Red fluid leak

Redneckeric

TDI
03 Jetta
2003 jetta tdi 5speed. Basically rebuilt the entire front and rear suspension including cv axles. Having to drop the subframe again due to control arm bolt being stripped. Looked around at what i need to unbolt and see red fluid around the bottom of the passenger side cv inner flange. Any idea what it could be?

Redneckeric

TDI
03 Jetta
Ill check that out. On furture inspection i got a little bit of fluid on the bottom of both of the cv joints. Is there a gasket that should have been replaced when swapping the axles?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Other red fluid could be coolant. If it was an auto I'd say trans fluid, but manuals should be gold

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yes there’s a cork gasket that goes between the inner cv and the flange on the manual tranny. Inner joints for the autos are usually capped. Gasket should come with new axles, inner joints, amd rebuild kits.

Redneckeric

TDI
03 Jetta
Yes there’s a cork gasket that goes between the inner cv and the flange on the manual tranny. Inner joints for the autos are usually capped. Gasket should come with new axles, inner joints, amd rebuild kits.
These axles did not come with any gaskets. So both axles should have cork gasket? Also are both left and right output seals the same? Im finding conflicting info.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
For a manual flange, there's supposed to be some sort of gasket there. I've seen some are cork, some are green paper like material.