Recommending Tom of Stafford VA for Good TDI work for VA. MD DC area

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta tdi "Blue Bob"
I notice that a lot folks were looking for good mechanics in the VA/MD/DC area.

Tom (ninedee_golf_tdi) is about an hour away from DC but is well worth the trip.

I have had good service from him on a consistent basis.

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom is still in SC.

My 96 passat started making a racket. It sounds like it could be belt related. I am in outside sales and I just happened to riding around with my boss!

Can anyone suggest a mechanic in MD area? I am about 10 miles outside of DC.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Tom is still in SC.

My 96 passat started making a racket. It sounds like it could be belt related. I am in outside sales and I just happened to riding around with my boss!

Oliver is in the baltimore area. Worst case you can come up and see me but is is a 3.5 hour ride.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
My business took much longer than I thought it would have, and since the beach was so inviting it took twice as long to get things finished up. I do have to return to SC before the beginning of December and I'll probably stay down there until New Year. So....

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Tom is still in SC.

That's nothing; While riding around with my boss when I was in outside sales, my seat frame broke. This immediately made me lie down while driving. It was repaired and welded that weekend.

jm20110

TDI
My very sick '02 Jetta TDi now back on the road. I will now call him Dr. Tom or Dr. TDi because Tom Earl hooked me up BIG TIME.

He took his own time and came to my house on several occasions to lend me a hand and give me pointers on my very sick Jetta Tdi. Tom then had my TDi towed to his place where he did an amazing job getting it back on the road. Here's the story.

I have an 02 Jetta TDi w/about 105,000 mi. that's been sitting for a while because it died on the way to work last July 09. It's been in my driveway ever since and basically I needed to either fix it or sell it so this is the message I sent to Tom.

"While passing I got white smoke and no power. Later I found that I had no oil. No idiot lights at the time of the occurrence.

I thought it was locked up but a few weeks ago I took out the glow plugs and spun the engine at the crank pulley bolt with a socket.

When I put the plugs back in it started right up and ran for about 10 seconds with a moderate amount of white smoke. There still was not much power. I've done this three times but I've had to remove the plugs, crank it for a sec or two, put the plugs back in and start. The engine seemed to get pretty hot to the touch so I'm I had to assume lots of bent things in there?"

This is where Tom comes in. I emailed him after finding him on the forum. He came out to my house and knew that it was a blown turbo which caused hydro lock and other related issues. He towed it to his place and started to work. It needed a rebuilt turbo, rods, rings, timing belt, water pump and a few other extras. To make a long story short, Tom got my baby running like a champ for a fraction of what I would have paid anyone else. Plus I got to hang out with Turbo the wonder dog and you can't put a price on that. I can't say enough about how great Tom treated me and the quality work that he did. If you need any TDi work I would highly suggest Tom from Stafford, "ninedee_golf_tdi" he is A #1.

Silver02Jetta

TDI
02 Jetta
I would also like to recommend Tom. He not only did the timing belt on my Jetta but also the serpentine and all of the pulleys that go along for way less than what the dealership wanted for the TB.

The car is my wife's commuter car and we cannot go without it for long. The local dealership was not willing to work around our schedule so that we would not have significant down time. Tom was able to squeeze it in when she had off and get the car back to us within a day.

In addition it was also a good feeling to not to have to wonder if it was done right. As long as Tom is around, my car will not be seeing the dealership.

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Tom been out of town but he made himself available via phone and saved me money even though he was out of town.

beyond the call of duty even for an RETIRED marine!

Actually I am partial to devil dog as opposed to marine.

Last edited:

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/2001/2002/2004/2009 Jetta GLS Auto/Auto/5M/5M/DSG 2010 A3/DSG
Tom has helped me on the 2000, 2001, 2002, & 2004 (PD). He has done Timing Belts, Rear Axle replacement, Suspension, Wheel Bearings, Radiator Fans, etc. On one car, he indicated that the engine was about to fall out of the car due to the previous owner stripping bolts for the motor mounts. Tom has spent a great deal of time with my cars. If there is a job that I do not want to do or cannot do, Tom is my first choice to get the job done reliably.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Since no one reads my original thread now that it's located in the vendor classified section, I guess this one will suffice. I'm headed to SC again and will be there for the month of February. I can smell the salt air of the marsh grass now. Turbo the Wrench Fetcher is chomping at the bit to go there so he can chase the sand crabs.

Calico Red

Perpetual Newbie
TDI
Passat 1996 Blue (sold 2/25/2012), Jetta 2005 Blue
Thanks for the update. I was about to arrange to make a visit with the Passat ... she's developed a small oil leak. No biggie ... it can wait until March (I think) ... and maybe the weather will be better by then.

Maybe you can attribute Turbo's size to his dietary likes? I've heard of kibble and bits, but wrench and bits :D with a side of sand crabs?

Have a fruitful trip.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
It's that time again. All the work is caught up, rearranged or postponed so tomorrow we're off again to SC hopefully for the last time. We'll be back in 30 days give or take. I can check emails once every few days if I drive across town and find a wifi place. Have a good Easter everyone.

shifterkart

TDI
2000 Golf TDI, 5 spd, Upsoluted
Timing belt change

Tom....Time for timing belt change so I'll be in touch this summer. Can you do the work on weekends?

mdtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Give me a quote on installing shocks struts and mounts and when are you back?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Merry Early Christmas in case I don't sign on again beforehand. Turbo is off running through the woods here sniffing some strange animal tracks in the dirt. Wonder if someone special made an early visit to the neighborhood kids ?