Recomendations on Exhaust?

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
My exhaust nearly fell off this week (its being held on by heavy duty zip ties at the moment... lol) after all the road salt from this winter.

So... I'm looking for a new one. I've been wanting to upgrade it for a while now too.

With my current mods I'm making about 165-170 hp and the EGT's rise very quickly to 1500+.

Is 2.5" the right size for my power?

I want it to be a little more powerful sounding than stock, but definitely not like a Honda fart can.

Is a muffler necessary? Or will a resonator do the job?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which exhaust system to use? I need everything from the turbo back.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
You could also get something like a Techtonics S.S. pipe set and go from the Cat back, straight, no muff. Little more cost but it will never die due to the stainless steel!

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
No muffler, no resonator. At minimum just straight pipe the muffler.

It doesn't get loud until catalysts start 'falling off'.

smokeater

TDI
dodge
I did a 2.5 on my 2000 beetle, used a 3' flex (it is just over 2.5 on the inside) no cat. no muffler. Sounds great, can really hear the turbo.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Due to your location, stainless steel would probably be worth it. The overall cost of a DP (they are all stainless) plus the rest of the exhaust isn't that much more with the better material. So, IMHO, JSP has the best DP design and they're in CA as well. I've had a few DP's, but not one of theirs yet. If you want specifics on WHY I think they have the best pipe, just PM me.

As far as cat/muff/resonator or any combination thereof, it's all too opinionated. There are some video clips on here of several setups but again, the loudness heard there varies due to recording devices, etc... I've had straight exhaust and it was a little too much at WOT so I got a resonator and it quieted it down enough for my needs.

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
PP downpipe is the way to go! at the moment I highly recommend Eurosport cat back turn down tips to go with it.

Last edited:

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
So 2.5" Stainless Steel, turbo back. I'm definately looking at the PP downpipe.

I should note that my catalyst seems to have mysteriously disappeared... maybe it fell of in the middle of winter due to the salt. :confused: I think I'll stick with that story.

I may drop by EMT this weekend and check some stuff out since he's local.

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a shop install a setup like this?

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Farfromovin said:
Due to your location, stainless steel would probably be worth it. The overall cost of a DP (they are all stainless) plus the rest of the exhaust isn't that much more with the better material. So, IMHO, JSP has the best DP design and they're in CA as well. I've had a few DP's, but not one of theirs yet. If you want specifics on WHY I think they have the best pipe, just PM me.

As far as cat/muff/resonator or any combination thereof, it's all too opinionated. There are some video clips on here of several setups but again, the loudness heard there varies due to recording devices, etc... I've had straight exhaust and it was a little too much at WOT so I got a resonator and it quieted it down enough for my needs.
I agree, JSP is a great place to order your DP from. Heck, they are worth the drive if you want a full custom exhaust system. Check out what they did for my car:

They built me a fully custom 3" SS exhaust system.

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
Wow... that's seriously hot. I love the twin tail pipe setup.

Unfortunately, JSP is in BC which is ~4000km away from me. Other side of the country. :(

I'll add them to my short list of possible places to buy from.

Last edited:

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
SilveR316 said:
Wow... that's seriously hot. I love the twin tail pipe setup.

Unfortunately, JSP is in BC which is ~4000km away from me. Other side of the country. :(

I'll add them to my short list of possible places to buy from.
I might be wrong, but I think they do mail-order too. PP is also in BC.

Good things come out of BC!! :D

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I had a 2.5" straight off my turbo to a side exit, but it failed our MOT test for being too loud... So I have cut-in a land rover defender (UK 4x4 off road SUV thing) which had the same 2.5" bore and it is a lot quieter. Still a straight through on full power. This was it before it was connected to my side exit pipe. :) It just goes 45 degrees to come out on the right side of the car, out of sight. ;)

StingrayRT

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A6 2.7Tdi Avant Quattro
I´ll prefer aeroexhaust turbine......lupo have it too and run quiet with minimum power loss. Key factor has to be a minimum temperature drop in exhaust tract........more exhaust heat = less density = less power drop / less exhaust heat = more density = large power drop

Milage King

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TD tuned
Farfromovin said:

Farfromovin, What kind of resonator did you use, and where did you put it? I have a 2.5" straight pipe, and there is a 8" resonator built into the pipe located under the floor before the axle. When i punch it, it sounds loud and mean around town and when its under 2200 rpm its not bad. When i get on the hi way for a few hours at 26-2800 rpm, the car gets a bit iratating with the excessive drone of the loud exhaust.

Jim