Refueled with 13 Gallons of CRAP

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I filled up yesterday and the car wouldn't even start after filling up. It cranks and the shudders without starting. The Car ran great prior to filling up. I had the car towed home and now its time to drain the fuel tank followed by replacing the fuel filter. The Corrado has an electric fuel pump so it will be easy to drain the tank.

I'll have to have the fuel tested and send the shop the bill. Whats the procedure for recouping the funds from the gas station? The owner gave me the phone number for the department of agriculture so I could report it. It’s a fuel station that services a fleet of FedEx trucks so the turnover is pretty good. I saw one or two other vehicles ill up and pull off but I doubt they were as low on fuel as I was.

Thoughts?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If it didn't fire at all when cranking after fill up, it's probably not the fuel. With a new load of bad fuel, engine will start fine and then crap out after the fuel makes its way up to the injectors. Depending on the engine it may take a few minutes of running to stall.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I have a fuel pump that circulates the fuel through both fuel lines the moment the key is in the on position. This is a performance mod but at the same time has made it so I no longer need to bleed the injectors when the fuel system is empty.

I will be running the car with Power Service in a few minutes to prove that its a fuel issue before pumping down the tank and refilling.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I would agree with what ski said.

In addition, replace the fuel filter first. What you said about higher volume and commercial, I would bet the fuel is OK. It's possible something from your tank is blocking the fuel filter or the fuel pickup in the tank.

Tony

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
car ran great on power service. The fuel filter had a lot of rust & water in it. The fuel pump in the tank is dead. I don't think I'll be buying my fuel from this place in the future as the fuel filter was just replaced back in January when i almost sold the car. 90% of my fuel fill ups have been from this one fuel station.

I think I'll be converting to use the mk3 fuel sending unit. This is the option I dislike because it requires me to remove the ring at the bottom of the fuel tank which means there is no going back to a gasser fuel pump.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

5 gallons off the top looks great.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The car runs again. No more fuel pump, oh well. The car doesn't seem too much slower but I think it has lost some of its low RPM torque.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Doesn't sound like bad fuel to me. Even with bad fuel you would have made it off the lot no matter how you have replumbed the system.

I carry a spare filter...

Bill