand it, the colours are to identify the contents for emergency responders in the event of an accident.
3X, my understanding as well... they are CSA-approved for petroleum-based fuels and colour-coded for convenience. The chain-saw version, for example, houses both gasoline and oil in the same red plastic.

I've used the smaller red lawn-mower containers for diesel... but with DIESEL written on all 4 sides in thick black sharpie. :)

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
Spray paint on a smaller red can it will be then. Sorry to say Alchemist but that is an even uglier container than the standard 5 Gal diesel ones.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
Not recommended for carrying around in a trunk since the closure is spring loaded and could open if the can fell over and the handle got bumped.

I had the same thought regarding the spring loaded pouring function.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well it was to show there are smaller tanks available, but you are correct. It isn't safe to carry fuel around in your trunk either, for that matter.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
With a TDI's 500-700 mile tank range, there shouldn't be any need to carry an extra gallon of fuel in a jerry can. If your TDI's fuel tank held one more gallon than it does now, would you still want to carry an extra gallon in the trunk??

Just sayin'.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I modified a couple of spent camping size propane cylinders w a drill and steel threaded caps. I carry them with a funnel and channel lock pliers on road trips. I only filled them 85-90% full to allow for expansion. They completely contain the diesel odor. Good for all sorts of emergencies.

Edit: I did the drilling w the tanks submerged in water. Just in case there was enough propane vapor left to ignite.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
How did you guarantee you got all the drilling chips and small metal particles out?
I flushed them out with water until there were no visible bits, then set them upside down to dry on top of my woodstove. I suppose I could carry a coffee filter to put in the funnel if I was concerned. Probably never need them, but they do give a little extra peace of mind on long trips.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
I modified a couple of spent camping size propane cylinders w a drill and steel threaded caps. I carry them with a funnel and channel lock pliers on road trips. I only filled them 85-90% full to allow for expansion. They completely contain the diesel odor. Good for all sorts of emergencies.

Edit: I did the drilling w the tanks submerged in water. Just in case there was enough propane vapor left to ignite.
Hey Turbobrick! Can I get you to sign this?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I flushed them out with water until there were no visible bits, then set them upside down to dry on top of my woodstove. I suppose I could carry a coffee filter to put in the funnel if I was concerned. Probably never need them, but they do give a little extra peace of mind on long trips.
That's pretty Red Green but as he sez it's only temporary unless it works. Follow up thought............I don't know why everybody uses the "piece of mind" statement here. It appears to me it's just an excuse to do something unnecessary.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Spray paint on a smaller red can it will be then. Sorry to say Alchemist but that is an even uglier container than the standard 5 Gal diesel ones.
HUH???? What does THIS mean???^^^

MichaelB: "...piece [sic] of mind..." you say? You want a peace of MY mynde???:D:D

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
As I understand it, the colours are to identify the contents for emergency responders in the event of an accident. The containers themselves are suitable for any type of fuel,
Just curious, but how do you keep the containers from blowing up under the pressure of CNG, or becoming brittle and shattering at the temperature of LNG?:p

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's pretty Red Green but as he sez it's only temporary unless it works. Follow up thought............I don't know why everybody uses the "piece of mind" statement here. It appears to me it's just an excuse to do something unnecessary.
I knead to lurn to spell? Reely???

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Just curious, but how do you keep the containers from blowing up under the pressure of CNG, or becoming brittle and shattering at the temperature of LNG?:p
By reading in context. Coal would also be difficult in a Jerry can, but the OP was talking about gasoline, kerosene and diesel. So to keep it relevant, all fuels is a reasonable answer.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I have used red for diesel before many times. Long time back had two red plastic five gallon containers sitting in the garage near the opening of it. Used to do lot of work around the house etc and just leave door open as I did what ever. Well noticed one disappeared to who knows where and to who's gas tank. Looks good on them as I am sure they thought it was gas they were stealing for their car or what ever. Would be really funning to see the look on their face when their car ran like crap, or died and not run there after. Spelling sure didn't fix it, if they ever figured it out it was diesel fuel, if they bothered to smell the can opening??

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Red can sharpie marked "diesel" works for me.

And why carry fuel, someone asked? There is one trip where the middle to 800m portion has expensive fuel, and are often closed at night when I like to travel. No fun driving around in Miami at night looking for diesel. Get to Fla City, easy to get fuel. Carry five gal, never need to buy fuel going from NC to Key West.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have to laugh on this, as I had a MK1 Jetta diesel in which the fuel gauge was broken (as well as the odometer...) As a result I kept a small can of diesel in the trunk, which happened to be a red can since that was all I could find at the time.

The fun part came when I was working on a military grounds maintenance detail and one of the maintenance shop supervisors saw me pouring the small red can of diesel into my car and promptly came over yelling that I was stealing the mower gasoline. That lasted all of 10 seconds after he actually got there and was told it was a diesel car, and diesel fuel.

Properly marked cans are good to have, if they are the standard color it's nice, but markings help in either case.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
So after careful deliberation, I took a 5 Liter or 1 1/4 Gal container for spare fuel and spray painted it yellow and wrote with black magic marker DIESEL so there would be no confusion. Not gonna bother uploading pics, the paint job looks horrendous. That being said though, I'd rather have the first responders know it was Diesel and not gas.

As for why I would need spare fuel: I was in Scouts, they always told us to be prepared.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
So after careful deliberation, I took a 5 Liter or 1 1/4 Gal container for spare fuel and spray painted it yellow and wrote with black magic marker DIESEL so there would be no confusion. Not gonna bother uploading pics, the paint job looks horrendous. That being said though, I'd rather have the first responders know it was Diesel and not gas.

As for why I would need spare fuel: I was in Scouts, they always told us to be prepared.
Are you carrying a vacuum pump with you as well? That spare fuel might not be much help if you can't get it from the back of the car to the front.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
https://media1.giphy.com/media/fd1TSJqq3b4GI/giphy.gif

It's a jerrican. You use the provided spout to pour the spare fuel into your fuel tank in an emergency.

Also, given the fact that I can get 45-50 mpg on average, that is more than enough spare fuel.
LOL, I know what a jerrican is...lol.

I was talking about priming the fuel system in the event that you forget to fill the tank and actually run out of fuel. Since you can drive 1200 kms or more on a tank of fuel, and probably for an hour after the lower fuel warning light comes on, the only time I could imagine needing "emergency fuel" in southern Ontario is if you actually forget to fill the tank....in which case you will likely need a vacuum pump to prime the fuel system and injection pump.

That's all, just thought I'd mention it. I'd hate to see you stuck on the side of the road, pouring your emergency diesel in the tank from your new jerrican, and then still not be able to start the engine.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah okay, well then, hopefully I find a fuel station before I run out. The idea is to top up if I'm on the low fuel warning light before I run out.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Ah okay, well then, hopefully I find a fuel station before I run out. The idea is to top up if I'm on the low fuel warning light before I run out.
I think the rule of thumb is that there's about 4L of fuel left after the low warning light comes on...sometimes a little more, maybe 4.5L. I often run for 50km after my low fuel warning comes on, so I know that far at least, is safe. I wouldn't push it past that unless I had to. Just FYI.