Red Mark on Spedo

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It just makes it easy to see where that common speed limit is. We don't have that mark in the US.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Yup, for ease of seeing the 50 km/h in-town speed limit for Germany, France and likely others in Europe.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
And 30km/h is the speed limit for side streets in town. And there is a rule called "rechts vor links" meaning the traffic coming out of a street to your right always has the right of way in those 30km/h zones.

Lolas Dad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
On older vehicles (pre TDI) their was usually something different about the 55 MPH mark on the speedo but thankfully they did away with the 55 MPH speed limit because I Can't Drive 55

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
And 30km/h is the speed limit for side streets in town. And there is a rule called "rechts vor links" meaning the traffic coming out of a street to your right always has the right of way in those 30km/h zones.
And that is in zones with no stop signs. Quite the concept...why stop if you do not have to.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
It just makes it easy to see where that common speed limit is. We don't have that mark in the US.
We did for a time, from about 1975 to about 1985 when 55mph was the limit on every road in the USA.

"55" was highlighted in some fashion, a red line, a box around the number 55, or some other means. Finally it was dropped after some bright light in gov't realized it provides no more useful information than the speed limit sign on the side of the road.

Lolas Dad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
We did for a time, from about 1975 to about 1985 when 55mph was the limit on every road in the USA.

"55" was highlighted in some fashion, a red line, a box around the number 55, or some other means. Finally it was dropped after some bright light in gov't realized it provides no more useful information than the speed limit sign on the side of the road.
It was longer than 1985 my 1991 Ford E350 has a box around the 55 on the speedometer.

bollweevil

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle tdi
On older vehicles (pre TDI) their was usually something different about the 55 MPH mark on the speedo but thankfully they did away with the 55 MPH speed limit because I Can't Drive 55
Cool video, but he can't accelerate either. That car (and I don't think it's a tdi with mods) can pass anything it wants at anytime, but I've never tried to drive in handcuffs !!

Once had a Lamborghini - the steering wheel pretty much blocked the speedometer - but didn't matter !!

Lolas Dad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Back in the 80's I could not drive 55 and still cant. My driving record of a lot of speeding tickets back then tells that. I was one time pulled over for passing a state trooper who was doing 85 in a 55 and he said I passed him like he was standing still :D at the time I was doing 125 and no it was not a TDI. Luckily no ticket was issued.

Last edited: